This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tinkering with Old Computers

edited April 2009 in Everything Else
So I finally decided to start to play with all the computers I have laying around in my garage and throughout the house. Mainly so I can figure out what is junk and what I should keep and what I should yard sale off for a few bucks.

These are the computers I've already tested and of course all of the sub-Pentium III's work perfect. (none of the freaking over a gig computers have worked as of yet).
All my wires and some lose computers that have been found to have one or more defective parts, so I've put them aside for now.
I currently have 3 Pentium 4 motherboards and one processor, and I'm currently trying to get one set of anything to work with the gear. Note: I resorted to no case.
More loose crap.

An additional 5 computers, 8 monitors and numerous printers not shown.

Note Rym: The tile floors so I won't walk around on carpet in socks ^_^

Comments

• edited April 2009
    Note Rym: The title floors so I won't walk around on carpet in socks ^_^
    Title floors? Are these job titles, book titles, music titles, award titles, etc.?

Why do you have so many old computers? Do you buy old computers or just horde old ones that you find?
    Other than the laptop I currently own, I have only ever owned two other computers (one was my family's computer that we got when I was 12 and one I had throughout college).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I just horde ones I find (from work or friends) plus the computers I've used and abused over the years, I like playing with computer hardware. It's a hobby. I have owned (counting only family computers and computers I've used for extended periods of time) about seven computers (4 having been build by me). All these other computers are mainly from work and friends getting rid of their old junk.
  • I'm the same way. Actually, when my sister introduced me to a new client (I fix computers), Their daughter came up to me and asked "Is it true you built 3 computers out of spare parts?" When I said it was actually 4 (it was really 5), she went "wow".

I love Building computers. I get a lot of satisfaction making something that works with my two hands. I plan to just fix computers all day when I retire.
  • I love Building computers. I get a lot of satisfaction making something that works with my two hands. I plan to just fix computers all day when I retire.
    Yea, it's definitely rewarding, that and finishing a basement with your father ^_^
  • I'm the same way. Actually, when my sister introduced me to a new client (I fix computers), Their daughter came up to me and asked "Is it true you built 3 computers out of spare parts?" When I said it was actually 4 (it was really 5), she went "wow".

I love Building computers. I get a lot of satisfaction making something that works with my two hands. I plan to just fix computers all day when I retire.
    I hope, by the time you retire, computer will be at the point where they can repair themselves.

I hope, by the time you retire, computer will be at the point where they can repair themselves.
    That day shall never come to pass. Not if I can help it.
  • Until a few years ago, I was terrified to even open a case. Now I know enough basics that I can build a basic computer. I have my friends and my husband to thank for that!
  • edited April 2009
    Until a few years ago, I was terrified to even open a case. Now I know enough basics that I can build a basic computer. I have my friends and my husband to thank for that!
    The primary obstacle to learning about computers is fear. If you eliminate that fear, you gain the ability to tinker. You will try to figure things out rather than become paralyzed with fear of breaking something. The second obstacle is lack of reading. People just don't read what it says on the screen, and think about what it means. The third thing is a desire to try new things. Lots of people with computers just do the same routine tasks with them, and never do anything new. You have to constantly exploring new things you can do with your computer, or else your knowledge will not expand.

If you are fearless, and you read, and you try new things, you will become awesome with computers if you just spend enough time with them.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2009
    The primary obstacle to learning about computers is fear. If you eliminate that fear, you gain the ability to tinker. You will try to figure things out rather than become paralyzed with fear of breaking something. The second obstacle is lack of reading. People just don't read what it says on the screen, and think about what it means. The third thing is a desire to try new things. Lots of people with computers just do the same routine tasks with them, and never do anything new. You have to constantly exploring new things you can do with your computer, or else your knowledge will not expand.
    This is probably the number one thing I tell anyone who wants to know why I am semi-knowledgeable about computers..

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited April 2009
    Until a few years ago, I was terrified to even open a case. Now I know enough basics that I can build a basic computer. I have my friends and my husband to thank for that!

If you are fearless, and you read, and you try new things, you will become awesome with computers if you just spend enough time with them.
    That can be said about any knowledge set. I will probably never be interested enough to devote the time to be "awesome" with computers. I have too many other interests that take up that time. However, I will continue to learn and explore. It really isn't imperative to be "awesome" with computers in the way that you mean, but everyone should have some skill/knowledge sets that they relentlessly pursue with that enthusiasm.

EDIT: Also, sometimes that "fear" is legitimate. If you don't have disposable income, know zilch about computers, and you just open up your only computer and start tinkering, you are a dumb ass. It would be better to attend a learning annex course or read/watch tutorials.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • EDIT: Also, sometimes that "fear" is legitimate. If you don't have disposable income, know zilch about computers, and you just open up youronlycomputer and start tinkering, you are a dumb ass. It would be better to attend a learning annex course or read/watch tutorials.
    No, it's alright to open up your only computer and tinker, as long as its a desktop. You would be very surprised how difficult it is to actually break anything.
  • EDIT: Also, sometimes that "fear" is legitimate. If you don't have disposable income, know zilch about computers, and you just open up youronlycomputer and start tinkering, you are a dumb ass. It would be better to attend a learning annex course or read/watch tutorials.
    No, it's alright to open up your only computer and tinker, as long as its a desktop. You would be very surprised how difficult it is to actually break anything.
    If you know nothing (and I mean NOTHING) and you can't afford to replace anything you break, then no... that is a dumb move. You forget, Scott... people can be idiots.
  • edited April 2009
    If you know nothing (and I mean NOTHING) and you can't afford to replace anything you break, then no... that is a dumb move. You forget, Scott... people can be idiots.
    To become not an idiot you need to make a mistake to learn from. An expensive mistake will have all the more impact. In the short term it will seem really stupid. But the learning experience of an expensive mistake will be very valuable. Years later you will laugh about it. It's not that big a deal. It's even less a deal nowadays when computers are so much cheaper and getting cheaper every day.

Look at various computers and electronics that are designed with learning in mind, like the XO PC or the Arduino. They design these things with the expectation that the user will have no idea what they are doing, and break them. Breaking is learning.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If you know nothing (and I mean NOTHING) and you can't afford to replace anything you break, then no... that is a dumb move. You forget, Scott... people can be idiots.
    To become not an idiot you need to make a mistake to learn from. An expensive mistake will have all the more impact. In the short term it will seem really stupid. But the learning experience of an expensive mistake will be very valuable. Years later you will laugh about it. It's not that big a deal. It's even less a deal nowadays when computers are so much cheaper and getting cheaper every day.
    Unless you are stuck without a computer for a few years (which will severely limit your ability to learn). It is always better to use the cheap/free resources available to get a basic working knowledge than to run headlong into something and make a mistake that can damage an expensive tool. I am not saying "don't tinker". Just be smart about it.
  • Which is why I have all these computers ^_^