This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HELP! D: college

edited April 2009 in Everything Else
Hello there fellow geeknights members. :) It's been quite a while since I've been on here, but I have a bit of a predicament and thought I could use some of your wise words of wisdom.

Okay. So, here it is. Senior year (hell). Graduating 4.0, lots of AP classes yada yada yada. But those are old details for applications and such. Here's the real issue for me.

I've been accepted into UC Berkeley, Dartmouth, UM College Park, Northwestern, and Drexel. I'm lucky enough to have $100,000 trust fund for college. I'd prefer not to take out an excessive amount of student loans (seeing as I'd rather not be a slave to paying off those my whole life), but I would also like to go to a good college. Of course I've researched all of them, but does anybody have any words of wisdom for me? I've received the Dean's scholarship at Drexel, they're paying over half of my tuition, and they also have a good co-op program. But would simply the "name" from the other schools give me an advantage? And tips would be appreciated. I live in Maryland so I'd get in-state tuition, but I really really really really really REALLY want to get out of this state. So I'm pretty much disregarding UMCP.

First choice was Stanford but I didn't get in there... guess it's for the best though. :) The world tends to work out as it should.

Comments

• What are you planning to study?
  • In order to help, you need to be more specific:
    What are you interested in studying?
    What are you good at?
    What are you looking for in a college?
    How big a college do you want to go to?
    How much do you want to spend on college?
    Where do you want to go to college?

If you answer these questions accurately, and then research each of those colleges, I suspect the answer will become apparent. If not, you've still got time to think about it. Don't rush this decision, and take all the advice you're getting with a grain of salt. Remember, the decision is ultimately up to you.
  • Ah. Sorry. Too caught up in the basic details. XD

Interests: Business Management, 3D Animation, Culinary Arts (I know they seem random...)
    What I pwn at: Math. Too bad I have no desire to continue. Never been one for any sort of science. Always been interested in English, more so Literature. History; no.
    What I'd really want in a college: I decent social scene. I would like to be able to balance enjoyment and studying. Good dorms. Don't really care about sports.
    Size? Private. I'd prefer private colleges, but anything in a city is preferable.
    Where? Like I said, anything urban I guess. I live in... nowhere. And I'd like to get out of that. XD

Thanks for your help. I feel like I've been researching these constantly... but the decision never seems clear. My parents both went to Berkeley so they're kind of pushing for that, but it seems like too large of a school for me. All the schools seem to have their pro's and con's. I never knew choosing could be so difficult...
  • Another big thing is your politics/outlook on life. It would really suck to be stuck in a college with which you have major ideological differences.
  • edited April 2009
    Another big thing is your politics/outlook on life. It wouldreallysuck to be stuck in a college with which you have major ideological differences.
    True true. I'm liberal, but very open minded when it comes to ideas. I'd prefer being with more "open minded" people I guess, rather than people with the same political view. I'm also an atheist, so I wouldn't exactly want to go to a religious college.
    Post edited by bunnikun on
  • It's your lucky day! I happen to offer a degree in the study of life, the universe, and everything for exactly $100,000. Enroll now! I'll even throw in a complimentary letting you buy me a cheeseburger!
  • It's your lucky day! I happen to offer a degree in the study of life, the universe, and everything for exactly $100,000. Enroll now! I'll even throw in a complimentary letting you buy me a cheeseburger!
    Wow. This blows away all the competition!
  • I offer a better plan at 50,000 and I let you watch me eat the cheeseburger!

To answer your question: Go visit the colleges yourself and stay on campus a day or so if you can. Its better to look yourself and decide what you want rather than asking people to do it for you. Mistakes you will make but that's part of leaving your parents behind and moving onward. Just make sure you plan out what you want to do and then look for the best college that fits you. Your not going to find this by asking people but visiting and experiencing college life at the different campuses.
  • Did you get any other scholarship offers at the other schools?
  • Have you been to this site? StudentsReview It has reviews from students attending colleges.
  • edited April 2009
    Dartmouth. The only school on your list that comes close is Berkeley. I have a couple of friends that went to Berkeley and they weren't too happy with it.

Also, I was accepted at Dartmouth but I didn't go because I couldn't pay. This has become probably the biggest regret of my life. Don't pass up Dartmouth if you can afford it.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • hmmm...school located in paradise (Berkley) or the frozen arctic (Dartmouth)...the decision doesn't seem that hard to me.
  • frozen arctic (Dartmouth)
    Um, New Hampshire's really not that chilly, and it's quite beautiful in the summer.
  • I suggest a more interesting route. Apply for a California State university. You will pay the higher tuition for the first year but after one year of residency your tuition will drop to sub $10,000 (mine is around $3000 a year). Use some of your money to invest in a multifamily house near campus or perhaps a few condos and then rent them out. The rented units will provide you with a residual income which you can either sock away or spend.
  • Drexel is small. Berkeley is huge. Dartmouth is out in the wilderness.

