This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Could anyone recommend a beer for someone who hates beer? My experience was a sip and a whiff of a Heineken. Yuck!
    Keep drinking it, it's an acquired taste. Try Yuengling.
  • Could anyone recommend a beer for someone who hates beer? My experience was a sip and a whiff of a Heineken. Yuck!
    Heineken is ass.

Do you like any other alcohols?
  • Yesterday I drank beer after a long time. I decided to go for a guinness. It turns out that the bar made their own beer so I got the darkest that they had. I glad to say that I still have resistance to alcohol after all this years. Though I still preffer my sweet wine and Pisco.
  • Magic Hat Howl is a amazing dark ale. It maybe my favorite beer in their line up.
  • Heineken is ass.
    Hey now, I like that ass.
  • Heineken is ass.
    Hey now, I like that ass.
    What do light beers and sex in a canoe have in common???

They are both fucking close to water!
  • LOL, good one. And for the record I drink lagers, I don't do actual light beer.
  • Do you like any other alcohols?
    I occasionally drink white wine. Other than that, nothing.
  • I occasionally drink white wine. Other than that, nothing.
    Racist.
  • I occasionally drink white wine. Other than that, nothing.
    Racist.
    LOL, wut?
    I prefer white wines, but it has more to do with the fact that red wine usually gives me headaches after consuming half a glass.
  • edited November 2009
    red wine usually gives me headaches after consuming half a glass.
    You may have a sulfite sensitivity. Red wines are loaded with 'em. How well do you do with shrimp? Dried apricots?
    Do you like any other alcohols?
    I occasionally drink white wine. Other than that, nothing.
    Dry? Sweet? Middle of the road? Do you prefer a lighter body (like a Riesling) or a fuller body with more pear notes (like a Chardonnay)?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • red wine usually gives me headaches after consuming half a glass.
    You may have a sulfite sensitivity. Red wines are loaded with 'em. How well do you do with shrimp? Dried apricots?
    I am fine with both shrimp and dried apricots. Somehwere I read that it has something to do with tannins. Oh, there is a wikipedia page about Red Wine Headache (RWH) (take the information within it for what it is worth - it is wikipedia afterall). RWH
  • I don't care what type of wine is it as long as it is sweet :P
    Has anyone ever tried sake? I think I will try that today if it is not raining outside :P
  • Has anyone ever tried sake? I think I will try that today if it is not raining outside :P
    Tried yes. Drank till I threw up chunks of pretzel though my nose. Double yes. I can't get near the stuff anymore.
  • Drank till I threw up chunks of pretzel though my nose.
    WHOA! You threw up chunks of your wee wee through your nose?!
  • edited November 2009
    Drank till I threw up chunks of pretzel though my nose.
    WHOA! You threw up chunks of your wee wee through your nose?!
    Yup. Luckily my junk didn't make it all the way out and I was able to get everything back in working order with just some popsicle stick, fishing line and duck tape.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • I am fine with both shrimp and dried apricots.
    Ah, OK then. The tannins make more sense in that case. Tannic acid or something like that, I think. Reds are also loaded with 'em. The condition is more prevalent with asthmatics.
  • Yup. Luckily my junk didn't make it all the way out and I was able to get everything back in working order with just some popsicle stick, fishing line and duck tape.
    way to pull a macgyver! I don't usually drink, but when I do drink beer it always ends up being grain belt.
  • Dry? Sweet? Middle of the road? Do you prefer a lighter body (like a Riesling) or a fuller body with more pear notes (like a Chardonnay)?
    Sorry, I was a bit rushed to elaborate. I prefer the light stuff by a long shot. I'm still new to drinking, though, so I might change my preference later.
  • Sorry, I was a bit rushed to elaborate. I prefer the light stuff by a long shot. I'm still new to drinking, though, so I might change my preference later.
    Same here for whenever I drink wine. I like the muscat canelli from Chateau Ste. Michelle. I went there for a tour once. It was pretty fun.
  • edited November 2009
    I prefer the light stuff by a long shot.
    Pilsners, lighter lagers, and cider, then. Avoid Heineken. Try Yuengling Lager, Pilsner Urquell, Stella Artois, Corona, Peroni, and Red Stripe.
  • I prefer the light stuff by a long shot.
    Pilsners, lighter lagers, and cider, then. Avoid Heineken. Try Yuengling Lager, Pilsner Urquell, Stella Artois, Corona, Peroni, and Red Stripe.
    Also, if you want a lighter beer that actually has some taste to it, try wheat ales (aka hefeweizens). The most popular one is probably Blue Moon. Hard to say what else might be available around the country since most of the beers I drink in this category are all local to the Pacific Northwest.
  • The most popular one is probably Blue Moon.
    I'm going to be a beer snob right now.

