This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Rye beard? How did I miss that when I wrote that post?
  • edited September 2015
    Triple post, but I was in a baking mood this weekend. My younger sis wanted me to make these for her birthday. German chocolate cake cookies. image
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • It's Halloween so I wanted to make some candy. Here's my homemade caramel nearing its final thermal destination. image
  • I made some motherfuckin' ribs

• Bro, you can't post such amazing comestibles without talking about recipe and methodology.

• Poms are out of season so I used an assortment of berries instead (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberries)
  • Also, Sous Vide the ribs at 75c for 4 hours then five minutes under broiler for non-grill method.
  • Usually I don't like quiche. I'll eat it if that's what the meal is, but I won't order it or buy it. I think It's something I don't like about when eggs are prepared a certain way. I don't like hard-boiled eggs, either. The smell grosses me out.

So I was slightly dismayed when my Blue Apron box showed up with a quiche recipe.

https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/791

Not to let food go to waste, I made it anyway.

It was incredible. No awful quiche smell. No hardboiled egg taste. I think it's because the recipe only uses two smaller eggs, and has more cheese than egg. Also, the kale/onion/garlic that gets mixed in provides most of the flavors. The crusts they provided were also really tasty.

If you can get some tiny pot-pie crusts that are ready to bake, I highly recommend this.
  • I think you've just always had shit quiche hitherto.
  • Apreche said:

Usually I don't like quiche.

Rym said:

I think you've just always had shit quiche hitherto.

• Your quiches have sucked because they're not pizza rustica.
  • Rym said:

I think you've just always had shit quiche hitherto.

I'm with RYm on this one. If they have a hard boiled egg smell, something is very wrong. Also, you should b filling up the crust mostly with veggies, meats, and cheese, and the egg/milk filling is just poured over it to fill in the cracks and hold it together. It shouldn't be predominantly egg.
  • Agreed it's kind of like brussel sprouts, everyone hates them because the majority of people have never had them made properly.
  • sK0pe said:

Agreed it's kind of like brussel sprouts, everyone hates them because the majority of people have never had them made properly.

I can see that. I only ever eat Brussel Sprouts at restaurants that are fancy enough to make them delicious. Seeing them raw in the grocery store, I can see how they could easily be gross if prepared poorly.
  • Brussel Sprouts are so easy to cook awesomely at home. I eat them every week.
  • Andrew said:

Brussel Sprouts are so easy to cook awesomely at home. I eat them every week.

I would eat them every week if I could get them reliably. They just require bacon/speck/panchetta, garlic, onions, and either some stock and/or wine to deglaze them with. They are wonderful.

Quiches are just Tarts + Frittatas. They require balance.
  • edited February 2016
    Negative ghostrider. Salt. Pepper. Olive oil.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew said:

Negative ghostrider. Salt. Pepper. Olive oil.

That's pretty much how I make them, sometimes I replace salt and olive oil for butter.
  • And that is...?
  • edited March 2016
    Daikun said:

And that is...?

It looks like... fish over brussel sprouts and maybe carrots or potatoes?

Post edited by Nuri on
  • I think I see an asparagus tip.

Maybe parsnip? Carrot is possible too. Some kind of root vegetable along those lines.

Doesn't look flaky enough for haddock. Too thick for tilapia.

Mahi mahi or pollock maybe?
  • I think I see an asparagus tip.

Amateur. That is clearly the detached outer leaf of a brussel sprout.

• Listen, I'm a proteins guy. You do all that plant stuff.
  • Nuri said:

Daikun said:

And that is...?

It looks like... fish over brussel sprouts and maybe carrots?
    This. Halibut.

• BEETS. BEET RISOTTO WITH PICKLED BEET STEMS AND A BEET LEAF GARNISH
  • I made this savory raspberry puree last night as an experimental recipe. It was quite successful and we ended up eating most of it.

It's very simple to make. You just throw the following into a food processor or blender:

-One container fresh raspberries.
    -One whole orange.
    -2 garlic cloves.
    -Green onions.
    -Soy sauce (low sodium preferred).
    -Ginger root.

You don't need to measure the latter half of the ingredients; you can just eyeball it and adjust to taste.

Once you've made it, use it however you want. Salad dressing, marinade, cook it with vegetables...
  • Some homemade roasted veggie cream cheese spread. Really easy to make and delicious to eat!
  • Chasu pork for Ramen

Ramen broth (with chicken feet! First time I've used them...)