This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I'll drag this thread up, can't believe I missed it.

Yuengling Lager FTW!!! Not too hopy, nice color, good taste. Pretty much my favorite beer for almost any occasion. I've been trying to get into brown beers since the TheWhaleShark introduced me to them, but I haven't really taken to them. I also tried a Heineken mini-keg, which is an awesome way to store and distribute beer from your fridge, but I'm not such a huge fan of Heineken.

Also does anyone one have a preference on cans or bottles. I was raised that bottles were superior, but what I've been reading says that cans are the superior beer storage container. Apparently they block sun light, which is what causes skunky beer.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Brown beers? How about Newcastle Brown Ale? Easy to drink and a bit sweet. Brooklyn Brown is also a good choice. Not everybody needs to enjoy drinking fermented motor oil like I do.

As for the can thing, the issue is generally that you can't condition a beer effectively in a can. The beer has to be finished completely before it's canned, as canning preserves it as is. Bottling a beer allows for bottle conditioning, which, depending on the nature of the beer, can allow it to develop a lot of complexity. The flavors tend to meld together and mellow out during bottle conditioning. This is an essential process for many heavier and more complex ales, as the various flavors need time to mingle and mellow out before bottling.

So, some beers (generally lagers) can be canned, but some beers (often heavier ales) need bottling, casking, or some other sort of conditioning. It just so happens that a lot of the beers I like are ales that need some kind of conditioning, which leaves me with either getting things on tap (cask-conditioned whiskey porter, for example), or in a bottle.

Also, if a canned beer is temperature abused or spends too much time in the can, it can acquire a tinny taste. This is a problem with many lagers, which usually have clean and crisp flavors. Any off flavors really show through.

Skunking is a major issue with clear-ish bottles (Corona, Heineken, etc); brown glass bottles effectively block enough light to slow down the process, but exposing any bottled beer to sunlight will eventually result in skunking (with enough exposure).
  • edited July 2009
    TheWhaleShark,

I am once again astounded by your beer knowledge. Thanks for the info. I will try to find New Castle and Brooklyn. I do of course have questions if you're able to answer them.

1) Why doesn't the beer mingle in the can like it does in the bottle? They both contain the liquid and I'd think the typical shipping process would mix things up nicely.

2) On cans developing a tinny taste, I think this might be somewhat dated info. All modern cans are now lined to prevent this from what I've read. You can still get a bit of tinny taste if you drink it straight from a can, but every proper beer drinker pours their beer in a glass.

I'm currently enjoying the remains of the Heineken keg and some buffalo chicken. Delicious. ^_^
  • I'm a big fan of Moose head lager which is a lighter feeling beer and doesn't make you feel like you just had a meal. Not too expensive either and I usually can get a bottle for around a dollar most days if it isn't on tap.

If i can't get a moosehead I usually will get a pack of ice house as a substitute. Its not as good but enjoyable.
  • Moosehead= 153 calories
    Yuengling Lager= 135-140 calories
    Heineken = 166 calories
    Ice House 5.0-5.5 (No idea what that means.) = 132-149 calories
    Guinness Draught= 125 calories

The Winner and still "OMG! I can't believe it doesn't have like four MILLION calories per glass!" Champion is... Guinness!!! WOOT!

FACTS AND SOME OTHER SURPRISING INFO ABOUT BEER YOU THOUGH YOU KNEW AND LOVED
  • A friend of mine told me about a beer called Torpedo. I've been looking but I can't find it in my area. The search continues.
  • edited July 2009

1) Why doesn't the beer mingle in the can like it does in the bottle? They both contain the liquid and I'd think the typical shipping process would mix things up nicely.
    When a beer conditions, it's really undergoing a longer, slower fermentation. There needs to be some kind of live yeast in order for that to work. As the yeast continue to ferment, they continue to change the character of the beer. Again, this is most pronounced with ales, which tend to have complex and varied flavors because of fermentation byproducts.

