This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's the weirdest food you've eaten?

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
I'm sitting here watching Bizarre Foods and thinking of some of the weird things I've eaten. I've decided to share my thoughts with the forum and hope to hear some good stories.

What's the weirdest food you've eaten?

I think my top three are deep fried perch eggs, homemade pickled deer heart and fiddle head ferns. I've got a few more but those are the ones I grew up eating.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Baby eels (like angel hair pasta but they taste like fish) and goose barnacles (called Percebes, indescribable in flavor).
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I haven't eaten that many weird things in my lifetime, but I think the strangest thing is something of my own creation. When I was in elementary school I used to eat Honey comb cereal with Easy cheese on it. I can't for the life of me figure out why I thought of that. Something like "You know this dry cereal is good, but you know what it needs, cheese!" Of course I have long since abandoned this strange abomination but it still makes me wonder once in a while.
  • edited March 2009
    I really enjoy a banana wrapped in American cheese. It's the only time I eat American cheese, and no other cheese works with a banana.

EDIT: Also, I'm not talking about quality American cheese, like Land O'Lakes. I'm talking about Kraft yellow American singles. And it has to be yellow American; none of that inferior white American cheese crap.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Does dog food count? I ate that once as a kid. I tried some snake once. I always thought Menudo was a bit strange at least as it being served up as a breakfast food.
  • My parents got me a package of jerkys made from non-cow animals. This included alligator, ostrich, and kangaroo.
  • Probably alligator and rattlesnake. Nothing that weird. Also, much like Ebb, a bit of cat food, once, as a kid.
  • Oh! I've eaten head cheese. Weird stuff.
  • Tried horse sashimi at new years once.
  • Oh yeah, sesos tacos, which is cow brains.
  • A lot of people cringe at the idea of Chevre and chocolate, but I guess it's not really a weird food. Once you try it, it's the most natural combination in the world.
  • I'm sitting here watching Bizarre Foods
    I love watching that show, as well as Anthony Bourdain. The Travel Channel has a few neat shows, and so does the Food Channel. Most of them are shit, unfortunately. Especially in regards to the Food Channel.

I can't really remember any weird foods I've eaten, if any. It doesn't count as food, but I ate a rolly polly (pill bug, woodlice, whatever the hell you want to call it) in the 2nd grade. Taste really metallic (in the way that blood tastes metallic, but it didn't taste like blood) and like dirt.
  • I've eaten pigs feet and goat eyes.
  • I've tried both pig's ear and some sort of tentacle at dim sum. Not a fan of the chewy things.
  • Because I come from a Filipino background, there is a slew of various dishes that are beyond my realm of normal foods. I'll just name a few that I really detest.

Balut. It's duck fetus. It's so nasty. I almost puked when I tried it. This was actually a challenge for people to eat on Fear Factor once.

Dinuguan, pork blood stew made with pork intestines, aka chocolate meat. I'm not sure if I told this story here. I might have. When I was introduced to this dish, I was a wee lass of 6. I smelled a pleasant aroma from the kitchen. I wondered what my mother was cooking so I asked. She told me "Chocolate meat". As a child, this term lit up my eyes. I love chocolate and I love meat. How could it be possible to add the two together and smell so delicious? So I told my father I wanted to eat some.

My father makes up a plate with a fairly large helping of the dinuguan and rice. As I saw the dish, my eyes lost its sparkle of excitement. It did not look appetizing to me at all. I then attempt to taste it. It was alright, however I no longer hungered for it. I ate two bites of my meal and told my father I was done. My father, with his short temper, demanded I finish the entire plate and couldn't leave until it was all gone. I begged and pleaded with my father I couldn't eat anymore, but he didn't believe me and still demanded that I have to eat it.

So as I whimper as I barely stomached the food, my brother would come into the dining room from time to time and laugh at me. My father didn't think it was funny so he also made my brother a plate and demanded he finish the food as well. My brother wasn't so happy.

So there we were, my brother and I trying our best to eat this food. I tried to think of various ways I could get out of this or possibly trick my father to thinking I had eaten all the food on my plate. I resorted to tactics such as eating the meat, but only sucking off the gravy and then putting it in my napkin. Soon my napkin could no longer hold the food. I ran out of space! What could I do next?! I then proceeded by putting the meat into my pants pocket. Soon, all the food was gone off my plate.

I then told my father I was done, as my pockets bulged out a bit. My father comes over to check to see if I had actually finished the food. He notices that my pockets were bulging and was showing a slight dark discoloration. He then checked my pockets and then looked at the napkin on the table. He did not look happy at all. I was then sent to my room for the rest of the evening.

From that experience I never ate dinuguan ever again.
  • Pigs feet isn't really weird. It was common to like them when I was growing up. I hated them though.

I remember eating freeze dried ice cream once as a kid. I also like yogurt in my oatmeal which people think is weird. Then I guess octo and eel sushi, but I don't think that counts.
  • Salty Pickled Squid Guts, Crab Eggs, and Alligator are probably the three strangest things.
  • I'm also going to have to say alligator.
  • Pigs feet isn't really weird. It was common to like them when I was growing up. I hated them though.
    Same here. I think it's mostly a cultural thing. A lot of non-white cultures use various parts of animals as a common ingredient in dishes like pig's feet, chicken hearts and gizzards, that most people don't even think about.
  • Chicken feet!
  • I love chicken feet, but only in Cantonese style dim sum.

I had a deep fried scorpion once... heres some pics.
    CIMG1992
    CIMG1987
  • Cow's heart and tongue, those black Chinese eggs in the white goop soup, eel (don't think squid or octopus are weird), Mondongo (its part of the cow's intestine and stomach, its awful), Iguana and Tepesquintle are rare now.
  • For me, I think it's a tie between a BBQ octopus tentacle and an entire tiny squid.
  • entire tiny squid.
    Oh, they are some tasty little buggers.
  • Human flesh... oh no. I've said too much...
  • Oooh I love tiny squid :)
  • Honestly, a dish my ex-Cantonese gf's grandmother made. I totally pulled an Aragorn, in that scene when he is given the terrible soup. (Will post link later).
    Sadly, I never actually found out exactly what went in it.
  • Umm... is everyone avoiding the obvious here? Semen. Seriously. At least the other food items don't spout out of a penis.
  • Semen isn't a food.
  • Semen isn't a food.
    I guess it depends on the person who is eating the semen, and what their living situation is like.
  • Semen isn't a food.
    I guess it depends on the person who is eating the semen, and what their living situation is like.
    Ha. I consider anything you consume that has caloric value to be food. I certainly hope no one is subsisting off of it.