This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Feedback on southriverhigh.org

edited March 2009 in Technology
This year my school has me run the school's website, southriverhigh.org . Recently the server essentially blew up. We found out at the same time our backups were bad. We had no code, only the content. I would appreciate any feedback on it, focusing many on the non-ascetic parts of the website, since I am still working on the template. Any suggestions or feedback are appreciated.

Comments

• So much better than my old highschool's website, even with its lack of template.

Keep up the good work!
  • focusing many on the non-ascetic parts of the website
    You mean the parts that drink and have sex?
  • You mean the parts that drink and have sex?
    Of course. What else could they have meant?
  • While I do detect some sarcasm, I meant things like if the interface is easy to use, and information is easy to find. Also if there is any information about the school that you want to find but cannot.
  • Some of the lables seem vague. For instance the lable that reads "Information". Information about what?
    Wouldn't it make more sense to break the groups up a little differently?
  • I think the word you were looking for was aesthetic.

The layout is pretty simple to navigate. The main info I would be immediately looking for would be courses, ECs, faculty & staff, and basic information on the school (location, contacts, operating hours, etc). You've got most of those covered. I would move the staff out of the information link and either give them their own menu link or put them in with teachers as "Teachers and Staff."

The side bar menu probably only needs to go 1 tier deep. That is, when you expand a main menu item into it's subcategories, the subcategories don't need to expand. The main page has exactly the same links. As far as I can tell, this only applies to the Teachers. The menu expands out to show the names of the teachers, which is good. However, once you click on a teacher's name, their page comes up. You don't need to list the links from the page in the menu under the teacher's name. It makes the menu too messy and big.

Why are some items on tabs across the top and some in the side bar menu? It's a little disjointed to me. I would wonder why ECs aren't in the same menu as Sports.

Finally, I would probably add a Home tab to the nav bar. I know you can click the banner to go back to the home page, but many internet users aren't that bright.

Overall, looks pretty good and doesn't make my eyes bleed. Well spread out and not too much white space. Good luck!