This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Cabbage + lamb = yum. You can make a pretty basic lamb and cabbage stew using lamb (with bones), white cabbage, whole peppercorns, bay leaves, water, and a bit of butter. Sprinkle flour in there to help thicken it. Crock on low for a while. From that basic recipe (which is delicious by itself), you can add lots of other flavors and experiment away.
  • Made Gelato for like, the first time in year.

(In cooking state)

(After ice cream maker)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • My mother-in-law made a great cranberry sauce this year. She gave me the recipe and I made a batch up last night. It is very simple, tasty, and colorful.

Here is the recipe:
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    1 cup water
    1 bag of cranberries
    2 peeled and chunked apples
    2 peeled and chunked pears

Boil sugar and water for 3 minutes. Add cranberries and boil for 2 minutes. Add apples and pears and simmer for 8 minutes. Let it cool and serve it chilled. It would probably be great over ice cream.
  • I've never really liked cranberry sauce, but that one sounds alright.
  • Chopped nuts maybe a good addition. It's on of those very basic vestal recipes that I love.
  • edited December 2009
    I've never really liked cranberry sauce, but that one sounds alright.
    I am the same way. This one is like a pear and apple sauce with the added tartness of cranberries.
    Chopped nuts maybe a good addition. It's on of those very basic vestal recipes that I love.
    It probably would be great with some chopped nuts.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Made some pasta risotto primavera as it seems to be the hip thing to do in restaurants across the world, may I say it is awesome. Squash, bell peppers, onion, garlic, zucchini, carrots, herbs, and white wine were used in this first attempt.
  • edited December 2009
    After seeing it on BoingBoing, I have decided that I will be having tamago kake gohan for breakfast the very first morning I'm home for break. I don't know why that sounds so delicious, but goddamn.

EDIT: I should note that I'm still on the fence, mainly because its potential deliciousness is equal to my fear of salmonella. I eat a LOT of sushi though, so it's not like I'm not a big-T personality already.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited December 2009
    After seeing it on BoingBoing, I have decided that I will be havingtamago kake gohanfor breakfast the very first morning I'm home for break. I don't know why that sounds so delicious, but goddamn.

EDIT: I should note that I'm still on the fence, mainly because its potential deliciousness is equal to my fear of salmonella. I eat a LOT of sushi though, so it's not like I'm not a big-T personality already.
    Buy pasteurized eggs, no salmonella there, and unless you can guarantee that the eggs are fresh from a really clean farm, I wouldn't risk it. But then again, I also have other reasons not to.

EDIT: Seems the odds are in your favor "According to the American Egg board, about one in every 20,000 eggs might be contaminated by Salmonella."
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Need advice of the FRC cooking gurus. My brother and I have decided to get my mom a bread maker for christmas. Can you guys recommend one that can be had for around $100?
  • This is the newer version of the one I have at home. It has always worked well for me and they are a little more than half your budget.
  • Need advice of the FRC cooking gurus. My brother and I have decided to get my mom a bread maker for christmas. Can you guys recommend one that can be had for around $100?
    Bread maker? You mean a tin mold and perhaps a bread hook for the mixer?

In all seriousness I've never had like really great experiences with those, my aunt manages to make good bread with hers and looks pretty much like the one that Kate posted.
  • You mean a tin mold and perhaps a bread hook for the mixer?
    You mean two good hands and a baking stone?
  • You mean a tin mold and perhaps a bread hook for the mixer?
    You mean two good hands and a baking stone?
    That's how I do it, but I must admit its a bit extreme for most people.
  • That's how I do it, but I must admit its a bit extreme for most people.
    True, and it's also pretty time-consuming. The bread machine is wicked easy.

However, hand-kneading bread dough is one of the most satisfying things you can do.
  • Thisis the newer version of the one I have at home. It has always worked well for me and they are a little more than half your budget.
    Perfect, done. Thanks.

