This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Wine bars are nice too, as are lounges.
  • Sushi Bars are the best ~_^
  • I'm with you there. I don't think at all, and not for lack of trying. Not drinking leaves you out of a lot of social situations that I'd like to be a part of. But try as I might, I can't get into any alcohol -- don't like the taste of any of it, and I don't like being even a little bit drunk.
    Yay! Scott has found a friend! I don't really get very drunk often (I never get super drunk like some of my college friends did) but I really like the taste of alcohol. I must say, though, that I can understand people who don't like how alcohol tastes. It really is something you get used to. I started drinking small glasses of table wine at the dinner table when I was a teenager, and now I associate it as a food flavor more than anything else.
    Wine bars are nice too, as are lounges.
    Yeah, in NY there are a bunch of really fun and hip bars, not like some Tipsy McStaggers random sports bar. Come to think of it, most "bars" I go to have at least another reason for me being there other than booze. Speaking of which, I want to try Decibel, that sake bar on Stuyvesant sometime.
  • Yay! Scott has found a friend!
    Maybe I've got Scott wrong, but I've always been under the impression that he's never tried. I've tried -- I've gotten varying degrees of drunk, from just a little buzzed, to completely wasted, doing handsprings in the street and throwing up. I just don't like the feeling of being drunk at all.
  • Maybe I've got Scott wrong, but I've always been under the impression that he's never tried.
    Yeah. He's never really tried booze and certainly never gotten drunk.
  • However, this is probably the closest I'll ever get to drinking something that can be mistaken for beer.
    You might like some Belgian ales. They're a bit sweeter (close to a semi-dry wine in sweetness) and maltier than most other beer. Hop presence is minimal, and it's just there to add a touch of complexity. Many of them are reminiscent of a heavier cider.

Try Hennepin from Ommegang. It's light, sweet with a slightly tart finish, and refreshing.
  • edited October 2009
    I am a big fan of weissbier and stouts. I recall having a Hacker-Pschorr hefeweizen (overseas) that was absolutely incredible.

Ah, beer. How wonderful it is.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    I don't think I can ever imagine myself not trying new things. Why would anyone not want to try new things, that's how you get either enjoyment or misery out of the world? Besides, it allows you to break away from ridiculous and dumb rigidity manacles that just hold you back and eventually make you a sad person in the long run.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • You might like some Belgian ales. They're a bit sweeter (close to a semi-dry wine in sweetness) and maltier than most other beer. Hop presence is minimal, and it's just there to add a touch of complexity. Many of them are reminiscent of a heavier cider.

Try Hennepin from Ommegang. It's light, sweet with a slightly tart finish, and refreshing.
    Thanks. I'll have to be on the lookout for that sometime.
  • Me and one of my roommates have taken up the task of tasting all kinds of beer avialable to us. We have been doing this for a while now but just recently we realized we should be keeping one bottle of each beer we taste, just for bragging rights. So far this is what he have.

There is a Shiner and a Dundee variety pack, Miler High Life, Heineken Dark Lager, Indio, and Cherry Wheat Sam Adams. The Cherry Wheat really surprised I was not expecting to like it at all.
  • Me and one of my roommates have taken up the task of tasting all kinds of beer avialable to us. We have been doing this for a while now but just recently we realized we should be keeping one bottle of each beer we taste, just for bragging rights. So far this is what he have.

There is a Shiner and a Dundee variety pack, Miler High Life, Heineken Dark Lager, Indio, and Cherry Wheat Sam Adams. The Cherry Wheat really surprised I was not expecting to like it at all.
    That looks a bit like my fridge.
  • Beer Spa, anyone?
    I consider this to be a huge waste of a great resource. And I think it would just feel and smell disgusting anyway.
  • How about beer vendors in the bathroom at ballgames? Keep it classy, Maryland!
  • How aboutbeer vendors in the bathroomat ballgames? Keep it classy, Maryland!
    Fed Ex Field is actually in DC. Keep it classy, DC.
  • You might like some Belgian ales. They're a bit sweeter (close to a semi-dry wine in sweetness) and maltier than most other beer. Hop presence is minimal, and it's just there to add a touch of complexity. Many of them are reminiscent of a heavier cider.

