This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubuntu 9.04

edited April 2009 in Technology
Ubuntu 9.04 is coming out very soon. It will be ready by the end of the month. The beta has been out for awhile now. I just wanted to make a thread so that people are aware of it, and so we have a place to discuss when the release happens. I've tried the beta already, it's definitely way better than the previous version, as always. The only problem I'm having is with my laptop. When I connect the headphones, it doesn't mute the speakers. Why that muting is done in software, and not in the laptop's hardware, I do not know.

Comments

• Why that muting is done in software, and not in the laptop's hardware, I do not know.
    I always thought that was a hardware thing...
  • Why that muting is done in software, and not in the laptop's hardware, I do not know.
    I think on some machines, but not others.
  • Mines hardware on my Toshiba. When the jack broke the external speakers wouldn't work till I jumper 2 of the pins. Testing it out also and seems to work just fine since the last version wouldn't work with my motherboard fans. Working just fine now and I will prob install the new version for good.
    Well normally there is a switch in the headphone socket, that when pushed in (usually by the headphones going into socket) tell the audio card that "Hey I have some headphones stuck in me, could you cut the speakers". The sound card then relays this to the OS that then cuts the speaker sound. Now he problem probably lies in the drivers for the sound card or whatever integrated system you have and Ubuntu. So the problem is most likely a mixture of software and driver problems. The final release should fix it.
  • The last beta of 9.04 freezes once I get to X. Ubuntu 8.10 seems to be pretty stable on the same machine, baring one issue where the computer won't always come back from screen saver. The computer is a Shuttle (I forget the number) with a P4.
  • I really hope it will support the ATI 3600 HD graphics chipset.
    That depends on ATi's driver, doesn't it?
    That depends on ATi's driver, doesn't it?
    Yep.
  • Release candidate is out.
  • Release is Thursday.
  • I'm running Ubuntu Netbook Remix of 9.04 on my eeePC 900A. It is an absolute pleasure to work with. The GUI is very streamlined, battery life is extended, the hardware response is great, and every hotkey button works for once. I don't see why anyone would want Windows on their netbook, besides being afraid to learn new stuff, but I'm pretty sure there aren't too many geeks afraid of education ;)
  • Really that good, huh? I'm just looking to get my webcam working and have everything more up to date.
  • This is Major Fred to FRC, I'm stepping through the install, and it's pleasant in a most peculiar way.. and it's working a lot better than yesterday..
  • edited April 2009
    FRC to Major Fred, Hope nothing's wrong, No circuits dead...
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2009
    Webcam is working. Excellent!! Damn.. I really need a shave.

This is a definite improvement. Looks better, works better harder, feels faster and.. erm.. secures stronger(..?).
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Hard, better, faster, stronger?

Happy Ubuntu, everyone!
  • ACK, not enjoying the new version of Amarok. Other than that not too shabby.
  • edited April 2009
    ACK, not enjoying the new version of Amarok. Other than that not too shabby.
    I've never really liked Amarok's interface, so I can't imagine what they did to make it worse. The screenshots looked promising.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I was using the old Amarok but it just it took to long to scan my iPod so I'm switching to Exaile (which is basically Amarok 2 in GTK) for music and gPodder for podcasts.
  • I don't see a tab for media devices.. Did Amarok 2 simply drop digital audio player support? The only reason I originally switched to Amarok was because of its DAP support and the "queue new podcasts for transfer" option..
  • Try going into your settings/preferences, you might have to set it up first.
  • edited April 2009
    I don't see anything of the like. Also, I may have lost my podcast subscription list (sigh).
    Post edited by urhereimnot on
  • edited April 2009
    Don't worry, if you re-install Amarok 1.x, all your settings will still be there.
  • edited April 2009
    I am installing Banshee right now and I actually thought about signing up for the Amarok forum to tell them that I was done with their product. This is a great example of how to NOT to upgrade software. Amazing!
    Post edited by JohnU on
  • Last time I tried Banshee I remember it using a very different organization system to Amarok whereas Exaile is pretty much the same as Amarok 1.x.
  • edited April 2009
    It looks like the two features I care about most "will likely return," as in not available now.
    official blog
    If I wasn't already tired of dealing with this, I'd make a FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU comic about this.
    Post edited by urhereimnot on
  • Does anyone have some advice for a Linux newbie looking to dual-install on a ThinkPad?
  • edited April 2009
    Try out the Wubi installer if you're completely new to things, that way, you avoid the joys of partitioning.

If you are going to partition your drive, make a 5-10 GB partition for your root directory (Where all the system files go.) and a separate partition and make that your /home directory (Where you keep all your files.).

Urgh.. I really don't want to boot back into Windows.
  • If you are a newbie use wubi or virtualbox. Dualboot only if you really know what you are doing.
  • Does anyone have some advice for a Linux newbie looking to dual-install on a ThinkPad?
    If you already have windows installed, just carefully follow the installation wizard and it will split your drive and install grub for you. Read every option so you don't screw something up, especially when you partition the drive. Make sure it's not taking over your entire drive. Ubuntu's installer is really friendly now.