This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

edited March 2009 in Video Games
I haven't seen someone post this yet, so...

Officially announced at the GDC, this is another sequel to WW, which fulfills my prediction that WW, as a separate timeline off of the main Zelda series, will have more than two games to a Link. All in all, I think it looks fabulous, as I really liked Phantom Hourglass, and trains are awesome.

Comments

• Embed.

Also, wasn't that mentioned somewhere else on the forum?
  • I loves me some Zelda, so I'll definitely get it. I am really wondering about the next Wii Zelda, though. The rumours that came out last year are really intriguing me.
  • This might actually make me get out my DS again. It's been hibernating ever since finishing LEGO Batman. I still need to get Chronotrigger... I'm not sure why I haven't bought it yet, except for a slight DS overload at Christmas. Maybe it's time for a return to good ol' hand-held gaming, if Nintendo can provide some excitement around titles worth buying. The release list has looked sparse for quite a while.
  • I was horrified when I first saw this, since I thought that the game would ONLY consist of the train system.

I'm glad it's not.
  • I'm not so interested about this one. I really didn't like Phantom Hourglass. I didn't like the touch screen controls and this clearly still has them, so might try it and even buy it, but not so interested. I would rather take Zelda game to DS that is more like classical top-down Zeldas.
  • The controls for Phantom Hourglass were alright. The problem with that game was that it was boring.
  • If you're referring to that one recurring dungeon, then yes, that was boring. Other parts of the game were not, though. And sorry for not embedding, I'll keep that in mind for the future.
  • Also, wasn't that mentioned somewhere else on the forum?
    Yes.

Personally, I'm not all that interested in this game right now.
  • I don't know about this one. I hear it has a railroad plot.
  • I would be interested in this, but I've still got a bunch of other Zelda games to beat first, so I can wait for this one.
    It's just Hyrule even further in the future after the great flood, and now they've put down railroad tracks and have steam. I'm more interested in the Twilight Princess time line.
  • they've put down railroad tracks and have steam.
    That makes me want a steam-punk Zelda.
  • they've put down railroad tracks and have steam.
    That makes me want a steam-punk Zelda.
    Hence, I'm more interested in the Twilight Princess time line since that's most likely also going further into the future.
    It's just Hyrule even further in the future after the great flood, and now they've put down railroad tracks and have steam. I'm more interested in the Twilight Princess time line.
    Agreed. I didn't think it was a good idea adding more recent technology to Zelda. Unless, of course, we had a futuristic Zelda FPS with Link shooting a fucking railgun at some Moblins with glocks.
  • I like steampunk, so Steampunk Zelda is cool.
    And TP is just in timeline with the rest of the games. Long after TP comes ALttP. TWW is the only game so far in a separate timeline, as confirmed by Miyamoto. MM and TP occur after Adult Link returns to the past, whereas as TWW happens in the future that is left behind when Adult Link leaves for the past.
    It just makes me think that the long, dull sailing trips from Phantom Hourglass are going to be replaced by equally long, dull train rides. Aside from that the trailer just doesn't make me want it, and before that I've got to get Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem and the new(ish) Castlevania
    It just makes me think that the long, dull sailing trips from Phantom Hourglass are going to be replaced by equally long, dull train rides. Aside from that the trailer just doesn't make me want it, and before that I've got to get Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem and the new(ish) Castlevania
    I would (personally) much rather sail a boat in WW than drive a train around in this.
  • I have a soft spot for trains so this is very welcome. Finally my DS will get some serious use again!
  • I didn't play Phantom Hourglass only because it was never on my "must buy" list. I always wanted to play it but never did. So I may get this one but it'd be low priority. I don't even have Twilight Princess which I heard was great.
  • So, thought I might do a good old-fashioned thread necromancy given the new information on this game. You can watch this trailer and probably get the gist of the cool new stuff.

So, Zelda is your assistant? Sweet. Guess this game isn't really the PH ripoff everyone thought it was going to be.
  • It's not really worth playing. I've just finished the water temple and it seems to be adding a lot of RPG sauce to a distinct lack of Zelda puzzle dungeon meat.
  • edited December 2009
    So the game is relatively lackluster, eh? Any other opinions on it?

I've been hearing a lot of good things, really, but I don't know if I should get it.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • It's a Zelda game. All of the ones made by Nintendo are worth playing.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    It's a Zelda game. All of the ones made by Nintendo are worth playing.
    What are you talking about? There are no other ones made by other companies. Stop concieving of things that are untrue.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited December 2009
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Actually...the CDi Legend of Zelda games weren't published by Nintendo.
    We know, we're just pretending like those aren't real.

I think the game is fun, but the dungeons are a bit too easy. Unlike every other Zelda, the highlight of the game is all the otherwise usually boring stuff you have to do to get to the dungeons. The train sections are very entertaining, methinks.
  • Durr hurr, I'm stupid. I caught onto it as soon as I made my post. Didn't bother editing, though.

So, Spirit Tracks is recommended? Is it better than Phantom Hourglass?
  • Durr hurr, I'm stupid. I caught onto it as soon as I made my post. Didn't bother editing, though.

So, Spirit Tracks is recommended? Is it better than Phantom Hourglass?
    Better in many ways, yes. The dungeons are a bit easier though.
  • I actually like it. I was a bit tedious at first as to how it would be, but now that I'm a ways into it I like it quite a bit. I'm just about to go into the Water region currently.