This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• No beverage is worth $150.00 to me.
    I've had a lot of expensive drinks, liquor and wine both, and I'll tell you that there are many beverages that are well worth $150, but very few of the beverages priced at $150 are among them.
    The problem with these things is that often, rich idiots drink things purely to impress other very rich idiots, irrelevant of the taste or quality - also known as "Cristal syndrome" - As in, though Bollinger might make a superior champagne for cheaper, they will buy $400 a bottle Cristal because it's $400 a bottle, and the bottle says Cristal on it.
  • I had a sip of Utopia the other day at the local pub (yes, pub. not bar), and it was quite good. I'm very inexperienced with Cognac, but it has made me very, very interested in learning more. Also, that bottle is pure manliness.

As for beers, I didn't really enjoy them until about two or three years ago. Of course, being in California, I like Negro Modelo and such Mexican beer. I need to drink more European beers. My dad swears by Pilsner, but he says the imported variety is weak compared to the stuff you get on the continent (he's from Rome).
    As in, though Bollinger might make a superior champagne for cheaper, they will buy $400 a bottle Cristal because it's $400 a bottle, and the bottle says Cristal on it.
    The people who work at Bollinger are assholes, but they do make a pretty good 'champagne.'
  • Well, Peter's Bitter Black Existence clocks in at 7.7% ABV. That's lower than I was hoping for, but it's still in the Imperial range. My hydrometer readings were totally accurate, so at least I have a solid sense of what I'm doing. There were also a couple of issues with the fermentation (pitched too warm, stuck for two weeks), so I'm hoping that correcting those issues will give me a better attenuation.

I hope to brew Dire Beer this Wednesday.
  • I hope to brew Dire Beer this Wednesday.
    I need to have one of your beers when I come up for new years.
  • I really, really want to try this Bitter Black Existence. If you have any extra, I would pay real American money for a bottle of the stuff.
  • edited December 2009
    I really, really want to try this Bitter Black Existence. If you have any extra, I would pay real American money for a bottle of the stuff.
    I'll count what I've got. I want to say I have about 30 bottles left. Also, I won't accept payment for this batch, since it's experimental. The feedback is more valuable than money. Once I nail the recipe and the process, though, I'll gladly take your money. :P

I don't know what the laws are regarding the shipment of alcoholic beverages, but I want to say it's not allowed. I'll look into it.

EDIT: So I think it's illegal to ship liquids via the postal service, but FedEx and UPS should be A-OK. I'll cut you a deal: you pay for the entire cost of shipping, and I'll send you a bottle of my beer.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Nate, aren't you under-age?
  • edited December 2009
    Nate, aren't you under-age?
    Oh, is that the case?

I will not supply a minor with alcohol. Sorry. The law is bullshit, but it's the law and I'd rather not risk getting nailed on that.
  • I don't know what the laws are regarding the shipment of alcoholic beverages, but I want to say it's not allowed. I'll look into it.
    Over state lines, there's all sorts of BS involved. Be warned. ^_~
  • I wish to say that I now have faith in beer after ordering a delicious one at this pub that me and my brother go to on special occasion.

It was fantastic. It's a very good dessert beer, like the Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper of Beer. But I really enjoyed it and enjoyed it twice as much because I didn't have to pay for it. Sits proudly on my mantle. I really have to look more into Belgian Beers. Any recommendations?
  • I really have to look more into Belgian Beers. Any recommendations?
    Well, you need to decide if you're interested in lambics or beers. The kasteel is a fruit beer, closer to a lambic. Belgian beers are sublime. I highly recommend Delirium Tremens, Trappistes Rochefort 10 (the 8 is also good, if you can't find the 10), Chimay Blue, and Orval Trappist Ale. Basically, look for the Trappist ales.
  • So do you drink these warm, cold, or sorta chilled?
  • So do you drink these warm, cold, or sorta chilled?
    Drink them cool. Most Trappist ales have a recommended serving temperature on the bottle. 50 degrees or so is a good starting point.
  • Dire Beer is done fermenting. I'm giving it another couple of weeks to condition up, and then I'm bottling. 7.03% ABV. Good times.
  • Dire Beer is done fermenting
    Your beer always has the best names.
  • edited February 2010
    Your beer always has the best names.
    I can't take credit for this one either. Uglyfred suggested it. It fit the idea I had, so I ran with it.

EDIT: Here's the description, destined to go on the back of the label:

Dire Beer
    Life can be complicated; the die of fate rarely rolls in our favor.
    Sometimes our best endeavors end in critical failures, and sometimes an 8,000 pound eating machine tears out of the woods, hell-bent on turning you into a snack.
    So remember to take some friends with you. Share good fun, good stories, and good beer.
    And who knows, one of them might save your ass one day.
    Dire Beer: Because it's dangerous to go alone.
  • Your beer always has the best names.
    I can't take credit for this one either. Uglyfred suggested it. It fit the idea I had, so I ran with it.

