This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• Going back to playing Endless Legends and starting Homeworld 2, now that I have a new PC that can play them both flawlessly.
  • Dark Souls 3 is all kinds of amazing!
  • First rule of Pacman CE:DX: You will never be Scott Rubin.
  • Greg said:

First rule of Pacman CE:DX: You will never be Scott Rubin.

He got his licks in before we did. I don't mind. Something to aim for.
  • edited May 2016
    It's not really a hard game. You just have to memorize the path through each stage. It gets fast, but my old man reflexes can manage to do what I want over 90% of the time. Also, I used a fight stick to get my high scores when I played on XBox back in the day. Cheating?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2016
    Apreche said:

It's not really a hard game. You just have to memorize the path through each stage. It gets fast, but my old man reflexes can manage to do what I want over 90% of the time. Also, I used a fight stick to get my high scores when I played on XBox back in the day. Cheating?

That, and you've put more time in at this point. If you put the amount Greg and I have played against your solo total, we're still 24 and a bit hours short of where you're at. We'd likely be somewhat closer, if our playtime looked similar. I'm not going to say ahead, since I'm not very good, but closer. With practice comes skill.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I see the price jump in Pocket Card Jockey. As soon as I won a G1, prices went from hundreds to thousands. I have won 6 G1s with my past 3 horses now, and have 5-ish pieces of every puzzle, but my motivation to 100% this game is sapped. It was good fun, but gonna shelve it for a while. I got 12 hours out of it!
  • Matt said:

I see the price jump in Pocket Card Jockey. As soon as I won a G1, prices went from hundreds to thousands. I have won 6 G1s with my past 3 horses now, and have 5-ish pieces of every puzzle, but my motivation to 100% this game is sapped. It was good fun, but gonna shelve it for a while. I got 12 hours out of it!

Ah, winning a G1 is the trigger?

I don't want to 100% the game, and I haven't played in a few days. I'm just extremely curious what bonus you get when you finish a puzzle, or all of them. I also really want to win the stupid derby. I've come so close! One time in the derby I got three Jin Ba It Tai and still lost! They make that race intentionally hard as balls.
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

That, and you've put more time in at this point. If you put the amount Greg and I have played against your solo total, we're still 24 and a bit hours short of where you're at. We'd likely be somewhat closer, if our playtime looked similar. I'm not going to say ahead, since I'm not very good, but closer. With practice comes skill.
    And you're only looking at hours logged onto this version of Pacman. Scott has been playing many versions of Pacman with more regularity than me since before I was born.
  • Greg said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

And you're only looking at hours logged onto this version of Pacman. Scott has been playing many versions of Pacman with more regularity than me since before I was born.
    I wasn't any good at those other Pac-Mans, and didn't play them that much.
  • Apreche said:

Greg said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

The way you would talk about the GC version and the way you compared CE:DX to other iterations sounded like you were more into it.
  • Greg said:

Apreche said:

Greg said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

The way you would talk about the GC version and the way you compared CE:DX to other iterations sounded like you were more into it.
    You mean Pac-Man vs.? We played that so few times. It's pretty great, though.
  • Finished Uncharted 4 over the weekend. Holy shit that game. I think if you needed a poster child for a narrative-driven game that legit feels different playing versus watching, this is the one you should go with. I can guarantee that the epilogue would not have hit me the way it did if I was just watching it on Twitch or something. I'm still not sure if I like it more than Uncharted 2, just because of how big of an improvement that game was over the first, but it is definitely, objectively, the best game in the series. Highly recommended for people who have a PS4 (though I know most people here are master race).
  • I'm doing the weird thing and playing through the first three games. I bought the "remastered" version for the PS4 because I severely dislike the PS3 controller and also, why not play the best looking version? I tried playing Uncharted 2 several years ago and did not care for the controls at all. I'm not minding them as much now, but I do wish it was a bit tighter in spots. I think the PS4 controller overall just helps the experience though.
  • Finished Uncharted 4 over the weekend. Holy shit that game. I think if you needed a poster child for a narrative-driven game that legit feels different playing versus watching, this is the one you should go with. I can guarantee that the epilogue would not have hit me the way it did if I was just watching it on Twitch or something. I'm still not sure if I like it more than Uncharted 2, just because of how big of an improvement that game was over the first, but it is definitely, objectively, the best game in the series. Highly recommended for people who have a PS4 (though I know most people here are master race).

