This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• Believe or not I tried Psychonauts a while back and didn't like it, I guess that was why I wasn't looking forward to Brutal Legend.
    I guess the main problem with Psychonauts is that you have to do three or so tutorial mental worlds before you start getting to the best part. The early portions are still a lot of fun and have a lot of charm and humor, but things don't really pick up until Lungfishopolis.
  • edited October 2009
    I guess the main problem with Psychonauts is that you have to do three or so tutorial mental worlds before you start getting to the best part. The early portions are still a lot of fun and have a lot of charm and humor, but things don'treallypick up until Lungfishopolis
    I don't know, when do the psychic bears come in?
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Did you know that before hand? There are actually telekinetic bears in some parts of the game.
  • Did you know that before hand? There are actually telekinetic bears in some parts of the game.
    He probably watched the ZP review.
  • The bears you can run into really early on, before you even go into the second mental world. There's also psychic mountain lions who like to light you on fire. They're pretty annoying.
  • He probably watched the ZP review.
    No, I played the game when it came out. I just don't remember if they came in before or after Lungfishopolis.

I think I'm going to re-watch his review... again.
  • Psychonauts was probably pretty good, it's just that I personally find it hard to go back and play older games that I have not played before. Whenever I try to do this I tend not to enjoy the experience. On the otherhand, I can easily go back and play old favorites.

Not to mention that I have I stack of games in my "to play pile" from this generation that I need to play/complete. I think this stack would be much smaller if it wasn't for Fallout 3 and the 100+ hours I've sunk into that game. I really want to spend more time with "The Witcher".
  • On the otherhand, I can easily go back and play old favorites.
    This talk of psychonauts makes me really want to get Full Throttle running again. That was the point and click adventure game of my childhood.
  • I played Pyschonauts a little bit, but not much. If the game has revolutionary and awesome stuff, I didn't find it in the first few levels. It was just a 3d platformer. Not even close to anywhere near as good to Mario 64, the "first" game in the genre. That's like if you made an fps today, and it was no better than Wolfenstein 3D. Can someone tell me what the awesome part of this game is?

Also, I played Full Throttle in its entirety on SCUMMVM relatively recently. I don't remember exactly when, it was many months ago. Regardless, I was very disappointed. It was definitely a He-Man situation. My memory was of something great, and the reality was that it was not so great. It's a slightly above average animated movie. The only thing is that you have to try clicking every thing on every other thing in order to progress the story. All of the "puzzles" are either trivially easy, or frustratingly non-sensical. I used a FAQ towards the end of the game because it simply wasn't worth my time to deal with the bullshit.

While I can respect the point and click adventures for historical reasons, I'm not a fan of actually playing them anymore.
  • edited October 2009
    In Psychonauts, after "Basic Braining" and "The Brain Tumbler Experiment" things begin to pick up. "Mila's Dance Party" is kinda cool (The secret room adds a really dark spin on things though.) and once you get past "Lungfishopolis", which is itself quite fun, you get to "The Milkman Conspiracy", which is one of the most creepy environments in a game, and hella fun, then the rest of the asylum levels are very good, I especially like level where everything is neon on black.

The main problem with Psychonauts is the last level "The Meat Circus" which turns the difficulty from five to eleven.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • While I can respect the point and click adventures for historical reasons, I'm not a fan of actually playing them anymore.
    Agreed, I tried to get into the Monkey Island re-release and I was instantly bored.
  • Will do, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one doing that in this thread. Also, read your first sentence out loud.
  • I am currently heavily into Heroes of Newerth, having been a big fan of Dota for 5 years. Has anyone heard of these games? It is in the unique hybrid genre known as M.O.B.A, or multiplayer online battle arena. It contains a stateless combination of action RPG and RTS elements. While Dota has existed for many years, it has been largely confined to a select community. With the slew of new games in this genre being released (Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, and Demigod to name a few), the awareness and popularity of this new genre of gaming is greatly increasing.

These games are very, very fun. They are very deep and has a very high skill cap. There are actual strategies and tactics that a player or team can utilize to get the upper hand. Many times it comes down to quick thinking and the ability to outsmart your opponent to lead to victory. The game is also stateless, so the only benefit of someone playing 10x more than you is the personal experience that player got from playing. Each game lasts an average of 40-60 minutes so its very easy to pick up and play a game or two.

The internet can explain how the game works much better than I can, so take a look into Dota or Heroes of Newerth if you are interested. Those are the two best in this genre so I wouldnt look into the other before these two. The only problem with this game is it has the largest learning curve of any game. Luckily, HoN is very new and there are a lot of beginners so there's a skill level for all players. I think that many of you would enjoy this game if given a decent try.
  • I was playing Dota again with friends before Hon came out. When Hon came out we all converted. I stopped playing a little while after but now my boyfriend and most of our friends have moved on to LoL.
  • How is LoL? I didn't manage to get into the beta but I hear its not as good as Dota/Hon because they simplified it a lot. Requires a lot less skill to play.
  • I played Pyschonauts a little bit, but not much. If the game has revolutionary and awesome stuff, I didn't find it in the first few levels. It was just a 3d platformer. Not even close to anywhere near as good to Mario 64, the "first" game in the genre. That's like if you made an fps today, and it was no better than Wolfenstein 3D. Can someone tell me what the awesome part of this game is?
    Going strictly by the gameplay, Pyschonauts is pretty standard for a platformer. You have your big hub world that connects to a bunch of smaller worlds where you collects lots of doodads. Over the course of the game you unlock various abilities, none of which are particularly new or innovative to the genre.

