This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090319 - Baseball

Comments

• Watching other people play a game... dull.
    Except hockey and roboting.
  • Anyone on their company softball/baseball team? I am ^_^
  • Except hockey and roboting.
    I think roboting is a horrible sport! I am against it!
  • Except hockey and roboting.
    I think roboting is a horrible sport! I am against it!
    Well....Now they know who to come for first.
  • The consensus here seems to be that whatever if your city has a baseball team than you have to root for it. I jumped on the Sox bandwagon in 99 because they seem to be the only team who could stop those motherloving Yankees that I have hated since I was a little one. The Mets for some reason never register on my sports radar.
  • The consensus here seems to be that whatever if your city has a baseball team than you have to root for it. I jumped on the Sox bandwagon in 99 because they seem to be the only team who could stop those motherloving Yankees that I have hated since I was a little one. The Mets for some reason never register on my sports radar.
    I also hate the Yankees, and I like it when the Sox beat them, but then again, 1986 oh so nice.
  • I can't wait to hit Jacobs Field this summer. Baseball is really a stupid game, but attending with an audience of 30,000 with the lights up and the cheering and the hot dogs and beer and peanuts and cheering for the ketchup to win the race and doing The Wave and We Will Rock You -- that's what baseball's all about. It's much more culture in my eyes than sport. I don't really give a crap about the Indians, but I loves me some Indians games.
    This is how I am with the Mariners. Safeco is a very fun place to watch a baseball game. People go crazy over Ichiro, and there are a lot of Japanese tourists that come to Seattle just to see him play.

I'll definitely be catching some games this season, especially because Griffey is back. I don't think it will be that big of a difference, but Seattle loved Griffey and is excited to see him come back.
  • This is how I am with the Mariners. Safeco is a very fun place to watch a baseball game. People go crazy over Ichiro, and there are a lot of Japanese tourists that come to Seattle just to see him play.
    Plus, can't you do awesome things using your DS there?
    Screw you, man. :
  • Plus, can't you do awesome things using your DS there?
    Yes, you can access some store or some fun facts thing. I believe it was news from Scrym a long time ago. I honestly don't remember.

I was going to try it out when I was there, but I forgot.
  • I had talent in my year which is now playing international professionally - (he was incredibly dimwitted though).
    You're going to have to be more specific. Seriously, name names.
    Okay - for the very few that follow cricket on the board - Sean Marsh.

While playing in year 12, he was in my year. He's Rod Marsh's son and was playing in the adult leagues during high school. Immediately after went to state level and then in about 12 months I saw him playing for the Australia A (the backup international team for the limited overs version of the game). Now he seems to be playing for the Limited overs and 20 / 20 versions of the game.
    No, hockey too. It is the crazy fans and fights that make it fun, not watching the game.
    No, hockey too. It is the crazy fans and fights that make it fun, not watching the game.
    Are you for real? You don't watch much hockey, do you?

To be honest, this is a somewhat extreme example, but something like this can and more often than not will happen in every game.
  • edited March 2009
    I have watched some hockey. I don't like watching people play sports. It is great to play sports, but watching someone play sports is like watching someone eat... where is the fun in that?
    Watching sports is only fun when the crowd is crazy and you are there in the crowd. Watching televised sports is just boring, for me.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • So is anyone looking forward to baseball starting this week? Can't believe it's already here. I was not planning on watching much baseball at all this season, until the Mets finally stepped up and cut their overpriced garbage players (Luis Castillo, Oliver Perez) that they kept trotting out there. I'm much more excited about seeing a bunch of young guys go out there excited to get their shot, so I'll be watching.
  • So is anyone looking forward to baseball starting this week? Can't believe it's already here. I was not planning on watching much baseball at all this season, until the Mets finally stepped up and cut their overpriced garbage players (Luis Castillo, Oliver Perez) that they kept trotting out there. I'm much more excited about seeing a bunch of young guys go out there excited to get their shot, so I'll be watching.
    Also a Mets fan, but not excited. It will be good to see Mets without crap players like Castillo and Ollie, but that doesn't mean these young guys are any good. Also, Santana is hurt, Reyes isn't what he used to be. I predict another big stinky season.
  • edited March 2011
    I don't really pay attention, but I do enjoy going to Safeco to catch a Mariners game. I might even attend the Stitch N' Pitch night. It will be weird though no longer hearing Dave Niehaus commentate on the game.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
    Also a Mets fan, but not excited. It will be good to see Mets without crap players like Castillo and Ollie, but that doesn't mean these young guys are any good. Also, Santana is hurt, Reyes isn't what he used to be. I predict another big stinky season.
    Not excited in the sense that I think they'll be a great team. I won't be racing to check box scores every day as though they are in the hunt, but I'm looking forward to being able to get to a few games and not have all that negativity surrounding the team. The expectations are quite low now, so mediocrity will be more enjoyable.