Uncharted is always one that I'm rather put out by it being PS4 exclusive. I've enjoyed the hell out of what little I've played of the series, and I've heard a lot of great things about it - but I'm not buying a PS3 or PS4 just for one series.
  • I absolutely would not buy a PlayStation for the game, but its definitely one of those things you should definitely check out if you have one already
  • Pocket Card Jockey is a game that really likes to punch you in the dick after a while. I picked it up again and ran 2 horses through. I'd won 6 or 7 of the G1s with my prior horses, and was primed to win one of the big major ones (royal derby or all-star cup, can't remember). I'd saved up $30k in winnings, bought out the store, and rode the level 2 comfort zone the whole way. I won 4 of the 6 solitaire games, so I had plenty of stamina cards, and even had two boosts.

Race starts up, and I am blocked in like I have never seen before, and these horses did not give a fuck. Usually when I come into the home stretch with a high number, tapping the go button will nudge a horse out of the way. Not happening here. Complete fuckery.
  • HAHAHAHA. You think that's bad?

I was in the Royal Derby. Great horse that had won a lot (otherwise it wouldn't even be in the derby). Bought out the store. Got the blue boosts and such. Got "Shin Ba It Tai" on EVERY leg of the race. STILL LOST.

I looked at the horse that won, and their stats are just insane. Way up over 100 in both speed and stamina. You need to breed fucking Secretariat if you want to win that thing.
  • I went on GameFAQs and looked up what the endgame is here. If you complete a puzzle, you get a really weak ass boost. Most of them are owner-specific, like minor stat boosts on horse leveling when it is owned by gold teeth guy, pop idol, etc. One is just a 5% shop discount. Wow. If you win all the G1s, you get a credit roll.
  • Matt said:

I went on GameFAQs and looked up what the endgame is here. If you complete a puzzle, you get a really weak ass boost. Most of them are owner-specific, like minor stat boosts on horse leveling when it is owned by gold teeth guy, pop idol, etc. One is just a 5% shop discount. Wow. If you win all the G1s, you get a credit roll.

Welp, I got my money's worth already. Back to Picross.
  • edited June 2016
    Because the internet desperately wants me to "Git Gud", I started playing Dark Souls. (Actually it's mostly LoadingReadyRun and Extra Credits singing the praises of the game, plus Jim Sterling and Mike Rugnetta also pushing the game as great.)

Just beat the Taurus Demon and I feel a little bit accomplished. I mean the game is definitely hard and I had some weird depths where the Taurus Demon simply pushed me off the side off the wall I was fighting him on. However, the game isn't exactly "punishing". You lose your souls but there isn't that significant of a penalty involved with death. The game is also definitely fair and the difficulty lies in executing what you have to do rather than it throwing random obstacles into your way. It's kind of like Super Meat Boy in that way.

I must admit that I have watched certain Let's Plays of the content producers mentioned above so I know a little about the game already (I particularly enjoyed the episode of "Talking Simulator" on it, spoiler warning though). Beside the lore what I like so far the most is how "economic" the map design is, by which I mean that unlike other games it doesn't give you a save point every 50 meters in some contrived way. The game provides regular save points but it does so by having paths "loop" into one another. E.g. after beating the Taurus Demon you can climb down a ladder that was previously unavailable to go back to the bonfire you used before fighting the Taurus Demon. This not only feels more "natural" (landscape not littered with bonfires) and provides a means of foreshadowing for the observant player. I saw that ladder before and knew that it would later be available. It also allows for people to take shortcuts when having already beaten certain sections.

I'm still scared shitless of Blighttown though.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I saw in the Oculus Rift thread that people were playing House of the Dying sun. How is that? Is it still worth getting even if I don't have VR?
  • I'm loving Civ BE. The affinity system, tiered research, new victories, they're all great. It breathes new life into Civ V.
  • I saw in the Oculus Rift thread that people were playing House of the Dying sun. How is that? Is it still worth getting even if I don't have VR?

Game = Good. VR (at least the Steam version) = Shit.
  • Greg said:

I'm loving Civ BE. The affinity system, tiered research, new victories, they're all great. It breathes new life into Civ V.

Yeah me and my friend played the shit out of it when it was initially released, but needs tweaks which are in the Rising Tide and takes a few games to learn how to optimally work around / with / against aliens.

Kind of doesn't have some of the character that Civ 5 has (hey I'm playing as a real country type feel) which doesn't affect me but my friend moved on from it because of that.
  • Pocket Card Jockey is some serious fucking bullshit, but I can't stop playing when I'm in bed.
  • The new Kirby game is actually really awesome.
  • MATATAT said:

The new Kirby game is actually really awesome.

Now this, I was not expecting to hear.
  • Jeremy is loving it. It looks cool. I may have to check it out.
  • edited June 2016
    It's not particularly hard but the powers are just so crazy. Like the doctor one has five different attacks. Standard A attack, L/R attack, down, up, and arial attack. The weird mech thing also has some pretty cool variations.
    Post edited by MATATAT on