This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

North Korea just launched a rocket.

2»

Comments

• If you're interested in getting a glimpse into North Korea,this series of videosis really interesting.
    I just watched them all. It was a nice outsider's look in at NK. It is strange that the Arirang is performed when there are so few people in the stands.
  • If you're interested in getting a glimpse into North Korea,this series of videosis really interesting.
    Here is another interesting documentary about North Korea.
  • Oh man, I just got through with the first one. I was going to comment on how it blew my mind. Now there's another to watch.
  • I think the more interesting question is does this increase the possibility of Japan modifying or repealing article nine of their constitution?
  • edited April 2009
    I think the more interesting question is does this increase the possibility of Japan modifying or repealing article nine of their constitution?
    Not at all. The Japanese have NEVER amended their constitution, nor will they over a paltry rocket launch. If we on this forum can see that it's probably an empty threat to gain leverage, then the Japanese government (and the UN, for that matter), will as well, and even if they decide it's not, they've got the backing of the UN to help them; their allies would go to war for them. They don't need to go to war.
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • they've got the backing of the UN to help them; their allies would go to war for them. They don't need to go to war.
    The UN has an impressive record at doing shit in the face of disasters (Cosovo, Sodan), and doesn't have the capalities to do anything on its own. Unless the US decides to force a decision (war along with the UN, severe embargo with the help of China), there's no external force that is likely to prevent North Korea from further progress.
    I hope Japan will remain demilitarized, but it's naive to think someone will risk dead soldiers to protect the Japanese nobility of staying unarmed. If it's merely a small small scale war between japan and North Korea, without any collateral damage (financial crisis, armed race risking neighbors), no one will help them.

Here is another interestingdocumentaryabout North Korea.
    Thanks.