This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Job Lose!

Comments

• edited March 2009
    No to freelancing: He wants a steady stream of money.
    Would you rather have some money or no money?
    No to working at a similar 9-5 job: He doesn't have freedom.
    See above.
    No to working holiday in Europe: He will be lonely.
    Understood.
    No to teaching English in Japan: He wants to teach computers.
    Yeah, teaching English in any foreign country would suck, IMO.
    No to teaching Computers in English in Japan: He could teach computers here.
    True, but if he could get a job there, then go for it!
    No to teaching Computers in high school here: High schools don't pay enough.
    See point #1. Also it depends on what high school you go to and whether or not it's private or public.
    No to teaching Computers at the community center: It would be difficult to arrange.
    See point #1. Just because something is difficult doesn't mean you shouldn't try it, especially if you are unemployed and desperate (not sure on Scott's level of desperation yet, though).
    No to starting his own repair business: It is risky and he would need a loan, maybe.
    A loan for what? If you go small time and just have ads set up on craigslist, the newspaper, etc saying "I will fix broken computers", then there's very little shit to be done on your end. It's as risky as freelancing would be, because you might not have a steady stream of customers. One of my friends does real small time computer repair jobs, but he isn't really running into many problems other than a lack of a shitload of customers.
    No to working at as a developer at Rym's company: Perl and C++
    See point #1. The tough shit rule comes into play here, too. If the only reason you won't take a job that's relatively up your alley is because the fucking LANGUAGES aren't your favorite, then Q_Q more.
    No to an adventure: I am Bilbo and I don't want to leave my Hobbit hill etc. etc.
    What kind of adventure? If it doesn't involve making money or getting a job, I fail how to see this as a relevant point.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited March 2009
    *Le Tear*

Personally, I think you should pick a big project and work towards it. Something like turning FRC Productions into a profitable company or starting your own private school of awesome.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Yeah, teaching English in any foreign country would suck, IMO.
    *Le Tear*

Personally, I think you should pick a big project and work towards it. Something like turning FRC Productions into a profitable company or starting your own private school of awesome.
    That would require that they have some sort of product or service to sell. Being awesome, while great, is not always easy to translate into profit. They would need a business plan that involved something other than simply BEING. Then the fun would turn into work.
  • Wasn't that kind of obvious?
  • Something like turning FRC Productions into a profitable company or starting your own private school of awesome.
    If he's too lazy to attempt to start teaching at a career center or starting a simple PC repair business, then how the hell would he pull either of those things off?
  • Computer repair only works if you have a lot of clients. Most repair jobs have very little hands-on time and a lot of "waiting for the software to do its thing" time.

You make your money to by fixing one machine but by fixing ten machines at the same time.
  • edited March 2009
    My experience differs somewhat. While the job has quite a lot of tedium, I usually spend most of it talking to the client. I run a call-out PC repair service.

As for what DKong says: That is very true but if Scott can stop being such a perfectionist and just get on and do something, he is completely capable of doing something, as I said before.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • No to working holiday in Europe: He will be lonely.
    Understood.
    No to teaching English in Japan: He wants to teach computers.
    Lame. I would totally go for the Euro-adventure even if I was by myself. Also, teaching in a Japanese high school would be great. You just have never done it, so you don't understand.
  • edited March 2009
    Also, teaching in a Japanese high school would be great.
    Would be great if it were anything like Gokusen, or Azumanga Daioh.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Many of the English teachers I know enjoyed it. Just don't do Nova or anything like that.
  • edited March 2009
    Also, teaching in a Japanese high school would be great.
    Would be great if it were anything like Gokusen, or Azumanga Daioh.
    This makes picture Scott in the role of Kimura.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • One of the companies I applied for called an old co-worker because I put him down as a reference. He called me to let me know that they called him. He told me that the company that I used to work for is now out of business. In other words, the ship was going down anyway, I just got off a few weeks before everyone else. The big company that acquired us is still around, but the company that I originally worked for, and got acquired, is done for.
  • Really. I'm not surprised in the least.
  • One of the companies I applied for called an old co-worker because I put him down as a reference. He called me to let me know that they called him. He told me that the company that I used to work for is now out of business. In other words, the ship was going down anyway, I just got off a few weeks before everyone else. The big company that acquired us is still around, but the company that I originally worked for, and got acquired, is done for.
    So it was a "Fucked if you did, fucked if you didn't" scenario.
  • Any promising opportunities on the horizon?
  • I just got two papers in the mail today.

The first one says that they have been informed by my employer that I was discharged for reasons other than lack of work, and that I need to fill out a bunch of papers to determine whether I am eligible for unemployment or not.

The second paper says I have to go to a mandatory in-person appointment to assess which reemployment services would be of benefit to me. They even decided the date, time, and place already.

It's not worth dealing with this kind of shit to get free money. Hopefully that job I interviewed for will call me back with an offer soon, and I can just ignore this crap.
  • edited April 2009
    I just got two papers in the mail today.

The first one says that they have been informed by my employer that I was discharged for reasons other than lack of work, and that I need to fill out a bunch of papers to determine whether I am eligible for unemployment or not.

The second paper says I have to go to a mandatory in-person appointment to assess which reemployment services would be of benefit to me. They even decided the date, time, and place already.

It's not worth dealing with this kind of shit to get free money. Hopefully that job I interviewed for will call me back with an offer soon, and I can just ignore this crap.
    Yeah, taking an afternoon to fill out papers and going to one appointment is much more effort than a 9 to 5 job you don't like and have to go to 5 days a week. ^_~ I am all for you getting a job, but that reasoning is just so off.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited April 2009
    I just got two papers in the mail today.

