This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When manga becomes Marvel

edited March 2009 in Manga/Comics
First of all I want to say that the series that I am going to talk is one of my most beloved manga series and that I followed ever since I watched its anime back in the early 90s. I am talking about Saint Seiya. This little thing started as a manga that started on 1986 and ended on 1990. Its story was epic and most of it was animated (the most epic saga was Hades was never animated until recently). So everything was fine and dandy until a new manga started back on 2002, this one is Saint Seiya Episode G, which tell the story of the Twelve Gold Saints before the latest Holy War. It was neither written nor drawn by Masami Kurumada, which is the author of the Classic Saint Seiya, but it started as a good story back in 2002. I stopped reading it because it just became too long. Then on 2006 another two mangas came out these two are Saint Seiya: Next Dimension which tells the story of what happened after the latest Holy War and it also travels back in time to tell the story of the previous Holy War, this manga is being donoe by Masami Kurumada. The other manga which is known as Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas is kind of confusing since it it comes from an alternate universe and it also tells the story of the previous Holy War, however this one is focus on three children Sasha, Alone, and Tenma. They are the re-incarnation of Athena, Hades, and Pegasus respectably. They are friends that grew on the same orphanage in Greece. But they go on separate ways. It is a good story but feels like a really good fanfiction, the weird thing is that it looks like it is drawn by Shiori Tetshirogi and written by the Masami Kurumada. And it was recently announced that another manga Saint Seiya Tenkai Hen is to be release in the near future that looks very similar to Lost Canvas.
I really do not know what to say there are so many mangas from the same franchise. It kind of looks like Marvel now. Stories are good but I am afraid they are saturating the Saint Seiya fandom in the world.
Do you guys know of another manga that is also suffering or suffered from the same thing?

Comments

• Think its time for you, to read another totally different series. Saint Seiya was good once, but when it gets like Gundam, retreading the same cliches again, its time to look elsewhere at other anime.

Unfortuntely, this same kind of mess is now happening to Evangelion too, as its rolled out again to make more money, even when its story was already told and finished. It seems some creators just can't let go of the past.
  • Speaking of which, Ultimo is out. I considered picking it up at the Kinokuniya. I wonder if Stan Lee's dialogue will be bolded when it's translated into Japanese?
  • Speaking of which, Ultimo is out. I considered picking it up at the Kinokuniya. I wonder if Stan Lee's dialogue will be bolded when it's translated into Japanese?
    If it's anything like the preview I got at Anime Boston, it's going to be Lee-tastic.
    If it's anything like the preview I got at Anime Boston, it's going to be Lee-tastic.
    Yes, it will be for years to come.
  • Man, why's everyone always picking on Stan Lee? Yeah, he's ridiculous, but he's an old man whose prime was almost 50 freakin' years ago! Good on him for continuing to put out work, irrelevant and outdated as it may be.

That said, I was asked to do some art for promotional materials for a Stan Lee project to be distributed at San Diego Comic-Con, and I turned it down. :/
  • Aww, I like Stan Lee okay. I just think his dialogue, when read now, is hilariously stilted. He had a lot of good ideas. Yay Spiderman!
    That said, I was asked to do some art for promotional materials for a Stan Lee project to be distributed at San Diego Comic-Con, and I turned it down. :/
    What? Why?

Are you currently employed at one of the other big publishing houses or something?
  • Aww, I like Stan Lee okay. I just think his dialogue, when read now, is hilariously stilted. He had a lot of good ideas. Yay Spiderman!
    I mostly agree -- my point was just that it's sad to use the guy as a punching bag when he was writing for an audience of 1960s children. As for his ideas, there's a lot of controversy about that -- Ditko and especially Kirby are now widely believed to have had a lot more to do with the creation of a lot of the old Marvel stuff than they ever got credit for.
    What? Why?
    Are you currently employed at one of the other big publishing houses or something?
    For several reasons that make me sound less big-time if I mention them. :) First of all, it was unpaid. Second, the turnaround time was ridiculous. And third, and the reason I mentioned it at all in this thread, Stan Lee isn't worth getting excited enough about to nullify the first two reasons. This came from a guy who I've been doing paid work for who's involved with Stan Lee.

Just so everyone knows, Stan Lee doesn't have anything to do with Marvel anymore. From what I understand, he's been doing a variety of doomed independent projects for the last few years.
  • I mostly agree -- my point was just that it's sad to use the guy as a punching bag when he was writing for an audience of 1960s children.
    I used to think this. Then I read old comics, like Dick Tracy. That's a comic that predates Stan Lee by 30 years, and was way hardcore and still holds up to this day. Early Spider-Man does not hold up at all. Stan Lee may have done great business and changed the comics industry in many ways. That CCA also had an influence on the situation that can not be ignored. Regardless, Stan Lee can not write for a hill of beans.
  • To be fair, when you basically take the CCA down a notch in one, very sensible, move, you're basically good to do whatever the hell you want henceforth.