This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Job Lose!

Comments

• Australia, for one.
  • Also, more hours means that the employees get more tired, tired employees loose moral and get sloppy, so it's always in the best interest of the company to limit the work hours per day per employee. Face it, after 5 or 6 hours of work, you hardly do anything besides count the minutes to punch out.
    Let me ask this question.

Where in the world do people work more than 5 or 6 hours a day other than the United States, slaves, sweat shops (effectively slaves), or workaholics?
    I work 10 hours a day, and it's not a sweat shop, regular hours here are 8 to 5.
  • edited March 2009
    Via Wiki:
    Annual work hours (source: OECD (2004), OECD in Figures, OECD, Paris
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • What is the graph of?
  • edited March 2009
    What is the graph of?
    Annual Work Hours. The label was edited in while you posted. Found here.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Jesus, another reason to move to Sweden.
    Indeed. There are already so many others!
    It's probably only so low because of more Swedes decide not to work 40 hours/week compared to the US. Koreans are insane though. They be working more than 9 hours a day, every workday of every week, on average.
  • edited March 2009
    Jesus, another reason to move to Sweden.
    Try Finland instead. We're next to Sweden and not even on the list because we work shorter days than Swedes :D
    Post edited by JoeLamer on
    Try Finland instead. We're next to Sweden and not even on the list because we work shorter days than Swedes :D
    Finnish is a bitch to learn, though.
  • Nor does Finland have a Pirate Party.
  • I had a very similar situation last year, I got into a job which started going down hill, I didn't get along with anybody at the practice and it was incredibly dodgy, the head nurse disliked me for no other reason than being a red neck and unfortunately for me she was best friends with the boss. However I was making more money than the practice owner and according to the contract that was cosigned he would have had to pay me more than he paid himself at my review - Instead he fired me saying the Nurses had a problem with me (it was the first time this guy was ever a boss and was lying through his teeth, no eye contact heaps of eyebrow movement deflecting questions).

I got a bit proud and didn't claim any unemployment benefits and lived off of savings for 1 month before getting back into work.
    It's pretty stressful however at the same time there is a sense of relief and you don't get the relief till you start your next job for real.

Regarding the work hours side topic -
    Work hours also depend on the type of job you do.
    I do 8 hours a day 5 days a week, 3/7 Saturdays in the year, 1/7 Sundays and 1 public holiday.
    Plus no overtime is paid however is expected.
    edited March 2009
    Nor does Finland have a Pirate Party.
    Have you been keeping updated? Sweden has passed a law that will make it easier for the music industry to get the personal information of suspected file-sharers. April 1st is when it starts. And Finland does have a Pirate Party, it just isn't officially registered yet. Same for most of the world, there are only 5 registered Pirate Parties, that needs to be cranked up.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited March 2009
    I almost moved to Finland after college, but then I got a 3D job and so I stayed in NY. Sweden or Norway are high on my list for places to live someday. It would be like reversing immigration. The spirit of my great grandmother would look down on me and go "But I just moved away from there! You kids!"

The only problem with Sweden and Norway is that they are FUCKING COLD in the winter.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Nor does Finland have a Pirate Party.
    Heh. My college did. My senior year we elected "The Pirate Captain" for student body president and his crew to student government. Instead of a platform, he had a "plank." While awesome in theory, this shows just how much of a joke our student government was. Oh, and we had record turnout for voting.
  • edited March 2009
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/unemployed-scott
    You know what is worse than cleaning your house? Watching one of your friends clean their house in live streaming video.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Have you been keeping updated? Sweden has passed a law that will make it easier for the music industry to get the personal information ofsuspectedfile-sharers. April 1st is when it starts. And Finland does have a Pirate Party, it just isn't officially registered yet. Same for most of the world, there are only 5 registered Pirate Parties, that needs to be cranked up.
    That sucks. When I saw the April 1st date it made me suspicious, but it seems real enough. The world certainly needs more Pirate Parties, though.
  • http://www.ustream.tv/channel/unemployed-scott
    You know what is worse than cleaning your house? Watching one of your friends clean their house in live streaming video.
    This is still more entertaining that 75% of television.
  • Try Finland instead. We're next to Sweden and not even on the list because we work shorter days than Swedes :D
    I almost moved to Finland after college, but then I got a 3D job and so I stayed in NY. Sweden or Norway are high on my list for places to live someday. It would be like reversing immigration. The spirit of my great grandmother would look down on me and go "But I just moved away from there! You kids!"

The only problem with Sweden and Norway is that they are FUCKING COLD in the winter.
    Oslo and Bergen don't get too bad. North of the arctic circle, though, is a different story.
    And you would know how? You don't have cable I am willing to bet you only watch a few shows online.
    And you would know how? You don't have cable I am willing to bet you only watch a few shows online.
    Actually, I've watched a fair bit of TV around at various times. I have friends who have cable, y'know.
    Watching you mess around on the computer for 30 seconds was about the biggest motivator I've had all day to stop dicking around with the internet and get to work. Thanks.
  • edited March 2009
    I've just spent a fair while chatting on the accompanying IRC channel without really watching the video...

I guess it just goes to show, the only thing more embarrassing than streaming yourself doing nothing in particular (or at least nothing video-worthy) is watching someone else streaming themselves doing nothing in particular.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Haha, but it's fun to chat with everyone while Scott's unemployment emanates from his every pore.
  • Yeah, it's actually pretty decent as chatrooms go. I just have to pretend I'm not really there to watch Scott.
  • edited March 2009
    Yeah, it's actually pretty decent as chatrooms go. I just have to pretend I'm not really there to watch Scott.
    I don't know what to say about this ..... The chatroom that is... not your comment...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I must say, it's utter hilarity to watch Scrym comment on a show while (re)watching said show. That being the hilariously generic Chrome Shelled Regios. If only I could remember in which ep the Engrish comes along.
  • Now is the time to preform elaborate pranks on rym...
  • You know, this could make a good drinking game.