It really depends on what kind of school you want and where.

Money is definitely an issue, but I'm graduating this year from Boston University, and I would have loved to attend a school away from home if I had the chance to go somewhere without loan worries.
  • edited April 2009
    frozen arctic (Dartmouth)
    Um, New Hampshire's really not that chilly, and it's quite beautiful in the summer.
    How many students are on campus in the summer?

Words of advice:

1) Figure out what you think you want to major in and choose a school that provides the most interesting program.
    2) Don't choose your school based on the town it is in. A lot of students even in large cities rarely leave the campus.
    3) Don't choose a school simply for it's name. If a non-ivy league school has the best program for your major and great extracurricular activities/student support - then why would you pay more for a name?
    4) Don't choose your school based on climate alone. Again, look at the programs. If you end up in a chillier school, then buy a coat.
    5) If you know for certain that you want to go for higher degrees/certifications/training after your undergraduate studies, then look into what graduate programs the schools provide as some offer combined/truncated programs that provide both an undergraduate and a graduate degree combined. Even if they do not, if you know for certain you want to go for a graduate degree, then find out which schools you are considering offer a graduate program in your field. If a few do, you may want to opt for them to provide a continuity of education, professors, etc.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • frozen arctic (Dartmouth)
    I'm very aware of the climate of New Hampshire. I work at a High School in New London which is about forty five minutes south of Dartmouth. It is quite cold here, but also beautiful.
    4) Don't choose your school based on climate alone. Again, look at the programs. If you end up in a chillier school, then buy a coat.
    I was being silly. All of your advice is perfect.
  • 1. Damn you. Arghh. Getting accepted into UC Berkeley with a $100k trust fund. Arghh.

2. Go to UC Berkeley. You will not regret it in the slightest.

3. Come hang out with me! (And other Berkeley geeks. We should have a meetup)
  • edited April 2009
    Sorry, here's a longer, more in depth post:
    Apply for a California State university.
    No. Don't. You got into Berkeley. From what I know about you, you'd really love Berkeley, and hate most CSU's.

Also, don't go to Dartmouth. The school's nice, but the town sucks. Dartmouth is basically the Chico State (except colder) of the Ivy Leagues.

And, while Berkeley is huge, it seems small when you go there. You run into people you know all the time. And the town is great. Also, next to San Francisco, the most progressive, techie-awesome city in the United States (NYC, while techie and awesome, is older and likes to be so).

EDIT: Did I mention you will absolutely fucking LOVE Berkeley? Trust me, you will. I'm going to community college in town, and transferring to UCB to double major in Cognitive Science (look into it) and Japanese.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited April 2009
    Apply for a California State university.
    No. Don't. You got into Berkeley.
    California state schools are some of the best, but really. You got into Berkeley.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2009
    No. Don't. You got into Berkeley.
    California state schools are some of the best, but really. You got into Berkeley.
    Indeed. While CSU's are good schools, you belong at Berkeley.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited April 2009
    Haha everyone! I love you! :)

After much thought I have decided that I am still undecided and need to visit some campuses. XD I checked out Drexel last weekend (after working for 17 consecutive hours jfc), and I liked it.

Took a look at Dartmouth and found that although the school is beautiful and has a great liberal arts program, it really doesn't have a major I'm interested in. Which is a shame really, considering it seems like the Stanford of the East coast. It's also too expensive. I mean, 50k a year?

Northwestern seems nice, but is completely unaffordable. So I'm definitely not going there.

Right now it's between Berkeley and Drexel, which seems like a rather odd competition, but it's really come down to price and major. Both locations seems perfect for me. I already know a lot about Berkeley (having lived in California until I moved to Maryland in 6th grade), but Philly was a dream to visit.

Now Berkeley is ripping me off. Seriously. I was born in California, lived there for 10 years, had parents who lived there their whole lives, and I'm not offered a single scholarship. Seriously? Out of state tuition is ridiculous! But, if I went to Berkeley, I might switch in to Cal Arts because they have a beautiful program for 3D-animation. :)

Now Drexel, although not high on reputation, has a wonderful co-op program, which would be great on a resume and they also have a culinary arts program that I'm interested.

They're both very different paths. And I'm rather torn. :(
    Post edited by bunnikun on
  • They're both very different paths. And I'm rather torn. :(
    I know how you feel. I'm making a very similar decision right now.
  • They're both very different paths. And I'm rather torn. :(
    I know how you feel. I'm making a very similar decision right now.
    Well Sail, even though I'm rather quiet on the forums, I've always respected you here! ^_^ I know I can't give much advice, but if you need any help, just feel free to ask.