Filling in some paperwork and going to an appointment? Yeah, that's a lot of shit they expect you to have to deal with. The money that they would pay you every week for doing nothing would in no way make up for the onerous requirement of filling in some paperwork and going to an appointment. I mean, don't they know who you are?

It's obvious where you're headed with this, and I just want to say that it would be a good decision to just turn down the free money since they're going to expect you to actually expend a minimal amount of effort to receive it. That's ridiculous. Who here has ever had to perform tasks in order to receive money?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • @ HJ, we are on the same page here.
  • It sounds like Scott is more afraid of rejection than the paperwork-filling-out.
  • edited April 2009
    It sounds like Scott is more afraid of rejection than the paperwork-filling-out.
    Either way, he's awesome. Remember kids: the most reasonable, adult response to not fully enjoying your job every minute of every day like some wild amusement ride of awesome is to not show up in the mornings to the point they actually fire you, then when your roommate's girlfriend works hard to come up with a long list of things you could do, find reasons none of the things on the list would work because you're too awesome to do any of the things she suggests, then refuse free money from the government because you're too awesome to be bothered with such pedestrian things as paperwork and appointments that should only apply to the muggles. If you take that as your model for reasonable, responsible adult behavior, and be careful to refuse to do any work in school as well while making sure that all other people know that the real reason you don't work is that you're just too damn smart and awesome, then you can be as awesome as Scott.

Awesome.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • ...you can be as awesome as Scott.
    I was as awesome as Scott once. Then my mom threw me out of the house. Two nights in a homeless shelter taught me that awesomeness is overrated.
  • It sounds like Scott is more afraid of rejection than the paperwork-filling-out.
    Either way, he's awesome. Remember kids: the most reasonable, adult response to not fully enjoying your job every minute of every day like some wild amusement ride of awesome is to not show up in the mornings to the point they actually fire you, then when your roommate's girlfriend works hard to come up with a long list of things you could do, find reasons none of the things on the list would work because you're too awesome to do any of the things she suggests, then refuse free money from the government because you're too awesome to be bothered with such pedestrian things as paperwork and appointments that should only apply to the muggles. If you take that as your model for reasonable, responsible adult behavior, and be careful to refuse to do any work in school as well while making sure that all other people know that the real reason you don't work is that you're just too damn smart and awesome, then you can be as awesome as Scott.
    Awesome.
    Hey, no fair using your lawyer skills, life experience and wisdom to skewer our friend Scott. The fact that you are absolutely dead on target and have the universal and total support of the rest of the forum should give you no glee here. It is a hard moment for a person to realize that despite one's talents, the universe does not always bend to one's whims.

Awesome.
    I do believe that constitutes a burn.

Seriously, Scott. Fill out some paperwork and head to an appointment to get free money. What else are you going to do on a Monday afternoon? I'm all about pride and having principles, but it's OK to do the smart thing even if it means swallowing your pride. Being stupid is not a virtue.

Also, a reemployment service could help a lot. It'll do work for you while you continue to search for employment yourself, so you'll get more job searching done per unit time.
  • If you do decide to collect unemployment. It's important you go to those appointments, my brother missed one and he had to pay essential what was a fine. There was another time, when he got a job just a few weeks after he started receiving unemployment. He had to pay the whole thing back. This included the weeks he hadn't been working either.
  • Either way, he's awesome. Remember kids: the most reasonable, adult response to not fully enjoying your job every minute of every day like some wild amusement ride of awesome is to not show up in the mornings to the point they actually fire you, then when your roommate's girlfriend works hard to come up with a long list of things you could do, find reasons none of the things on the list would work because you're too awesome to do any of the things she suggests, then refuse free money from the government because you're too awesome to be bothered with such pedestrian things as paperwork and appointments that should only apply to the muggles. If you take that as your model for reasonable, responsible adult behavior, and be careful to refuse to do any work in school as well while making sure that all other people know that the real reason you don't work is that you're just too damn smart and awesome, then you can be as awesome as Scott.

Awesome.
    The Post of the Year is worth quoting a few times.
  • Scott, don't be stupid. That is all.
  • ...you can be as awesome as Scott.
    I was as awesome as Scott once. Then my mom threw me out of the house. Two nights in a homeless shelter taught me that awesomeness is overrated.
    I was also that awesome once, then my father told me to get a job, join the military, or get out of the house. I joined the army, and on the first day of basic training, I found out just how "awesome" I really was :)
  • edited April 2009
    ...you can be as awesome as Scott.
    I was also that awesome once, then my father told me to get a job, join the military, or get out of the house. I joined the army, and on the first day of basic training, I found out just how "awesome" I really was :)
    I will play "Scott's Advocate" yet again. In Scott's defence, many of the previous posters say how they were awesome like Scott once, yet were both living with their parents. Scott is a successful man who isn't relying on Mommy or Daddy anymore. In both cases above, they were told to leave the house by their parents. One ended up homeless, the other joined the army. When Scott was told to leave the house, he went and got a degree, has worked through multiple jobs, and is comfortably living as an adult. Technically speaking, I believe therefore, neither of you can say you [are or was] as awesome as Scott is. Despite some of his flaws (which all people have, remember) he has actually done something for himself, and is obviously successful. Think about it for a second, you are on his forum.

That is all.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • When Scott was told to leave the house, he went and got a degree, has worked through multiple jobs, and is comfortably living as an adult.
    I'm pretty sure Scott wasn't "kicked out" of his house to go to college....