Guys, as cool as the baking stone is, my mom would likely not use it. Thanks though.
  • Guys, as cool as the baking stone is, my mom would likely not use it. Thanks though.
    She should keep one in the oven even if she doesn't bake on it. It helps to regulate the temperature of the oven.
  • She should keep one in the oven even if she doesn't bake on it. It helps to regulate the temperature of the oven.
    She actually has one, but doesn't know where it is. >_>
  • She should keep one in the oven even if she doesn't bake on it. It helps to regulate the temperature of the oven.
    Have you checked the oven?
  • For your amusement, me cooking in a small kitchen.
    The recipe is again pasta cooked like risotto:

Crimini Mushrooms:
    Carrots, basil, mushrooms, and onions:
    Dicing mushrooms:
    Browning chicken:
    Vegetable stock:
    All mixed together (mushrooms previously sauteed in butter) + white wine to deglaze bottom
    Finished result with 2 slices of bread, sauteed carrot sticks, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese:
    This is me BTW:
  • All this talk about bread has inspired me to try my hand at it. I'll tell you guys how it turns out in a few days.
  • Do want.
    Is that going to dissolve away over time? @_@
  • edited December 2009
    Do want.
    Is that going to dissolve away over time? @_@
    They're supposed to last for ages and ages. As long as you follow the care instuctions, you will be cooking epicurean salt-griddle delicacies for a long bit of time. It weighs several pounds. You can also chill it and use it as a beautiful sashimi platter (or for any other sort of dinner food centerpiece, really), and that won't put any wear on it aside from the brief spritz of water and pat down after dinner.

I can't fathom the effect serving someone a dinner on a slab of Himalayan pink salt would have. Probably a pretty stellar one. "Oh yeah, it's just an ahi tuna sashimi rose served on chilled pink Himalayan salt. It wasn't any trouble, really."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Back when I was in Rochester, there was a place called the Moonshine BBQ. I never went there. However, they opened up a Moonshine BBQ Express across the street from the Millennium games and hobbies. Moonshine Express went out of business after a few months. However, during those months, I went there and got an awesome sandwich. It was simple, yet awesome. Nice bun. Nice piece of grilled chicken. Slice of cheddar cheese. Grilled onions. Maybe some lettuce. Awesome BBQ sauce. Delivered in a basket on top of a bed of sweet potato fries. One time I was in there ordering, and the girl at the counter couldn't get over how delicious it looked, and she got the kid to cook her one also.

I've tried BBQ chicken sandwiches at other places, but not quite the same. Yesterday I finally got the captain obvious idea to try and duplicate it. I went out today and bought a Calphalon grill pan. This is something I've wanted for awhile, and will use often to grill when i can't go outside. Much better than a shitty George Forman situation. I then went to the grocery, and got the best BBQ sauce without high fructose corn syrup. Then I came home and went to town.

Here are the results.
  • edited January 2010
    I want your countertops.

EDIT: You should take a shot at making your own barbeque sauce.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I want your countertops.
    Yeah, they're pretty awesome. Not as awesome as the dishwasher, though. Also, gas stove is win.

I made some usual toll house cookies a couple days ago. Best batch ever. These were the second batch I made in the gas stove, but they were the first I made in the gas stove with the baking stone in there and preheating for extra time. Finally super even heating for baking. I think I've reached the point with cookies that there's nothing I can do differently except get better ingredients, or equipment. The technique is maxed out.
  • I think I've reached the point with cookies that there's nothing I can do differently except get better ingredients, or equipment.
    How many bar, rolled, or decorated cookies have you done?
  • How many bar, rolled, or decorated cookies have you done?
    I've done rolled ones, both the spiral and checkerboard variety. I've also done decorated ones with a special tool my mom has for making shapes. Basically you get to treat the real cookie dough like play-doh. Then deocrate whatever shapes you made easily with the pastry squeezy bag thing.

I never heard of a bar cookie before, but looking on the Internet it apparently means things like lemon bars and such. I don't know if I really count those as cookies. However, I was actually planning to make something along those lines very soon. I recently bought a box of graham crackers, just for eating. There was a recipe on the back of the box that tells how to make fruity bars with graham cracker crust. It's so trivial, even I can modify it to make just about any kind of bar.
  • I want your countertops.

EDIT: You should take a shot at making your own barbeque sauce.
    I agree with this statement. Also, I plan to updated soon with a new curry recipe and a stuffed chicken recipe with smoked cheese/spinach/basil.