Generally, canned beer has very minimal headspace. That allows for a compact design; a can of beer is designed to hold 12 ounces of liquid and a tiny bubble of carbonation. As such, you can't can beer with yeast in it, or else the pressure from the slight amount of fermentation that occurs would cause the can to swell and burst. Cans also need gas pressure to maintain their rigidity, so most canned beer is cleared of yeast and carbonated by forced CO2 injection, instead of having weak cans that are waiting for yeast to generate enough gas to become rigid.

Technically, most bottled beer is also cleared of yeast and carbonated by forced CO2 injection, but a bottle allows you to do full bottle conditioning. Also, bottles are reusable simply by washing and sanitizing. You actually have to make a brand new can each time. This makes bottles ideal for home brewers.

EDIT: Yes, contrary to popular belief, Guinness is actually pretty light in the calorie department. That's because the grain used to make it, notably roasted unmalted barley, doesn't actually contain any sugars that yeast can ferment. It winds up constituting a large part of the grain bill, but most of the stuff that gives Guinness its body isn't digestible, and thus has minimal caloric content. It's also a dry stout, so there's next to no residual sugar.

The only beer named "Torpedo" that I can find is Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA. I would not recommend that beer unless you really love hops. IPA is already a very hoppy and bitter style, and Extra IPA is even moreso. Expect a taste not unlike a pine cone.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited July 2009
    Excellent information, many thanks good sir.

On a side note, I got a pack of Guinness Extra Stout as dessert for tonight. All I can say is, "ooooooooo, that's why people like this." Good stuff, waiting on a plate of french fries to accompany the feast in a glass. :)
  • Icelandic beer, while better than some of the major American beers, are not so hot.
  • Apparently beer was banned in Iceland until March 1, 1989. WIKI

That may have something to do with it.
  • There's quite a variety across the forums for beer especially to me as there are many beers made and sold domestically in the US that don't even make a blip on the Australian market. When I lived in Sydney my housemate and I brewed beer, it was quite the achievement to get our first 26 litres which didn't taste all that great but we improved a hundred fold on our next batch ever since those months I can't stand the taste of regular beers on the market.
    Some of my favourites which may or may not be accessible by the US market -

"Little Creatures Pale Ale" - my favourite beer, started off at a microbrewery called "Little Creatures" (the building originally housed a crocodile farm which I had visited as a kid) that was a 5 minute drive from University, I was surprised when I suddenly saw it popping up in the occasional liquor store then suddenly in supermarkets and when I visited the UK, it was there as well. It spun me out
    It's brewed with Cascade (floral) and Chinook (bitter) whole hop flowers. It sounds very hoppy and it is, some people find it a little too sweet but there is a depth of taste not found in many beers.

"Amstel Lager" - a light pilsner malt which has a little bit of a wheat taste to it, I'm sure you have access to this as the company was bought out by Heineken

"Cooper's Pale Ale" - I know it's another pale ale but it is another one I like to have on occasion.
    I'm a big fan of Hoegaarden. It's a Belgian white wheat beer and is pretty distinctive.
    This beer is quite interesting but not one that agrees 100% with my palate, it's subjective though!
  • Apparently beer was banned in Iceland until March 1, 1989.WIKI That may have something to do with it.
    That has been mentioned a lot here. It seems that it didn't really stop people from having it.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm pleased to announce that FRC001, a wild strain of yeast isolated from chocolate syrup, has completed its fermentation of my test batch after 21 days. Its apparent attenuation is approximately 77%, and can tolerate at least a 10% alcohol concentration (by volume). Next step is to brew Pete's Bitter Black Existence, an imperial stout with notes of coffee and chocolate, on the dry side. This yeast creates a very dry finish on the palate, so that will allow the flavors of the specialty malts and the hops to shine through. The goal is to make an imperial stout that is almost too stout to drink, "almost" being the key word.

It should finish at around 10.5% ABV and 85 - 90 IBU's, meaning it will be alcoholic and bitter. And black. And bitter. Did I mention bitter?

