This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I can't believe I've never viewed this thread before today.
    Also, really, put some butter on your steak. You don't need compound butter; just baste it with butter in the pan while it's cooking, and you will be rewarded.
    I like to cut the butter with some olive oil. Makes me dead less quickly.

Seriously though, with a steak with a little fat in it, not necessary. Beef fat is super tasty by itself.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Seriously though, bit a steak with a little fat in it, not necessary. Beef fat is super tasty by itself.
    Trust me on this one. Use a cast-iron skillet. Heat up a tablespoon or so of canola or some such oil. Salt and pepper on steak. Sear on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side. During the last minute of cooking, throw a lump of butter in the pan and baste the steak.

You will never have anything more delicious in your life.
  • Use a cast-iron skillet.
    Ah damn, I just realized that I don't have a cast-iron skillet yet. Add one to the Xmas wish list, along with the wok and crock pot I still need.
  • edited November 2009
    I really need to get myself a large stainless frying pan. I'm not sure all that rock salt on my teflon pans would be a good plan.

How big of a lump of butter are we talking? 1 TB? 2?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • How big of a lump of butter are we talking? 1 TB? 2?
    Yeah, 1 tbsp should do the trick for a 10 - 12 oz steak.
  • edited November 2009
    I really need to get myself a large stainless frying pan. I'm not sure all that rock salt on my teflon pans would be a good plan.

How big of a lump of butter are we talking? 1 TB? 2?
    That would depend on the lump of meat, I do mine with olive oil though and top it with chimichurri. Oh, and use a stainless steel pan if you plan to deglaze the pan for a sauce as you would probably destroy a seasoned cast iron pan.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I really need to get myself a large stainless frying pan.
    This is my frying pan. I have the 10" version. You don't need to get something that outrageous, but it's an amazing pan. I've heard that the Wolfgang Puck stuff is quite good for the price.
  • Oh, and use a stainless steel pan if you plan to deglaze the pan for a sauce as you would probably destroy a seasoned cast iron pan.
    Personally, I just can't be bothered to deal with cast iron. It's neat, but I'm not that serious with my cooking.
  • edited November 2009
    I definitely need to get some sort of pan that I can use for grilling on my awesome new(ish) gas stove. I did recently buy this Calphalon 10" commercial pan. It's the best egg pan I've ever used in my life.
    I put in a bit of butter, and it bubbles without browning. Then I crack and egg and drop it in. The egg then magically cooks so nicely, it could be used in a TV commercial. Then I just let the egg slide out onto my plate, and there's no friction whatsoever. After removing the egg, the pan looks like it is clean. You wouldn't even know it was used for cooking.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I definitely need to get some sort of pan that I can use for grilling on my awesome new(ish) gas stove. I did recently buythis Calphalon 10" commercial panimage. It's the best egg pan I've ever used in my life.
    I put in a bit of butter, and it bubbles without browning. Then I crack and egg and drop it in. The egg then magically cooks so nicely, it could be used in a TV commercial. Then I just let the egg slide out onto my plate, and there's no friction whatsoever. After removing the egg, the pan looks like it is clean. You wouldn't even know it was used for cooking.
    Wow, up to 450 degrees F, non-stick technology has gone far since I bough a non-stick pan
  • I definitely need to get some sort of pan that I can use for grilling on my awesome new(ish) gas stove.
    Get a 12" cast-iron Lodge skillet (they're like 20 bucks), a good stainless frying pan, and a good stainless saute pan, and you'll be done.
  • Wow, up to 450 degrees F, non-stick technology has gone far since I bough a non-stick pan
    I too have calphalon non-stick pans, they are pretty bitchin. I have a small 8" one that's probably about 3mm thick, I use it everyday.
  • edited November 2009
    Wow, up to 450 degrees F, non-stick technology has gone far since I bough a non-stick pan
    I too have calphalon non-stick pans, they are pretty bitchin. I have a small 8" one that's probably about 3mm thick, I use it everyday.
    I still prefer my regular, cheap, restaurant issue, stainless steel hardware. That is, unless I'm making crepes.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I still prefer my regular, cheap, restaurant issue, stainless steel hardware. That is, unless I'm making crepes.
    Ditto that.
  • Really, though, real men don't cook their steak. They find a cow that's running a fever and take a bite.
  • Really, though, real men don't cook their steak. They find a cow that's running a fever and take a bite.
    I double dog dare you, Mr. food safety.
  • edited November 2009
    Really, though, real men don't cook their steak. They find a cow that's running a fever and take a bite.
    And then die from Bovine spongiform encephalopathy.
    Trust me on this one. Use a cast-iron skillet. Heat up a tablespoon or so of canola or some such oil. Salt and pepper on steak. Sear on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side. During the last minute of cooking, throw a lump of butter in the pan and baste the steak.

