This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Show me the noodles.
  • Some homemade roasted veggie cream cheese spread. Really easy to make and delicious to eat!

Looks tasty! What veggies did you use?
  • Apreche said:

Show me the noodles.

Man, Jerry McGuire 2 really went low-stakes, didn't it.
  • edited May 2016
    Apreche said:

Show me the noodles.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • dat egg
  • Is it tea egg?
  • I'd guess soy sauce egg.
  • I wish I could eat that pork without suffering disastrous consequences.

I might eat it anyway.

You're a wizard, Andrew.
  • They are called Ajitsuke eggs, essentially I marinate them in the braising liquid of the pork belly after it's been resting over night. It's full of flavor (ginger, garlic, scallions, soy sauce, mirin, sake, and the pork fat)
  • Didn't know you could marinate eggs, neat.
  • Japan is all about marinating boiled eggs. Ajitsuki means flavored, and you can do it with lots of stuff, like the juices or dashi.
  • I discovered this at Trader Joe's a few days ago.

If you can find this stuff, pick it up! It's so much better than the standard garlic you might find at the grocery store, and since it's fermented, it's so much easier to peel.
  • Found the best cooking channel, the 18th Century cooking channel!
  • Some things I've been cooking lately...

Fried Cheese Curds up in Wisconsin

Smoked Pork Shoulder

叉烧包 - Chinese BBQ Pork Steamed Buns

辣子鸡丁 - Sichuan Spicy Chicken Stir Fry

小笼包 - Soup Dumplings
  • Andrew said:

叉烧包 - Chinese BBQ Pork Steamed Buns

小笼包 - Soup Dumplings

They look the same...
  • The dough is quite different. The steamed buns are doughy, pillowy texture. The soup dumplings are thin and tender, filled with hot soup.
  • image Summer poached Salmon (Salmon à la Nage)
  • TOMATO SAUCE: A PLAY IN FOUR ACTS
  • My phone's camera is dying but here are some easy breakfasts -
    Banana pancake with Nutella and strawberry topping (usually I used almond butter but ran out)

3 stack of pear pancakes topped with sliced bananas and maybe too much grated dark chocolate, alongside yoghurt, started eating before photoing lol.

Really quick smooth cheese omelette, tomatoes and raisin bread toast, drizzled with Tabasco sauce, better than a slap in the face at 6am.

When you wake up too late but don't want to have breakfast and lunch but want something inbetween...
    Focaccia filled with tomatoes, cheese, bacon and eggs
    New recipe time: French onion soup!
  • I made Croque-Madames
  • Since Halloween is coming up I made a few candies today:

Gummi Bears (well, Robots and Dinosaurs)

Peppermint Patties

And Salted Caramels (I later cut up the giant slab and wrapped the pieces)

• Got recipes for those?
  • My boss gave me a recipe from her husband for homemade Baileys. It turned out better than I expected! I'm gonna call it "Edrish Cream"

• Did it involve distilling? Or did you start from like grain or go from there?
  • edited November 2016
    Naoza said:

Did it involve distilling? Or did you start from like grain or go from there?

Distilling?! You are giving me way too much credit! It involved me mixing Jameson whiskey with cream and a few other ingredients and then chilling it.
    But I'll never buy Irish Cream liquor ever again. This stuff is both easy and amazingly good!
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • How much of each ingredient did you use? I wanna try this!
  • edited November 2016
    1 cup whiskey (I used Jamesons)
    3 eggs
    1 pt heavy cream
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 1/2 tbsp choc syrup
    1 tbsp honey

Whisk the eggs up a bit, then whisk in the cream. whip the rest of the ingredients in one by one. (I saved the whiskey for last, dunno if it matters) Chill and serve
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • 1 cup whiskey (I used Jamesons)
    3 eggs
    1 pt heavy cream
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 1/2 tbsp choc syrup
    1 tbsp honey

Whisk the eggs up a bit, then whisk in the cream. whip the rest of the ingredients in one by one. (I saved the whiskey for last, dunno if it matters) Chill and serve

Generally for egg based cocktails you put the alcohol last, I'm not sure if it is the same deal with making a liqueur from scratch.