There will be pictures.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'm pleased to announce that FRC001, a wild strain of yeast isolated from chocolate syrup, has completed its fermentation of my test batch after 21 days. Its apparent attenuation is approximately 77%, and can tolerate at least a 10% alcohol concentration (by volume). Next step is to brew Pete's Bitter Black Existence, an imperial stout with notes of coffee and chocolate, on the dry side. This yeast creates a very dry finish on the palate, so that will allow the flavors of the specialty malts and the hops to shine through. The goal is to make an imperial stout that isalmosttoo stout to drink, "almost" being the key word.

It should finish at around 10.5% ABV and 85 - 90 IBU's, meaning it will be alcoholic and bitter. And black. And bitter. Did I mention bitter?

There will be pictures.
    That sir sounds like it could be a brilliant beer.

Also anyone else try the Guinness 250? I would recommend it for anyone that likes the taste of Guinness, but finds it too thick.
  • Regular Guinness is starting to taste a bit watery to me.

The Extra Stout, however, is the business.
  • edited July 2009
    The Extra Stout, however, is the business.
    As far as guinness goes, extra stout is indeed the business.
    I've really been enjoying Liberty Ale from Anchor Brewing Co. It's a hazy APA that has a nice bitter flash on the palate with flowery undertones. It has very flavorful hops to it that works well with the earthy yeast. I find that it's a great summer brew to enjoy on a hot evening.
    I've really been enjoying Liberty Ale from Anchor Brewing Co. It's a hazy APA that has a nice bitter flash on the palate with flowery undertones. It has very flavorful hops to it that works well with the earthy yeast. I find that it's a great summer brew to enjoy on a hot evening.
    My favorite summer beer, other than Blue Point Blueberry Ale, is Hennepin from Brewery Ommegang. It's a traditional saison: a little sweet and tart, with a rustic flavor and mild hop notes. It's refreshing and tasty. Blue Point Blueberry has a bit of a toasty malt flavor with a streak of blueberry that isn't too overpowering.
    This is Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium brewing company. It's quite decent; goes down smoothly and has a fairly mild toasty malt flavoring with not much hoppiness.

Also bought some Sam Adams Double Bock for the holiday weekend.
  • (Largely useless but related video post)

• Sometimes I wish I liked at least some beer, eh,
    It's definitely an acquired taste.
    I'm with you there. I don't think at all, and not for lack of trying. Not drinking leaves you out of a lot of social situations that I'd like to be a part of. But try as I might, I can't get into any alcohol -- don't like the taste of any of it, and I don't like being even a little bit drunk.
  • ...Not drinking leaves you out of a lot of social situations that I'd like to be a part of...
    So not true. My friend Jenn goes to the bar with us all the time and she doesn't drink. We like doing trivia and she loves it. You don't need to drink to be in a bar. Their is a lot of other stuff to do. Darts, pool, watch drunk chicks fall off bar stools,,, etc. Offer to be the DD for some of your friends and they will love you forever. Make them buy your dinner when you go out or at least pay for your soda. I know a lot of bars that give free soda to the DD.
  • I also hate bars.

:)
    I'm the same way. However, this is probably the closest I'll ever get to drinking something that can be mistaken for beer.

My friend introduced me to this as we were playing Pandemic. It was pretty damn tasty. I'll probably buy some for the Halloween Gamer Party tomorrow.

(Please don't kill me beer lovers. >.>)
  • (Please don't kill me beer lovers. >.>)
    Ok, but only because you asked nicely.
  • I also hate bars.

:)
    I used to, but I have found a couple that are essentially coffee shops that serve alcohol instead.
  • I used to, but I have found a couple that are essentially coffee shops that serve alcohol instead.
    Yeah, liking a bar depends entirely on the bar itself. Some are cool and fun, some not so much. I go to a karaoke/sports bar, the people there are generally cool and fun loving.