This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Dwarf Fortress D:
    I'm saving up my Dwarf lovin' for the next version, which should be awesome and out before the end of the year. In the meantime, I'm playing The UnReal World, a 10th century Scandanavian life sim/RPG a life sim/RPG set in 10th century Scandanavia, and it is pretty much the most awesome thing ever. It's what I imagine Adventure Mode in DF will be in a year or two. But if you play it, whatever you do, don't start in winter. You'll die.

I'm also playing Gratuitous Space Battles and Armageddon Empires.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • You are playing on a public server. Your opponents are incompetent boobs. Go take a look at some serious clan competition, and you'll see what we're talking about.
    But 98 percent of players aren't serious clan competitors. You're saying it's a broken game because it doesn't cater to 2 percent of the players. That's not a broken game; it's broken logic, or at the very least broken expectations. Also, it's a necessary playground for those who want to hone skills to become part of the 2 percent. I know you both, Rym and Scott, were born with preternatural skills and never had to practice. You were always the best and your eagle eyesight -- when combined with the reflexes of tigers, the cunning of wolves, the wisdom of wood elves, the might of whales, and the tenacity of grizzlies -- make you the Most Dangerous Geists.
  • Looking at the past 30 posts...I really need a DS. It seems all the Mario RPG's I want came out on it and not the home systems (with the exception of the original Mario RPG of course) Maybe I can get a used one on the cheap, time to start looking. Nearly done Paper Mario for the 64. It defiantly has a worse narrative then the Game Cube or Wii version. Makes me realize how good the game cube version was by comparison... (Also makes me wonder why all three have such sub par writing compared to the Super Nintendo Mario RPG)
    In my infinite wisdom I latched onto C. Viper because I like her character design and I am now stubbornly refusing to learn to play different character.
    I used C.Viper exclusively for the first few weeks I owned Street Fighter IV, but moved onto using Cammy when I unlocked her. C.Viper is a pretty good character, but I think I stuck with her primarily becuase of her flashy attacks. I mean seriously, she has a fire kick, a lightning punch, and a earth-shattering fist!
    C. Viper is a bitch of a character to learn. It's not even really worth it either. Akuma's offense is just as fast and strong as hers and his combos are twice as safe and far more consistent. Even Pro player's seem to miss connecting C.Vipers Ultra 1/4 of the time. (With her low health and large lag after ultra, one whiffed ultra basically means half your life gone if your facing anyone that can string together a four hit combo)

The one good thing I can say about her is that after learning Viper at any decent level all the other characters become easier by comparison. She forces you to develop good timing and manual dexterity to do her combos. After I was done with C. Viper Seth was a cake walk to learn.
  • There was also one more good NFS, 6. I think they called it Hot Pursuit 2. Then the undergrounds started and I lost interest in NFS.
    Hey there me! HP2 is awesome, agreed. I had grabbed a few skins/mods for epic. Malboro sponsored yellow F50 with everything going BLUR at high speeds, man that felt so good.

Also, EA Games appears to be returning to awesome with the latest, NFS Shift.
    Yes, Need For Speed: Shift, which is exactly what WONT run on my machine. It keeps crashing and I don't know why. In anycase, So far I've been able to beat all of my opponents with my ae86 in NFS undergound 2. Supposedly it's only a level 1 car, but I'm beating level 3 CPU's handily. I'm thinking Gran Turismo has trained me somewhat in cornering and accelerator technique.
  • I'm saving up my Dwarf lovin' for the next version, which should be awesome and out before the end of the year.
    I've been playing the newest alpha branch version 40d16. There are some really, really nice changes he made.
    edited September 2009
    I've been playing the newest alpha branch version 40d16. There are some really, really nice changes he made.
    That wasn't Toady One who made those additions, though he did accept them of course. Almost all of the added features in 40d# are done by the few developers who started overhauling and updating the graphics part of the game when Toady One released the code in the form of BattleChamps. But yes, on-the-fly resize, automatic grid size calculations, improved FPS due to updated graphic handling, user definable macros, more awesome keybindings menu, and then maybe some things I forgot. Awesome stuff. Add to that Christmas approaching (i.e. huge save-breaking update), and it's so much to look out for. EDIT: Oh, dumb, forgot proper, working Linux and Mac versions.

I've been playing adventure mode in DF mostly. Flying is a hoot, being amphibious is crazy useful, but god damn, where's that sea monster? Or where are the whales? Or any ocean critters for that matter.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Almost all of the added features in 40d# are done by the few developers who started overhauling and updating the graphics part of the game when Toady One released the code in the form of BattleChamps.
    More evidence that what we are saying is true. He should open source the whole thing. The community will turn shit into gold. Also, Toady One is not so good at coding.
  • Is Dwarf Fortress really that crazy awesome? I hear the dudes on /v/ are always like "YEAH! DF!" but I've never tried it.
  • Is Dwarf Fortress really that crazy awesome? I hear the dudes on /v/ are always like "YEAH! DF!" but I've never tried it.
    It might be...
    Itmightbe...
    My turn in that first game epitomized the unofficial DF slogan, "Losing is Fun!".
  • edited September 2009
    More evidence that what we are saying is true. He should open source the whole thing. The community will turn shit into gold. Also, Toady One is not so good at coding.
    I think his reasoning is fair, though. He knows exactly what he wants to do with the game, he loves making it, and he wouldn't be able work on it as hard as he does without donations. Open source, while it would mean a better game for us, would probably mean fewer donations, making him less able to do what he loves to do.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • That's good for him. Not good for us. Someone should just clone it and be done.
  • I think his reasoning is fair, though. He knows exactly what he wants to do with the game, he loves making it, and he wouldn't be able work on it as hard as he does without donations. Open source, while it would mean a better game for us, would probably mean fewer donations, making him less able to do what he loves to do.
    That's complete bullshit. There are tons of open source projects out there that thrive on donations. People aren't going to stop donating simply because the source code is there. If anything, they'll donate more. The improved quality of the project from being open source will bring in more players, of which some percentage will donate. Think about it, people donate to things like TWiT, even though they release plain old MP3s and have ads in the show!

