This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Any Alabama Natives?

I'm most likely going to be visiting your fine state in mid-May. I'm flying in to Birmingham, renting a car, and driving to Auburn, for a workshop at Auburn U.

So, what should I do while I'm out there? I'm a Yankee, don't forget, so I know little of the ways of the deep South.

Comments

• Word of warning, you are entering one of the two universities that make up the greatest rivalry in college football. Sweet tea down here might be a bit different from how it is made up north. One last thing to suggest is to drive off the beaten path as much as possible. There is some beautiful country down here.
  • Word of warning, you are entering one of the two universities that make up the greatest rivalry in college football. Sweet tea down here might be a bit different from how it is made up north. One last thing to suggest is to drive off the beaten path as much as possible. There is some beautiful country down here.
    I was thinking of taking route 38 straight from Birmingham into Auburn. Seems like it goes through some less populated areas. How's that for driving?
  • Word of warning, you are entering one of the two universities that make up the greatest rivalry in college football.
    Don't they say that about EVERY college football team among the state universities in all the states?
  • Word of warning, you are entering one of the two universities that make up the greatest rivalry in college football.
    Don't they say that about EVERY college football team among the state universities in all the states?
    Yeah. I've heard more people say that about UCLA and USC.
  • Word of warning, you are entering one of the two universities that make up the greatest rivalry in college football. Sweet tea down here might be a bit different from how it is made up north.
    There is no such thing as sweet tea in the north.
  • edited March 2009
    Thank goodness for that. Sweet tea is teh suck.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Word of warning, you are entering one of the two universities that make up the greatest rivalry in college football. Sweet tea down here might be a bit different from how it is made up north.
    Unless you count that sugar water that they had at McDonald's sweet tea.

I recommend driving around a lot for enjoyment. I did that when I visited Louisiana and was one of the best parts of my trip.
    Yeah. I've heard more people say that about UCLA and USC.
    Yes, but do marriages and relationships hinge on which football team they root for? Trust me, the Alabama/Auburn rivalry is arguably the most intense.
  • Nuh uh, our rivalry is the best!
  • Nuh uh, our rivalry is the best!
    Well it is...
  • Yes, but do marriages and relationships hinge on which football team they root for? Trust me, the Alabama/Auburn rivalry is arguably the most intense.
    That sounds pretty fucking stupid if people base their marriages on rivalries. That's something I wouldn't brag about.
  • edited March 2009
    Yes, but do marriages and relationships hinge on which football team they root for? Trust me, the Alabama/Auburn rivalry is arguably the most intense.
    That sounds pretty fucking stupid if people base their marriages on rivalries. That's something I wouldn't brag about.
    Well, you don't necessarily base your marriage on a rivalry. It's simply that you would never be able to successfully date someone who is a fan of the other team. If some girl was a Yankees, Jets, Islanders fan, I just wouldn't be able to get along with them to even come close to marrying.

I mean, let's say you did get married, and you had a kid. Uhoh! What if the kid becomes a fan of daddy's team? Or mommy's team? This is serious drama that is best avoided.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yes, but do marriages and relationships hinge on which football team they root for? Trust me, the Alabama/Auburn rivalry is arguably the most intense.
    Well, you don't necessarily base your marriage on a rivalry. It's simply that you would never be able to successfully date someone who is a fan of the other team. If some girl was a Yankees, Jets, Islanders fan, I just wouldn't be able to get along with them to even come close to marrying.

I mean, let's say you did get married, and you had a kid. Uhoh! What if the kid becomes just as immature as Mommy and Daddy? This is serious drama that is best avoided.
    Fixed.
  • Fixed.
    Well that speeds things up. I agree with the correction, such bullshit. We had 3 guys in the house, all rooting for a different football team. Didn't matter a thing.
  • Well, you don't necessarily base your marriage on a rivalry.
    Yeah, I meant to say if their marriages hinge on rivalries. It's stupid on both parts of the people involved if they can't enjoy their rivalry and be mature about it.
  • I think Soctt was kidding.

I hope Scott was kidding.
  • edited May 2009
    I've learned many things after my trip to Auburn. I'd like to share some of those with the class.

1. Alabama is warm. Jesus christ.

2. Route 280 out of Birmingham sucks ass, particularly when you're trying to leave the city exactly at 5:00 PM.

3. Apparently, people don't know how to go anywhere in a manner that I would describe as "quick." You know how the roads are all "Slower traffic keep right?" Apparently, "slower" traffic is below the speed limit, and "less slow" traffic does the speed limit, exclusively, in the left lane. Seriously, why can't you just keep right and pass left?

4. Everybody is a Baptist.

4a. Because of number 4, mixed drinks are weak, and it's almost impossible to open a brewery. This makes for a very sad WhaleShark.

5. There cannot possibly be a kind and merciful god, because if there were, he would not permit the existence of Waffle House. I don't know what they serve at that place, but it is NOT food.

6. The people are actually unusually polite and friendly. This disturbs me greatly.

7. The landscape is quite scenic. If it weren't so warm, and so full of nothing, I'd consider living there.

8. The country life is not for me.

EDIT: Forgot one.

