This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows Mobile

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
I don't use any Apple Products, and without access to the G1, windows mobile was an obvious choice for me as a smart phone platform. Because of this, I've discovered a world of Windows Mobile applications free to download.
I use a HTC Touch Pro with PointUI (rather than the built in TouchFlo) and visit XDA-developers forum for awesome new programs.

Who else here uses WinMo? What programs do you use? Let's show those iPhone users that they don't have a monopoly on cool progs.

Comments

• I would think that Symbian would be a better choice than Windows Mobile.
  • I don't use any Apple Products, and without access to the G1, windows mobile was an obvious choice for me as a smart phone platform. Because of this, I've discovered a world of Windows Mobile applications free to download.
    I use a HTC Touch Pro with PointUI (rather than the built in TouchFlo) and visit XDA-developers forum for awesome new programs.

Who else here uses WinMo? What programs do you use? Let's show those iPhone users that they don't have a monopoly on cool progs.
    I absolutely despise windows mobile. Every device I've tried it on was horrible. The interface was crappy, un-intuitive, and all around bad.

I still love my Palm Treo, and the Palm OS. There are tons of free apps, user created or otherwise, and I never need to do anything it can't do.
  • edited March 2009
    I would think that Symbian would be a better choice than Windows Mobile.
    Well, my whole house runs windows and we all got the same phone. That being said, Our Windows Mobile phones use Active Sync to sync with Outlook's calendar, email, and tasks handily. Not that I use outlook on my desktop, but my phone can use Google Sync to sync my phones calendar and contacts with Google, and Mobile Outlook uses Imap with my gmail account. It's much easier that when my dad had his PalmOS based Garmin. Although I really can't speak for symbian devices as I have never used one myself.
    I absolutely despise windows mobile. Every device I've tried it on was horrible. The interface was crappy, un-intuitive, and all around bad.
    I still love my Palm Treo, and the Palm OS. There are tons of free apps, user created or otherwise, and I never need to do anything it can't do.
    You should really give Windows Mobile another try. I was using version 3.1 it on a Jornada 680 and I never had any problems with it. The PCMCIA card support was robust and supported anything from USB cards to wirless networking cards. The UI was like a little windows machine I could carry around, customizable to all hell. Now I use version 6.1 on my phone and its even better. I find the UI to be very intuitive and easy to use, third-party application availability to be great, and overall my experience has been nothing but an improvement.

So, are there any other Windows Mobile users here or shall we let this sink to page 10?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited March 2009
    It sounds to me like your opinion of Windows mobile is due to your lack of experience with the alternatives. If you think Windows Mobile is great, you will be blown away by the other smart phone OSes out there. They can all do the activesync email.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Currently I have 3 phones in my use: one Nokia E-series phone, one iPhone 3G and one HTC Windows mobile. I use HTC Touch Cruise daily and the other phones sit in my shelf gathering dust. Windows Mobile used to be bad but nowadays things are a bit different.
  • Never had a phone with Windows OS, but I've had a few Symbian phones, a palm pilot, and I have my Iphone.
    With symbian, my only complaint is that it handles memory terribly - I had to restart my phone once a week with my previous phone, because it kept slowing way down, and then throwing up "not enough memory" errors, but with my E65, it's less frequent - once a month, sometimes once every two months, but it can be really slow at times, and it's starting to go a little funny.
    iPhone has been pretty good, but I have the same problems as everyone else, no cut and paste, no flash, all that bollocks.
    While I didn't have a palm mobile phone, I've got no complaints about the palm OS, the only annoying thing about my Palm Pilot TX is that when you get to low battery, it starts disabling services, but one of the first services to go is memory access for everything that didn't come with the os, and then it disables memory access to the SD card, and then finally for everything else, rendering it a glowy paperweight that tells time alright, and doesn't do anything else.

Of course, a majority of apps for all of these are either utter shit, or are not worth even close to the set prices for them, but you get by. The app store on the Iphone is the best, since it's easiest to get apps and you don't need to arse about with connecting to the computer if you don't want to, but that's like saying that you have the best access to an unending river of shit.
  • It sounds to me like your opinion of Windows mobile is due to your lack of experience with the alternatives. If you think Windows Mobile is great, you will be blown away by the other smart phone OSes out there. They can all do the activesync email.
    I definitely fall under that category. I recently got a Verizon HTC Touch, my first smartphone. After the initial "touch screen phone OMG" wore off, I had to struggle with activesync so that the phone didn't try to sync wirelessly (I don't have a data plan) and its lack of unified store like the apple app store.

Back to the topic of interesting programs on windows mobile, I have a Geye G-alarm to wake me up with music and simple puzzles to help me wake up, and PCM keyboard for an iphone-like touch keyboard, and that's about it.
  • (I don't have a data plan)
    Why would you have a Smartphone and no Data plan?
  • Why would you have a Smartphone and no Data plan?
    1. I'm cheap (even though I'm not paying for my cell phone service)
    2. The phone was free
    3. I don't need 24/7 e-mail access on my phone
    4. WinMo doesn't seem to have a lot of interesting applications anyways

I'll probably try it out eventually and see if it's worth the price, but at this point, I'm good.
  • 4. WinMo doesn't seem to have a lot of interesting applications anyways
    O.o Bwuh?!
    Pocket Pc Freeware
    XDA-Developers forum
  • O.o Bwuh?!
    Pocket Pc Freeware
    XDA-Developers forum
    Hmm... when I googled for windows mobile programs, those places didn't turn up, but I'll take a look