This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Linux and Tablet PC = good?

edited January 2006 in Technology
I was thinking about getting a tablet pc and replacing the os with linux so that i can go on the internet and doodle on oekakis.

here is the model that i'm looking at:
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1669111

Comments

• A tablet PC like that is no different than a laptop except for the touch screen. I do know that wacom tablets work great in Linux and so do some touch screens. Whether that particular one will work I don't know. Google might know, but I don't have time to search now. Try searching for the model number of the tablet and Linux on Google and you might find some people's experiences.

I recommend taking an Ubuntu LiveCD to a store where they have the tablet for sale. Pop the CD in the tablet and restart it. If you can use the touch screen properly after it boots, then you're good to go.

If you can't do that then only buy a tablet if you can find reliable internet information about Linux running on that model. If you don't mind running windows then just get the tablet you were going to buy anyway and try the livecd. If it works, do the full Linux install. If not, leave the Windows on there. There are still rumours of Mac tablets, but don't bank on it.
  • Hmm...Have you ever tried using a WACOM tablet? I'd say experiment with both a tablet and a tablet PC is you can before buying one or the other, if you have a way to try them out. I have heard that sometimes the tablets don't work so well with linux, but never tried it myself. Personally, I like the USB tablet better than the touchscreen laptops, and if you get a small tablet, it's just as portable. Plus, you can use it on any computer.
  • From what I've heard, Wacom tablets work great in Linux. There's a driver and everything. Although I must admit, I never tried it myself.
  • Yeah I have a Intuos 6x8. I don't really like it much because I am so used to drawing on paper.

I like drawing with nintendo DS pictochat. So I figured that I would like a tablet pc.
  • http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net is the WACOM driver of which Scott speaks.

It does indeed work quite well, in my experience, though you should really make sure the type of tablet you have in mind is supported (I was mildly burned in this regard, and had to mess around with the development version to have mine supported until recently). Check the compatibility list and/or project mailing list.

I'm not sure how much linux software will actually take full advantage of it; the only program I know will is the GIMP. You can of course use it as a mouse, regardless.
  • The plan was I would use Gimp and go on the oekakis on the net with this. Also I tried to look up whether this particular model can take linux or not, and I'm still not sure. Nothing I have found so far has indicated this. Can anyone help?
  • edited January 2006
    http://tuxmobil.org/tablet_unix.html
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Thanks you guys.