What makes the game awesome is the level of creativity and detail they took in designing a world and the characters that inhabit it. The stages you visit in Psychonauts are unlike anything you've ever seen in a platformer. Most platformers are content to throw variations on a elemental world at you. Psychonauts throws you into a suburbia where everyone is a spy, roads curve at abstract angles and girl scouts use high-powered sniper rifles. Though things might seem utterly random at first glance, if you take the time and pay close attention to the game you'll find there's a reason for most anything. That level of detail keeps the game from being a collection of funny-once random gags, and allows to create a world that is utterly absurd but relate able.
    While I can respect the point and click adventures for historical reasons, I'm not a fan of actually playing them anymore.
    Really? I only discovered adventure games a few years ago, and I've had a blast making up for lost time. Admittedly, I've stayed pretty close to Lucasarts stable so I've avoided a lot of the more frustrating tropes of the genre.
  • edited October 2009
    Question: Battlefield 2 has just come out on steam and it's a game I've wanted to try for a long time. Is it worth starting to play now or have all the players played too long for it to be fun for newbies?
  • Question: Battlefield 2 has just come out on steam and it's a game I've wanted to try for a long time. Is it worth starting to play now or have all the players played too long for it to be fun for newbies?
    I'd say only the gaming savants would be left right now.
  • I'd say only the gaming savants would be left right now.
    To be fair, even when it came out it was pretty hard to find a decent game, it was all "I'mma jump in the chopper and crash it it three seconds because I can't do a goddamn thing in this game well I better stab whoever's at the spawn so they don't get my chopper derp derp derp"
  • Question: Battlefield 2 has just come out on steam and it's a game I've wanted to try for a long time. Is it worth starting to play now or have all the players played too long for it to be fun for newbies?
    I'd say only the gaming savants would be left right now.
    I picked it up last year at Andrew's behest and dove right in; I am not in any way a top-tier (maybe, maybe a mid-tier) FPS player, so I was expecting to get blown away pretty quickly. After dying a lot of times over the course of a couple of days, I became fairly proficient. The trick is to start off on low-population servers and work your way up. My first few games, I made the mistake of joining large games... there is nothing quite so frustrating as getting fragged without knowing why or by whom.

I should load BF2 up again.
  • I have chosen to forsake Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and its stupid difficulty curve in favor of playing something that actually makes sense right now. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box. Very rarely do I play games within a couple months of them actually coming out.
  • I have chosen to forsake Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and its stupid difficulty curve
    This is a problem not easily solved. The game was the perfect difficulty for someone already skilled at these sorts of games, which is to say, impossible for most other people.
  • This is a problem not easily solved. The game was the perfect difficulty for someone already skilled at these sorts of games, which is to say,impossiblefor most other people.
    That is exactly why it was awesome.
  • I have chosen to forsake Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and its stupid difficulty curve
    This is a problem not easily solved. The game was the perfect difficulty for someone already skilled at these sorts of games, which is to say,impossiblefor most other people.
    Probably so. This was the first Castlevania game I've played since SotN, so I'm not exactly up on them. I've never really been hardcore in the sense of going the hardest route to beat a game, and the last thing I want to do on the bus to work is get frustrated over a game.
  • How's is Order of Ecclesia's difficulty in relation to Portrait of Ruin?
  • edited October 2009
    I picked it up last year at Andrew's behest[..]
    I shouldn't have too much of a problem then. I spent a couple months getting my NS kill to death ratio up to 1:1 as marine so a couple of days shouldn't be that hard. I'll put it on the pile.
    Overall I would say it's about the same. The only real difficult parts I've had with the game was the shadow boss, who I could find no real strategy other then "kill him before he kills you" and Dracula's second form, which has an annoying attack that practically one shots you and is hard to avoid.
    Twice as hard? The monsters have more complex behaviors, and the bosses require fairly complex patterns to defeat. Also, there are fewer healing items and the like.

(Granted, I never use healing items, and rarely seek out powerful secret items in games like these).
  • This is a problem not easily solved. The game was the perfect difficulty for someone already skilled at these sorts of games, which is to say,impossiblefor most other people.
    Yeah, and you gave me a copy and told me to play it. I got very frustrated because even in the beginning I died all the time!
  • I'm plaything through Fire Emblem: 剣のシールの on a GBA Emulator. It is hard as balls, and it blows the ones we actually got here out of the water. But it's worth it as it answers many questions in the first one on GBA. As "unpolished" as the game is, it has a superior story that is extremely detailed and very well written than the The Sacred Stones. To be honest, I really didn't like Sacred Stones as it had a very typical, unoriginal, plot that seems like it was written in a hurry and is also way too easy to beat.