Maybe the shit weather of this week is just taunting me to daydream about being at a baseball game.
  • Not excited in the sense that I think they'll be a great team. I won't be racing to check box scores every day as though they are in the hunt, but I'm looking forward to being able to get to a few games and not have all that negativity surrounding the team. The expectations are quite low now, so mediocrity will be more enjoyable.
    I don't think it will be enjoyable. That's the problem with mediocrity in sports. If you lose all the time, Detroit Lions style, it is reverse awesome. You can revel in losing. If you win, well, winning is awesome too. What's not awesome is when you are like the current Mets or Nationals. You don't lose all the time but you aren't going to go anywhere. You can't get happy about a win, because it isn't going to actually mean anything. A loss is just a reminder that yes, your team sucks. The only joy to be had is to boo at your own team for being a bunch of bums.

I'll go if I get free tix, which I usually do at at least once or twice a year.
  • I don't really pay attention, but I do enjoy going to Safeco to catch a Mariners game. I might even attend the Stitch N' Pitch night. It will be weird though no longer hearing Dave Niehaus commentate on the game.
    I've never heard of Stich N' Pitch but just googled it and gotta say, that's awesome!
  • I don't really pay attention, but I do enjoy going to Safeco to catch a Mariners game. I might even attend the Stitch N' Pitch night. It will be weird though no longer hearing Dave Niehaus commentate on the game.
    I've never heard of Stich N' Pitch but just googled it and gotta say, that's awesome!
    Apparently the Mets have the Stitch 'N' Pitch record. Take that West Coast!
  • A haiku for today's baseball related festivities:

It's Opening Day
    Mets outfielder on the DL
    So what else is new
  • First, My Little Pony is a good show. Then Mets start winning. What next? Actual rapture on May 21?
  • Actual rapture on May 21?
    Sonic Rainboom on May 21st.
    I'm down with that.
    I'm down with that.
    Will that be part of the post-game fireworks?

4 games in and I'm already caving on my "I probably won't go to a game this season" stance. Guys from work want to put a trip together and I'm not objecting.
  • edited April 2011
    Guys from work want to put a trip together and I'm not objecting.
    My work is all Yankee fans except for one video guy and myself.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Guys from work want to put a trip together and I'm not objecting.
    My work is all Yankee fans except for one video guy and myself.
    Damn that's some bad luck. My work has mostly Mets fans but it's a thin majority. There are a lot of people who relocate to work here so there's fans from all over. Also, a Trenton office closed down 10+ years ago and everyone got shifted to mine, so there are several carpool vans that roll in every day stuffed with Philly fans. I am right on the borderline as it is, midway between the two cities. Two towns over and you start to get Philly TV.
  • With two last place teams coming in this week to play the last place mets (who have won 2 of their last 12 games), ticket prices are dropping like a rock. You can get directly behind home for $70. Might have to go to a game this week just to experience those seats once in my life.
  • Mets 4-0. Why do you tempt me to actually care about this season. Looks like tonight will provide a return to Earth.
  • Mets 4-0. Why do you tempt me to actually care about this season. Looks like tonight will provide a return to Earth.
    4-158