9. The Kia Spectra is an unmitigated shit pile.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I've learned many things after my trip to Auburn. I'd like to share some of those with the class.

1. Alabama iswarm. Jesus christ.

2. Route 280 out of Birmingham sucks ass, particularly when you're trying to leave the city exactly at 5:00 PM.

3. Apparently, people don't know how to go anywhere in a manner that I would describe as "quick." You know how the roads are all "Slower traffic keep right?" Apparently, "slower" traffic is below the speed limit, and "less slow" traffic does the speed limit, exclusively, in the left lane. Seriously, why can't you just keep right and pass left?

4. Everybody is a Baptist.

4a. Because of number 4, mixed drinks are weak, and it's almost impossible to open a brewery. This makes for a very sad WhaleShark.

5. There cannot possibly be a kind and merciful god, because if there were, he would not permit the existence of Waffle House. I don't know what they serve at that place, but it is NOT food.

6. The people are actually unusually polite and friendly. This disturbs me greatly.

7. The landscape is quite scenic. If it weren't so warm, and so full of nothing, I'd consider living there.

8. The country life is not for me.

EDIT: Forgot one.

9. The Kia Spectra is an unmitigated shit pile.
    These are almost all exactly true. Except for Waffle House, you must have gone to a shitty one.
  • Except for Waffle House, you must have gone to a shitty one.
    They're all shitty. It's the same with IHOP or Denny's: really bad food that's available very late for very little money, never to be eaten unless all other possibilities are exhausted.
  • 6. The people are actually unusually polite and friendly. This disturbs me greatly.
    Kate would make fun of you. She thinks those crazy Southerners who say hello to people are the default.
  • Another good thing about the south is Sweet Tea.
  • 6. The people are actually unusually polite and friendly. This disturbs me greatly.
    Kate would make fun of you. She thinks those crazy Southerners who say hello to people are the default.
    "Crazy?"
  • Heh. I'm making fun of the fact that Southerners and New Yorkers are different. Friendly seems crazy to a New Yorker.
  • Heh. I'm making fun of the fact that Southerners and New Yorkers are different. Friendly seems crazy to a New Yorker.
    Whatever.
    Well, I wouldn't say that New Yorkers are necessarily rude. Sometimes, I'm just in a rush and I don't want to stop to talk.

It was actually aggravating, sometimes, because someone would start talking to me in a slow, meandering conversation, and they're so damn polite that I don't want to tell them that I'm in a rush, even when I am. I would wind up getting stuck in a conversation with someone that's totally uninteresting, just because they're being friendly and I don't want to come off as rude. It's very frustrating, especially when I'm on a tight schedule and they don't seem to have anything else to do except talk to a Yankee.
  • It is soooo easy to leave a conversation without looking like a jerk. You know how you do it? Don't be a jerk. If someone is speaking, simply say "Excuse me, I am so sorry to interrupt, but I really must go. It was nice speaking to you. Have a nice day!"
  • Whatever.
    What? What? You said it first!
  • It is soooo easy to leave a conversation without looking like a jerk. You know how you do it? Don't be a jerk. If someone is speaking, simply say "Excuse me, I am so sorry to interrupt, but I really must go. It was nice speaking to you. Have a nice day!"
    I did that a few times, but the people looked disappointed, and I hate to disappoint. I mean, when someone walks up to a perfect stranger and starts up a conversation, they obviously want to speak to you. I try to accommodate where possible, but I can't shake the feeling that people are disappointed or at least slightly put off whenever I dodge out of a conversation.

A lot of the differences were more subtle than I was expecting. They're definitely there, but I think they get played up a little more than is strictly true. I got caught in a couple of conversations, but for everyone else, my typical New York politeness seemed to be enough.
  • edited May 2009
    Whatever.
    What? What? You said it first!
    I just find it a bit hypocritical that you consider all people, whether Southern or not, that would presume to say "Hello!" to a stranger "crazy", but you won't allow that those same people may find those that are chilly and unwelcoming "rude".
    I did that a few times, but the people looked disappointed, and I hate to disappoint. I mean, when someone walks up to a perfect stranger and starts up a conversation, they obviouslywantto speak to you. I try to accommodate where possible, but I can't shake the feeling that people are disappointed or at least slightly put off whenever I dodge out of a conversation.
    A lot of the differences were more subtle than I was expecting. They're definitely there, but I think they get played up a little more than is strictly true. I got caught in a couple of conversations, but for everyone else, my typical New York politeness seemed to be enough.
    Yeah, it isn't a huge difference and a little bit of politeness goes a long way with people. Anyone that was upset that you had to leave was being rude themselves. Politeness is about being understanding, welcoming, and accomodating.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • IMHO the stereotypical southern friendliness is just fake. You can say friendly things and act in a polite manner all you want, but you're just concealing the true feelings in your heart. When people act so phonily friendly, I tend to assume that they are hateful inside.

New Yorkers aren't mean, hateful, or rude. They're just honest. I would much rather live with real honest people than a bunch of people who are pretending.