If we are on that subject, what do you think about lambics? I know some fruit-flavored ones available in my area, so I'm curious about it. It's this brand in particular:

• I know some fruit-flavored ones available in my area, so I'm curious about it.
    I'm not a big fan, but then again, I also don't like very fruity beers either.

Lambics are usually a bit sour because they're spontaneously fermented; no brewer's yeast is employed in their fermentation. I've had the fruit blended ones (the exact brand that you have pictured: Lindeman's), in raspberry (framboise) flavor, and I have to say, you really need to like the fruit used for the blend in order to enjoy the beer. The raspberry one that I've had tasted like a raspberry slushie.

They're lower in alcohol, though (3-ish percent ABV), so they're very drinkable if you like sweet drinks.
  • TheWhaleShark doesn't like things that taste good.

Lambics are kind of a chick beer or even worse,,, French @_@ Go for a hard cider instead. Strong Bow is bad ass from the tap but horrible from a bottle. Blackthorn is mild with a slightly sour aftertaste. Woodchuck is alright and comes in a lot of different varieties. Hornsby's is not so great.
  • Lambics are kind of a chick beer or even worse,,, French @_@ Go for a hard cider instead. Strong Bow is bad ass from the tap but horrible from a bottle. Blackthorn is mild with a slightly sour aftertaste. Woodchuck is alright and comes in a lot of different varieties. Hornsby's is not so great.
    What? What? What? How is hard cider any more or less manly than a lambic?
    Also, watch out Wyatt, you play into that stereotype too much and it may just stick.
  • How is hard cider any more or lessmanlythan a lambic?
    Because anything that can be turned into a beverage called "Applejack" gets a manly seal-of-approval.
  • edited November 2009
    Lambics are kind of a chick beer or even worse,,, French @_@ Go for a hard cider instead.
    Rym likes lambics! But, then again that isn't a very strong refutation, as he is kind of an effeminate Europhile (my perfect guy!). I would say that rather than being a "chick beer," it's more a beer for people who drink wine.
    Post edited by gomidog on
    Well, hard cider has the word hard in the name. Like a penis. Or a six-pack. Or a tight, well-muscled ass. All that hetero manly stuff.

Lambics are Belgian. That makes them practically French. And we all know that French men are pussy faggots, what with their wine drinking and making love to women all day.
  • Rym is Belgian, which makes him practically French.
    He is also American Indian, but he forgets about that part of his heritage.
    Rym...I mean France.
  • Could anyone recommend a beer for someone who hates beer? My experience was a sip and a whiff of a Heineken. Yuck!
  • TheWhaleShark doesn't like things that taste good.
    That's good; it means he can tolerate eating his own words, which happens a disturbing proportion of the time. *OHSNAP*
    Beer Spa, anyone?
    AHHHHH! It burns, it burns!
  • Could anyone recommend a beer for someone who hates beer? My experience was a sip and a whiff of a Heineken. Yuck!
    Try Coopers Pale Ale or Coopers lager, Most people I know who don't like beer tend to find it enjoyable.
    If you don't like beer, don't drink beer. Try something else. Plenty of wine, ciders, and spirits out there.
  • edited November 2009
    That's good; it means he can tolerate eating his own words, which happens a disturbing proportion of the time. *OHSNAP*
    I don't eat my words that frequently. I often send them back to the kitchen to be made properly, but rarely do I actually have to eat them.

EDIT: And besides, you like my words. They're all sweet and pleasant.

At least, you'd better like my words. Bitch.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    Well, hard cider has the wordhardin the name. Like a penis. Or a six-pack. Or a tight, well-muscled ass. All that hetero manly stuff.

Lambics are Belgian. That makes them practically French. And we all know that French men are pussy faggots, what with their wine drinking and making love to women all day.
    That would be the beer making capital of the world Belgium.