This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Job Lose!

Comments

• edited April 2009
    When Scott was told to leave the house, he went and got a degree, has worked through multiple jobs, and is comfortably living as an adult.
    I'm pretty sure Scott wasn't "kicked out" of his house to go to college....
    I never said he was "kicked out". I am sure, however, if he has any decency of parents, they encouraged him to move on and do something with his life. The other posters were "kicked out". That was another point I was trying to make. Scott most likely left under his own will, not by force. I just didn't explain it well enough. Thank you for pointing it out.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • If Scott weren't awesome, we wouldn't be busting his chops so bad...
  • If Scott weren't awesome, we wouldn't be busting his chops so bad...
    Scott has his "awesome" elements. In some aspects others may view him as not so awesome, but in his own head he is constantly awesome. This can be a problem and inhibit personal growth, but it is undeniable that Scott has certain abilities that are genuinely impressive.
    The FRC is full of characters and we each have our awesome points and our hang-ups. It is perfectly fine to poke-fun, point out, and even discuss each others shortcomings, but we all recognize each other's gifts.

With that in mind, HJ is pretty spot on in his analysis of the current situation. Scott, you are being ridiculous. As long as you are happy in your irrationality, then bully for you. I am glad you have some job options immediately available so that you can avoid some paperwork and a meeting. ^_~
  • The situation here isn't quite as you are making it out to be. The fact is that according to the words I read on the unemployment web site, and I assume therefore the law, I still believe that I am not eligible for unemployment insurance. Everyone told me that I was giving up free money by not applying, so I applied. As it turns out, it appears that I am probably not eligible, as I determined. If indeed I am not eligible, I'm not going to fight for money I'm not supposed to have. I'm not going to fight tooth and nail through this ludicrous bureaucracy for money that I'm probably not supposed to have.

What's more awesome, fighting the government to let you break the law and get free money, or accepting the fact that you aren't supposed to get the free money and not bother wasting people's time? Are you really suggesting that it's better to fight for personal gain even when you know you are in the wrong? That's some nice ethics you've got there.
  • edited April 2009
    The situation here isn't quite as you are making it out to be. The fact is that according to the words I read on the unemployment web site, and I assume therefore the law, I still believe that I am not eligible for unemployment insurance. Everyone told me that I was giving up free money by not applying, so I applied. As it turns out, it appears that I am probably not eligible, as I determined. If indeed I am not eligible, I'm not going to fight for money I'm not supposed to have. I'm not going to fight tooth and nail through this ludicrous bureaucracy for money that I'm probably not supposed to have.

What's more awesome, fighting the government to let you break the law and get free money, or accepting the fact that you aren't supposed to get the free money and not bother wasting people's time? Are you really suggesting that it's better to fight for personal gain even when you know you are in the wrong? That's some nice ethics you've got there.
    You may or may not qualify for it and it isn't free money; you essentially paid for it while working. If you genuinely feel you don't qualify you can decide not to try for it. However, the process exists to protect you and usually a judge or arbitrator will determine if you qualify or not.
    Many companies automatically fight all unemployment claims and in the light of the comapny's situation they may have taken the route of firing you to put them in a stronger position (a shady practice that is frowned upon and could work in your benefit.
    It is up to you, but is seems silly not to at least try and possibly attend the meeting just to get more information.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • What's more awesome, fighting the government to let you break the law and get free money, or accepting the fact that you aren't supposed to get the free money and not bother wasting people's time? Are you really suggesting that it's better to fight for personal gain even when you know you are in the wrong? That's some nice ethics you've got there.
    Ok lets look at this..

You were "fired" a couple of weeks before your company closed it's doors. Now does this not sound a bit suspicious. It will sound a bit weird to the guy at the unemployment desk. So, state your case. Most likely your job knew it was closing shop and got rid of as many people as possible through "firing" so they would not have to give you unemployment....
  • The job I interviewed with last week is continuing to e-mail me about things. When they're interested in keeping in touch, what better sign is that? If they make me an offer soon, that will continue my streak. Since graduating RIT, it has never taken me more than a few weeks to find a job.
  • I need my Unemployed Scott fix.
  • The job I interviewed with last week is continuing to e-mail me about things. When they're interested in keeping in touch, what better sign is that? If they make me an offer soon, that will continue my streak. Since graduating RIT, it has never taken me more than a few weeks to find a job.
    The best sign is offering you the job :-p
  • I've effectively got two job offers now. It's almost worse than having zero. If it was just one offer, it would have been easy. Two requires a tough decision. Both places are high quality with cool peoples. I have to say no to cool people!
  • I've effectively got two job offers now. It's almost worse than having zero. If it was just one offer, it would have been easy. Two requires a tough decision. Both places are high quality with cool peoples. I have to say no to cool people!
    GET A JOB!
    Well, why don't you be more specific and we can make the decision for you.
  • edited April 2009
    Flip a coin OR go for the one with more monies.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Go with whichever offers the more extreme proportion of money to free time or vice versa.
  • Flip a coin OR go for the one with more monies.
    I vote for the first - flip a coin, and if you feel you want to flip again due to the result, then you already have your answer, don't you?
  • If the people and jobs are equally awesome then look at the other aspects: commute, location, hours, etc...
  • If the people and jobs are equally awesome then look at the other aspects: commute, location, hours, etc...
    All those factors are also equal.
    All those factors are also equal.
    Then your decision is arbitrary. Flip a coin and turn down one of the offers.
  • Check out the businesses online and see what people are saying about them and/or how they are doing. Check if they have BBB ratings, etc. If all other factors are equal, then you can be more and more choosy.
  • There has to be something different one of them. If that difference is something you slightly don't like, then go with the other one.

But yeah, congratulations BTW : )
  • I was leaning in one direction. Then I made a call, and now I'm leaning back in the other direction.

This is definitely a diamond shoes are too tight situation.
  • Are you unwilling, unable, or too lazy to give us more detail?
  • I was leaning in one direction. Then I made a call, and now I'm leaning back in the other direction.

This is definitely a diamond shoes are too tight situation.
    Man, fuck diamond shoes. I will take nice, flexible leather over rigid diamond any day.

That's why I have a job with a small company that lets me be flexible with when I come in/leave and lets me switch days around so I can go to cons without taking vacation. Hey, did you ask about that? :)

• That's why I have a job with a small company that lets me be flexible with when I come in/leave and lets me switch days around so I can go to cons without taking vacation. Hey, did you ask about that? :)
    Yes, both places are chill.
  • You know, if you wait too long to make a decision they may find someone else.
    I'm deciding today no matter what. I already told that to both of them.
  • edited April 2009
    You know, if you wait too long to make a decision they may find someone else.
    Make the decision now... I mean what's going to change? Rym manipulating you? ^_^

Oh and make sure you call the job you are accepting first!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
    All things being equal, go for the office with the nicer physical space and cleaner bathrooms.
  • edited April 2009
    All things being equal, go for the office with the nicer physical space and cleaner bathrooms.
    lols

Both are very clean and modern offices.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2009
    lols
    Both are very clean and modern offices.
    The one with the more attractive ladies? Even if you never get to touch them, at least there is some nice scenery.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on