You will never have anything more delicious in your life.
    Can has on Weds? :3
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited November 2009
    And then die from Bovine spongiform encephalopathy.
    Fun fact time! The internal temperature of cooked steak doesn't go high enough to sufficiently denature a prion. Autoclaving may not even destroy them. So, eating a raw steak or a well-done steak from a cow infected with BSE carries roughly the same risk.
    Can has on Weds? :3
    That sounds like a plan. Broccoli and potatoes to go on the side?

EDIT: How about some fucking scallops too? I can do them the same way.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I was making a joke. Doesn't the disease tend to stick to nervous tissue, anyway?

You can fuck all the scallops you want, dear. For some reason I am now thinking about bacon. MMmmm.
  • One of those sentences does not fit the rest of the description.
    Thank you Ted, that was the joke.
    Who is Ted?
  • I was making a joke. Doesn't the disease tend to stick to nervous tissue, anyway?

You can fuck all the scallops you want, dear. For some reason I am now thinking about bacon. MMmmm.
    Bacon, pepper, cream, stock and ccognac makes a good deglaze sauce.
  • One of those sentences does not fit the rest of the description.
    Thank you Ted, that was the joke.
    Who is Ted?
    It's a Family Guy reference.
  • Your Mom is a Family Guy reference.
  • Bacon, pepper, cream, stock and ccognac makes a good deglaze sauce.
    Fat, pepper, fat, salt, and booze.

I like the way you think, sir.
  • I need to not look at this thread at work, I'm so hungry now. :(
  • I need to not look at this thread at work, I'm so hungry now. :(
    QFT.
  • How to Cook a Fucking Steak
    Go to the goddamn grocery and get steak. Yes, the grocery. A little ammonia is not going to kill you, you pussy. You want to be all fancy and grass-fed and environmentally conscious, go ahead, I don't give a shit, just get a fucking steak. Ribeye is good. And, yes, bone-in. Schmuck. Take the steak home. Get a bigass frying pan and put the shit on the stove, cranking the heat up as far as that fucker will go. Take a shitload of salt—rocksalt, you dumb motherfucker, none of that fine-grained crap here—and toss it around the bottom of the pan. When the pan is hot as all fuck—it should scorch the shit out of your finger if you're stupid enough to touch it—put the fucking steak on there. You can crack some pepper on the top of the steak as the bottom is searing, but don't even talk to me about garlic or onion powder or COMPOUND FUCKING BUTTER, asshole. This is steak, all you fucking need is salt and pepper. After a bit (3 minutes for pink, 5 for cooked good), flip that shit over and do the same fucking thing you just did with the other side, i.e. sit on your ass and wait for your motherfucking steak to be ready, you useless assbag. When you're done, sling that shit on a plate. Beringer's 1996 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Private Reserve makes an absolutely delightful accompaniment, particularly if you've taken care to let it breathe a bit before quaffing. Also, make some fucking potatoes, because that's what you eat with a fucking steak. God, sometimes I just want to smack the shit out of you.
    Great, now you've given me an urge to go to the butcher's shop at my Martin's. Thanks a ton!
    Pearl Onions are much more complicated to use then regular onions
    But oh-so-good when used properly. I love pearl onions.
    I'll have to find a use for them...still have some lying around.
  • New Recipe! Made Kleftiko. (Stolen Lamb) Various Pictures are here.

Searing the Leg:

Bowl of Result:

Crock Pot of Result:

Result? 8/10. This one kind of has the opposite effect of my Irish Stew. This one has wonderful broth but the meat is a bit dry and lacks flavor. I slow cooked this overnight and I woke up a few times to like this bacon-y smell. And this was cooked for about 9 1/2 hours. I'm thinking I cooked it too long but this is my first time cooking lamb.

If you guys have any critiques or advice on cooking lamb/slow cooking it. I'm willing to take the advice.

Lamb Seasoning: Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Orange Zest, 8 Garlic Cloves
    Broth: Mostly Chicken Stock, Soy Sauce, Riesling Wine, and One Squeezed Orange.
  • The wife just made spaghetti, but here's the catch. No noodles. She used spaghetti squash. It was delicious.
  • Nukerjsr

Some Sour Kraut. It would add some awesome flavor. My grandparents make something similar and add Kraut to it. I'll see if she can write me a recipe up. My grandma doesn't use recipes when she makes things so the measurements vary. I'm guessing adding it is similar to making Sour Kraut soup.