This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Which Browser do you use?

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
So,

I was just wondering what browsers you guys use. Mozilla Firefox? Internet Explorer? Google Chrome?

I use Google chrome. I used to use both Mozilla and IE. But IE kept freezing up on me and Mozilla was slow for some reason.

Gordotheman

Comments

• Most people are going to say Firefox.
    If it weren't for the lack of an extensions platform, I would use Chrome full-time. Firefox is beginning to lose its appeal, though it's still the only one with all those great extensions, so I still use it. The day Google gives Chrome an extensions platform (and releases Mac/Linux versions, I suppose) is the day Firefox dies. Chrome is just faster and more efficient, and I'm not sure if the guys at Mozilla are going to be able to catch up.

The latest Safari for Windows beta is pretty fast as far as page-loading goes, however, much like iTunes, it was written for the Mac and runs better on it.
  • Firefox and Chrome.

For some reason if there are more than two videos on a same page in Firefox, they either freeze at the three second mark or play with no sound. So I use Chrome for those occasions and for TED talks, they seem to load faster.
    Quoted for truth. I tried Google Chrome, but I didn't like the tabs being at the top of the screen, so I went back to Firefox.
  • Is this really a discussion?
  • edited March 2009
    Firefox.
    EDIT:
    Is this really a discussion?
    No.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    No.
    It isn't until someone says "Internet Explorer".
  • edited March 2009
    Chrome here, all the way. I used to love firefox and its myriad of extensions, until it became very slow (20+ seconds) to load. Now, the only times I use firefox are for playing browser-based games that really aren't (quake live). And the only times I use internet explorer is to update windows or to download another browser after reinstalling Wndows
    Post edited by urhereimnot on
    edited March 2009
    Firefox. Still is the best browser out there. Its extensions keep it afloat for me for quite some time. Until the day Chrome feels less wonky, has Vimperator integrated, and still outdoes Firefox in all other important areas, I will use Firefox.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm also Firefox, but, like a couple people have already said, I really like Chrome, and would at least give it a long test period if it had something like Firefox's extensions. There are just too many extensions that do too many nice things for me to switch right now.
  • Chrome. This would work better as a poll.
  • Firefox, although I do also use various others from time to time. From the looks of it, I should try chrome.
  • Firefox or one of its flash-drive derivatives.
  • Firefox. Chrome may load my pages a bit faster, but considering the speed Firefox loads pages, the difference is negligible. Chrome may get adblocking in the near future (I've been seeing a lot of articles about adblocking and/or a full extensions platform for Chrome). For me, that's not enough. I like how you can do whatever the fuck you want with Firefox, be that via the options menu, about:config, chrome editing (userChrome.css), or various other things. It gives you nearly limitless options for what you can do with your browser.
    Chrome, however, pretty much locks you in. It's their way or the highway. There were very little, if any, advanced options within the browser. Until I can beckon Chrome to look and do whatever the hell I want it to (much like I can do with Firefox right now), I could care less if it loads google .3 seconds faster than Firefox, and I will continue to use Firefox.
  • The rumors have been flying this month that MS will abandon IE.
  • I use Safari on my Mac and Firefox for PC
  • Chrome is awesome... I love the setup of the new tab or home page to show my most visited web sites. Not sure about the rumor of IE being abandoned they just put out IE 8.
  • I've been using Chrome for a while, and really liking it. I miss some of the Firefox extensions, but not enough to go back.
  • Firefox is slowing to a crawl on my MacBook, so I thought about giving Safari a trial run for a few days. So far I have a massive long list of things that I didn't realise were Firefox specific, and really, really miss. For example; opening multiple tabs on startup with 8 home pages, cmd 1 through 9 to switch between the first 9 tabs, adblock, ubiquity, re-open close tabs function, a single icon on the right where I can click to close the current tab, a way to make the "target="new"" links open in a new tab not a new window automatically, typing anything into the address bar and if it can't find it it googles shit, a decent download tracker, asking me if I want to save a password AFTER it is sent, not before, so I can tell if I got it right or not before saving it... the list goes on and on.

Yes, all those issues after about an hour of use. I think I'll stick to Firefox for a while yet.
  • Firefox has been eating quite a bit more memory than I like recently, though I still use it as my primary on my macbook. I run some CRM webapp in Safari, just in case one of my browsers crashes, and I have been running the google wave beta in chromium binary (chrome beta) when I want to futz with it. I'm really liking chrome on the mac, and I look forward to it's release.
  • I actually use Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.

I've got 4GB of ram, so a hungry Firefox is not an issue for me. I use chrome for Pandora, google docs, and other web-apps. I use IE8 for its InPrivate Mode. This comes in handy when I'm at school and the only internet available is through their public terminals.
  • I use IE8 for its InPrivate Mode
    Both Firefox and Chrome have equivalent features to InPrivate mode (Private Browsing and Incognito mode, respectively). Why would you subject yourself to IE?
  • I've decided to test out Chrome for a week. I'm already missing AdBlock, GreaseMonkey, and TwitterFox.
  • I'm just curious, why do you use Chrome for Pandora?
    No.
    It isn't until someone says "Internet Explorer".
    I use IE...at work.
  • I've decided to test out Chrome for a week. I'm already missing AdBlock, GreaseMonkey, and TwitterFox.
    Chrome will always be Firefox's little brother unless something major happens (like making chrome work with firefox add ons. Dunno if it's possible, but it would make Chrome a lot better).
  • Odd one out here, I mainly use Opera because back in the day it had tabs quite early on and I don't use extensions. Furthermore I love the speed dial (icons with pre-selected sites) for blank pages and its pretty quick.
  • Furthermore I love the speed dial (icons with pre-selected sites)
    There's an addon for Firefox that does that. It's also called Speed Dial. Thanks again to whoever on these forums that pointed that out to me.
  • Odd one out here, I mainly use Opera because back in the day it had tabs quite early on and I don't use extensions. Furthermore I love the speed dial (icons with pre-selected sites) for blank pages and its pretty quick.
    It's obvious you haven't even really tried the other browsers. Safari and Chrome both have speed dial equivalents. Firefox has it as an extension. Chrome and Safari are also way faster than Opera, and have better tab implementations.

Also, the only reason you don't use extensions is because you don't have them.