This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SFBRP Live Recording (with video) - Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451

edited April 2009 in Everything Else
Inspired by geeknights, and following Scott's suggestion, I thought I'd do my own podcast recording live video event type thing. I know a lot of geeknights listeners have read Hyperion, so I thought you'd appreciate joining in! Here's the blurb I posted in the podcast feed:

As I mentioned on the last episode of the SFBRP, I'm planning to do live recording sessions of the next few episodes.

Everything is set up and ready to go! Tomorrow night (Thursday 16th April), just go to http://www.ustream.tv/channel/lukeburrage and join in the fun. The session will begin at:
11pm Central European Summer time
10pm British Summer Time
5pm Eastern Daylight Time
2pm Pacific Daylight Time

I'll be reviewing and discussing Dan Simmons' novel Hyperion, one of the most requested novels from the listeners of the SFBRP.

The idea is that I'll chat for a few minutes and welcome any listeners, then do a normal SFBRP recording, then take questions about the review and the book from those following in the attached chatroom, to be included in the podcast itself. Following that I'll be open for whatever those in the chatroom suggest, answer any questions, whatever.

If you miss the recording session, the video will be recorded in full, and you can play it at any time by visiting the same page. The audio will be edited and released as a normal episode in the podcast feed.

Comments

• 45 minutes to go. I'm already chatting to Jessie from SFFaudio and having a lot of fun. Come over and chat.
  • I'm going to do another live show tonight, just thought I'd mention it here. Same details as above (ish) but a different book: Crystal Rain by Tobias S Buckell. Starts in just under 3 hours.
  • Technology is catching up with me... the author of the book I was reviewing was watching the live video stream. I guess he tracks his own name on twitter.
  • No pressure.
  • Well, I didn't know he was watching at the time. I guess I wouldn't have gone through so much of the book picking out his grammar mistakes if I did. The outcome of the review would have been the same though.
  • edited May 2009
    Technology is catching up with me... the author of the book I was reviewing was watching the live video stream. I guess he tracks his own name on twitter.
    That is amazing! You may have an impact on that author's future work. How neat is that?!
    EDIT: Would you please title your videos and number their parts?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Technology is catching up with me... the author of the book I was reviewing was watching the live video stream. I guess he tracks his own name on twitter.
    That is amazing! You may have an impact on that author's future work. How neat is that?!
    EDIT: Would you please title your videos and number their parts?
    I don't think my reviews are going to have that much impact on anyone. There has been another author who listened to a review I did of his book... unfortunately the two times this has happened (that I know of) the reviews have been largely negative.

I've titled the videos now. Also in this episode I worked out that it was the high upload bandwidth that was killing my connection, so turning down the quality means next time it should record as a single, long take. Much better!
  • edited May 2009
    I don't think my reviews are going to have that much impact on anyone. There has been another author who listened to a review I did of his book... unfortunately the two times this has happened (that I know of) the reviews have been largely negative.
    True, but they heard you and you never know what they may take from that. The possibility is there and I find that alone to be marvelous. Think about it, you are not a reviewer for a major paper, but they heard your thoughts about their work. Even if they ignore what you said, they heard you a reader, not a a paid critic. I just think that is fabulous, but I also get excited when my dogs cock their head to the side and look inquisitive (so I may just be excitable).

Thanks for the titles. I have only recent started listening to your podcast as I am delving further and further into my father's Sci-Fi collection that he has lent/given me. I am really enjoying the podcast and adding many a book to my must read list!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • You're right in so many ways. Of course, loads of authors have whole Internet communities chatting and discussing on their own websites. Anyone can post blog comments or send emails directly to the author. I guess the big difference for me is that I do an in depth discussion of a book, rather than the much simpler messages must people would send.

Thanks for listening to the podcast! I always intended it to be a resource like this. That's why I only do novels, and only ever one novel per show.
  • I'm doing a new live show, starting in about 45 minutes. That's 11pm CEST, maybe 2pm PST. The link is here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/lukeburrage

I'm going to be reviewing Fahrenheit 451. Come hang out in the chatroom, and throw in comments and questions and opinions.