EDIT: Here's the description, destined to go on the back of the label:

Dire Beer
    Life can be complicated; the die of fate rarely rolls in our favor.
    Sometimes our best endeavors end in critical failures, and sometimes an 8,000 pound eating machine tears out of the woods, hell-bent on turning you into a snack.
    So remember to take some friends with you. Share good fun, good stories, and good beer.
    And who knows, one of them might save your ass one day.
    Dire Beer: Because it's dangerous to go alone.
    That is fantastic. I think OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale has a competitor in terms of speaking to the audience.

But my update, for about a week ago, was drinking Dogfish Head's Olde School, which is a Barleywine.

REALLY good. Even took me for a spin since it was 15% ABV. It was sweet on contact, but when it goes down, it feels like the air rolls into your cheeks and leaves a bitter taste. Very nice.
  • Even took me for a spin since it was 15% ABV.
    There's a BBQ joint in Urbana that sells a weissbier that is 17% ABV. It comes in a 21oz bottle. I am eager to try it.
  • Oh man, I loves me some Dogfish Head. You should try the World Wide Stout. 18% ABV, and it's usually around $10 for a 12-ounce bottle. It's very much worth it.

I've had many a good barley wine, but it's a tough style, I must say. Stone's Old Guardian will put some goddamn hair on your chest; it's around 13% ABV, and it comes in 22 oz bombers. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I need to get my hands on the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. It's 20% ABV and allegedly one of the finest beers in American brewing.
  • I had some good Dogfish Head Pumpkin Stout. I ordered it just because of the name.
  • Guy I know just blogged about bacon beer:
  • edited February 2010
    Oh man, I loves me some Dogfish Head. You should try the World Wide Stout. 18% ABV, and it's usually around $10 for a 12-ounce bottle. It's very much worth it.

I've had many a good barley wine, but it's a tough style, I must say. Stone's Old Guardian will put some goddamn hair on your chest; it's around 13% ABV, and it comes in 22 oz bombers. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I need to get my hands on the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. It's 20% ABV and allegedly one of the finest beers in American brewing.
    I can get those relatively easily where I live. My brother also adores Dogfish Head but he enjoys the stouts and ales more than me (and has had more experience). He's only had the 120 Minute IPA ONCE and it was pure black and he told me it took him an hour to drink it. It was like drinking a whole loaf of bread.

The beer he's obsessed with at the moment is Bell's Special Double Cream Stout which is really loves. (I got him a 6-pack, he hugged me.) Has a really nice coffee taste and is actually tastes better un-fridged according to what he says.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited February 2010
    Has a really nice coffee taste and is actually tastes better un-fridged according to what he says.
    Most very dark and heavy beers taste better at warmer temperatures. You should start it somewhere around 55 F and let it warm up over the course of drinking it. Depending on the beer, that can readily take an hour. I've successfully finished one bottle of World Wide Stout, and it took me around an hour or so to do it.

EDIT: I don't think that rauchbier actually contains bacon. It just uses a high proportion of smoked malt, which imparts a bacon-like flavor. Smoked beers are hit-or-miss, I find.
  • I feel I'm going to offend pretty much everyone in this thread when I say that when I drink beer it's usually a 32 oz. of Miller High Life. Which still beats most of the alternatives I'm presented with.
  • Which still beats most of the alternatives I'm presented with.
    Yes, but only just. I'll forgive it just this once if you drink at least one good beer this year.
    Those are some mighty shitty alternatives, I'm sorry. You can't even get a Yuengling?
    Yes, but only just. I'll forgive it just this once if you drink at least one good beer this year.
    I'll try. I'll go back and actually read this whole thread for some recommendations.
    Those are some mighty shitty alternatives, I'm sorry. You can't even get a Yuengling?
    I've never even seen one. Nine times out of ten If i'm in the same room as beer it's pisswater like Keystone light. I only get Miller if I know about a party in advance and go out and get some.
  • @SaintCrazy: Do you live near a brewery? You may be able to do a tour and sample some of their better beers, or you could find a brew pub that does flights. (Flights= 6-2oz samples of different beers) Also, some beer stores sell mixed six packs. It's a cheaper way to find out what you do and don't like instead of buying a full case of crap.

Alternatively, go to a good bar and order a pint from the coolest looking tap. You may not like it, but you'll learn what not to order.
  • I'm getting the vibe that he doesn't exactly live in a thriving metropolis that would have these things.
  • I'm getting the vibe that he doesn't exactly live in a thriving metropolis that would have these things.
    Yeah, but man, even the Wal-Marts near where I live have a decent selection. I can pick up a Saranac variety pack for cheap.