Blue Moon is technically a streamlined witbier (aka Belgian white). Hefeweizen is German (well, Bavarian, if it matters to you), and they're generally fruitier than witbier. Witbier tends to be a bit spicier and tangier. I also wouldn't necessarily call them "light" bodied; they're more middle bodied, generally, with a pretty solid malt character. They are, however, wicked delicious.

Blue Moon is decent, but it's not a "true" witbier. I've had proper witbier before, and it tastes slightly of pee, because of the high nitrogen content. I'm not a big fan. Blue Moon, for the record, does not taste of pee.

Hefeweizens, however, are damn delicious. I highly recommend Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier; it's creamy and medium-bodied, and tastes of banana, cloves, and a bit of yeast. It's an excellent summer beer.

Also, and it pains me to say this, Bud Light Golden Wheat is actually not bad. It's not amazing, but it's light, crisp, and a bit fruity. It's basically AB's answer to Blue Moon, using hefeweizen instead of witbier.

I feel so dirty saying that.
  • I'm going to be a beer snob right now.
    Interesting, I falsely assumed that wheat beer was equivalent to hefeweizen, when it is in fact just a subtype. I've only been drinking for a little over two years, so I'm still learning. So, as far as wheat beers are concerned, I regularly drink Blue Moon, Shock Top, Hoegaarden, Widmer Hefeweizen, Pyramid Haywire, and Mac and Jacks Serengeti Wheat. The last three are local, so I don't know how far their reach is.
  • edited November 2009
    Well, hefeweizen is a wheat beer. Witbier is also a wheat beer. It's actually very confusing. :) They're very closely related styles, but hefeweizens, as I said, tend to be fruity and pleasant, whereas true witbier tastes like spicy cat piss.

I mean, I'm not one to judge; if spicy cat piss is your thing, be my guest, but I prefer things that taste good. :P
    Shock Top
    This is also a good choice. I'm really proud of the macro lager manufacturers; they've realized the popularity of micro-brew styles, and they're starting to introduce their consumers to them. It's like a freakin' beer renaissance over here.
  • How aboutbeer vendors in the bathroomat ballgames? Keep it classy, Maryland!
    Fed Ex Field is actually in DC. Keep it classy, DC.
    No it's not.It's in PG county MD despite being a DC team. Non local say what!?

Anyway, I found my beer. The only beer I can tolerate and enjoy fully. This story is a sad one. I discovered it at a local weekly goth party. I asked the bartender for a recommendation. She gave me this. I drank it every weekend I was there until the unthinkable happened. It ran out and they never got anymore again.
    This is the beer in question. My sweet bottled lover.

Plus, I looked in every liquor store I see and can't find it! Argh!
  • Anyway, I found my beer. The only beer I can tolerate and enjoy fully.
    [picture of Hard Cider]
    I do not think that word means, what you think it means.
  • What? I don't get it. I'm just dumb aren't I?
  • edited November 2009
    beer (a general name for alcoholic beverages made by fermenting a cereal (or mixture of cereals) flavored with hops)
    also Inigo Montoya, of course.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Just got my hands on a Dogfish head 90 minute IPA. 9% ABV, it's like someone mixed a shot of vodka with a hoppy beer. ^_^