Also, the overwhelming majority of users will never download the source, and wouldn't know what to do with it if they had it. The rest will download the binary for free as they do now, and won't even realize it's open source. Nothing will change from their perspective, and thus their donation behavior will not change.

Also, if he open sourced the game, it would become presentable. And then, god forbid, a real game company might want to buy it, or hire him, or some other such thing. Nobody's going to do that while it's still ugly as sin.
  • Also, if he open sourced the game, it would become presentable. And then, god forbid, a real game company might want to buy it, or hire him, or some other such thing. Nobody's going to do that while it's still ugly as sin.
    >complaining about an alpha game's pre-feature-freeze interface.
    Seriously, it's as bare bones as possible (while still being pretty damned easy, and user-friendly if you bother reading, to use) just so it won't take a fucking age to update the interface to allow for new features.
  • edited September 2009
    Well, seeing as no-one has anything useful to add to the conversation, we can move on.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm currently playing Halo 3: ODST, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Fallout 3 (PC). Will be playing Brutal Legend and Uncharted 2 soon.
  • Lego Batman (co-op with Jeremy)
    Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. I'm really like how they make you use the babies to complete the level/solve puzzles. The only thing I currently have problems with is the timing of using the hammer attack with adult Mario & Luigi with the babies. The timing has to be so perfect. I have yet to get a successful attack with the hammer using both characters. >.<
  • I'm playing through Batman again, trying to finish Fallout 3 (keep getting distracted by side things,) playing some of Left 4 Dead's new DLC, also playing some Need for Speed: Shift.
  • Seriously, it's as bare bones as possible (while still being pretty damned easy, and user-friendly if you bother reading, to use) just so it won't take a fucking age to update the interface to allow for new features.
    Good code architecture would completely eliminate this problem. His code is just all too intertwined most likely, without proper separation of functions. A proper developer could take his direction for the game and modularize the code to enact his vision.
  • I'm playing through Batman again, trying to finish Fallout 3 (keep getting distracted by side things,) playing some of Left 4 Dead's new DLC, also playing some Need for Speed: Shift.
    I was unimpressed by the new Left 4 Dead DLC.
  • Will be playing Brutal Legend and Uncharted 2 soon.
    Same here. I would add Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time to that as well since it's also this month.
  • Good code architecture would completely eliminate this problem. His code is just all too intertwined most likely, without proper separation of functions. A proper developer could take his direction for the game and modularize the code to enact his vision.
    It's most likely already made up out of modules. Example 1: The (old) graphics code put out with BattleChamps. Adding a more complex GUI is just that, more complex. It will take too much time implementing, and will probably need to be overhauled a few times even before the game hits Beta just because it is still far from a feature-freeze.

tl;dr: Scrym, wait for version 1.0.
    I was unimpressed by the new Left 4 Dead DLC.
    It's good, but not great. I mean its a really good map, which will be great for quick game sessions. But overall it doesn't add much of anything aside from some new sound clips. It's nice to have, but it certainly feels like more of an attempt to calm the L4D boycotters then a serious DLC. Especially when you look at what they've done in the TF2 DLCs.

• It's good, but not great. I mean its a really good map, which will be great for quick game sessions. But overall it doesn't add much of anything aside from some new sound clips. It's nice to have, but it certainly feels like more of an attempt to calm the L4D boycotters then a serious DLC. Especially when you look at what they've done in the TF2 DLCs.
    It seems entirely half-assed. It took 22 minutes to beat the new campaign -- two maps is simply stupid when other campaigns have five. That being said, the new map seems to be much more open-ended where strategy is concerned. Rather than providing us with an obvious solution or a way to bottleneck our woes away, it's far more open than the other maps and more dynamic.
  • Really really looking forward to Brutal Legend.
  • Really really looking forward to Brutal Legend.
    That game wasn't even on my radar until I played the demo, now it's on my most wanted list.
  • edited October 2009
    If you like the look of Brutal Legend, why not get Psychonauts to play while you wait for it to come out? It's by the same people and is full of the same kind of whit. Seriously people, if you haven't played Psychonauts, what are you doing?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Believe or not I tried Psychonauts a while back and didn't like it, I guess that was why I wasn't looking forward to Brutal Legend.
  • If you like the look of Brutal Legend, why not get Psychonauts to play while you wait for it to come out? It's by the same people and is full of the same kind of whit. Seriously people, if you haven't played Psychonauts, what are you doing?
    Does Psychonauts involve decapitating enemies with an axe or electrocuting them with an axe?
  • Does Psychonauts involve decapitating enemies with an axe or electrocuting them with an axe?
    It involves spontaneous combustion and jumping inside peoples brains.