This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Bold Step for Games? Konami's Six Days in Fallujah

I'm sure you've heard bout this by now. Konami have a new game IP in development, called Six Days in Fallujah, and FPS which tells the story of those days of the war, from both sides. Now many out there might object to this game, on biased grounds of taste and timing, with troops from everywhere still over there. However, while I understand that, I seriously think that Konami should create this game and not be discouraged.

Those in objection, IMO, are doing so out of fear and that this is all about entertaining. Their view of games perhaps is only of the fun aspect, not of the wanting to hear the tragic tales or to sample the game. In an age where even the TV news can't be totally trusted, and stuff covering the same subject, like Over There and Generation Kill appear on TV and no one cares, However, give a game the same subject to handle and its a no go area. This is wrong.

I hope Konami stick to their guns on this idea. I've been saying for a while, that Konami had lost it, development wise (beyond MGS etc), but this game could put them on the map again.

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• If it was a movie, nobody would complain. Freedom of speech. Make whatever game you want. If you don't like it, nobody is making you play it.
  • If it was a movie, nobody would complain. Freedom of speech. Make whatever game you want. If you don't like it, nobody is making you play it.
    That is very true, in fact if it was a movie it would probably be praised and lauded as these movies often are. It will however be interesting to watch the development of this game because Konami are (at least potentially) pushing the boundaries of what a game can be, because rather than creating a game for entertainment they could make something designed to enlighten and explain the difficulties of the Iraq War.

That said I'll remain skeptical about it until I see the finished product
  • Don't be hasty. Just because the game takes place in Fallujah, does not mean that it will touch on the issues. Or be smart. Or be good.
  • edited April 2009
    Don't be hasty. Just because the game takes place in Fallujah, does not mean that it will touch on the issues. Or be smart. Or be good.
    That's why I said I'll remain skeptical because it could be a shitty third person shooter set in Fallujah because it would attract attention
    Post edited by Irascible on
  • I think the ideal result would be a game that feels closer to watching Saving Private Ryan than Die Hard. A video game that actually compels you to keep playing when you're not actually having fun. Unfortunately, this would be an incredibly difficult thing to do, and I'm not about get excited about something so unlikely.
  • Manufactured hype for a generic game.