This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Starcraft 2

Comments

• Anyone want to play some matches? I'm finally getting acquainted with the Zerg build order a bit. I still fall behind, but I'm farther along than I was yesterday.

Real-ID is Vhdblood@gmail.com
  • edited July 2010
    Hmm, well, it seems that if I bought SC2 I'd be able to play on both North American and Australian servers, so I'm less down on Battle.net 2.0 than I was before.

I'm still down on the lack of LAN play and decent chat features, and Blizzard's control of tournament play, but being unable to play on NA servers was probably the biggest issue and it's good to see that's gone.

EDIT: However, Blizzard's price on the digital download is AUD 89.95 (around 80 USD). No way I'm paying that much.

EDIT2: Looking around a little, it can be found for A$69.97 here. I guess it deserves consideration.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited July 2010
    Argh, I have gotten so bad at this from not playing for seven or eight years. Things I relearned very fast (for Terrans):

1) Map your command center as a group and set the rally point to a mineral patch. Your base should have about 30 SCVs to ensure swift gathering; upgrade to an Orbital Command ASAP and use the MULEs to boost your economy. Also, MULEs mining crystals? Where have I heard that one before?

2) Consider base expansion as soon as you have a barracks and tech lab set up. Scout an area with reaper and marauders; use 15 of the original SCVs as the basis for the new outpost.
    3) Any units that you're remotely considering marching with should be mapped to a group.
    4) Learn all the hotkeys. ALL OF THEM.

Also, Protoss void rays are ridiculously high powered. Especially due to the whole "damage increase proportionate to duration of attack" factor. They're great if you're protoss, and a horrific annoyance if you're Terran.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Random - I both wonder if Terran buildings squish enemy units when they set down from flying now, and I wonder if they did in SC1 - I can't remember for the life of me.
    I'm not positive about SC2, but in SC1 it wouldn't let you land a building unless the area you designated was clear of units.
  • I'm not positive about SC2, but in SC1 it wouldn't let you land a building unless the area you designated was clear of units.
    Aw - I want to stomp people to death with my flying city of doom.
  • Also, Protoss void rays are ridiculously high powered. Especially due to the whole "damage increase proportionate to duration of attack" factor. They're great if you're protoss, and a horrific annoyance if you're Terran.
    Not too bad as a Zerg. I can micro Hydras well enough to make them never attack at full power. Burrow FTW.
  • micro
    What exactly constitutes "microing?" I'm not clear on the specifics. Also, someone I was reading mentioned "kiting" with Terran Reapers; anyone know how to do that?
  • What exactly constitutes "microing?" I'm not clear on the specifics. Also, someone I was reading mentioned "kiting" with Terran Reapers; anyone know how to do that?
    Micro means Micro-managing. Basically, while I'm doing everything else on the map, I'm also selecting the hydras that are fighting the void rays and burrowing them every 5 seconds, on and off, so that the void rays will close and have to restart the damage buildup.

Kiting is a form of micro. It's basically abusing range with a fast unit. I.E. I can have 4 Reapers move 5 yards away from a zergling, stop and shoot, move 5 more yards, stop and shoot. The zergling can't catch up, and it's a melee only unit.
  • Micro means Micro-managing. Basically, while I'm doing everything else on the map, I'm also selecting the hydras that are fighting the void rays and burrowing them every 5 seconds, on and off, so that the void rays will close and have to restart the damage buildup.

Kiting is a form of micro. It's basically abusing range with a fast unit. I.E. I can have 4 Reapers move 5 yards away from a zergling, stop and shoot, move 5 more yards, stop and shoot. The zergling can't catch up, and it's a melee only unit.
    This shit should just be automatic.
  • edited July 2010
    I'd just like to add that I'm losing most of the matches I'm playing, so I don't really see how anyone less experienced can even try to play multi-player. It's ridiculous the average experience level of the players on there.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Okay, so I've been microing. Thanks for helping me understand kiting.

Even in the novice matches you get owned. I'll be building my first tech lab for a factory and suddenly, boom, there's 9 void rays and 2 carriers stuffing hellfire down my throat. Motherfuckers.
  • edited July 2010
    Me and two friends just played three 3v3 matches and ended up winning 2 by the skin of our teeth and losing 1 terribly. It was tons of fun though.

Also, the replay system is beyond fantastic.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited July 2010
    I can't believe my friends are using their vacation days for this. Just wait for the weekend like regular people!
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • I thought the game had a system so if you're a new you only play against newbs?

I think that the system has a flaw in that the skilled people actually have to win a bunch in order to prove to the game that they have skill. The result is that you don't play against newbs, you play against skilled players who are just starting out. The game should ask you if you have played Starcraft before, and put you in a separate ladder.
  • I can't believe my friends are using their vacation days for this. Just wait for the weekend like regular people!
    My friend beat the single player within 24 hours of it coming out........I don't even own the game yet...
  • edited July 2010
    My friend beat the single player within 24 hours of it coming out........I don't even own the game yet...
    Yeah, mine should be delivered today, tomorrow. I don't think I'll even be able to beat the single player that quickly. I'll probably lose a ton.

Maybe I should play the Starcraft 1 single player. I never beat the whole thing. Also, isn't there an expansion that adds even more single player to it? I never played that at all.

Oh, it seems that Blizzard sells a Starcraft anthology digital download for $15 from their site. I might pick that up so I get the whole plot. People seem to be really excited about this story, so best I see if it's good or not.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • People seem to be really excited about this story, so best I see if it's good or not.
    They're mostly hot for Kerrigan, and read the rest of the plot to pretend that she isn't the object of their true interest.
  • Yeah, mine should be delivered today, tomorrow. I don't think I'll even be able to beat the single player that quickly. I'll probably lose a ton.

Maybe I should play the Starcraft 1 single player. I never beat the whole thing. Also, isn't there an expansion that adds even more single player to it? I never played that at all.

Oh, it seems that Blizzard sells a Starcraft anthology digital download for $15 from their site. I might pick that up so I get the whole plot. People seem to be really excited about this story, so best I see if it's good or not.
    I thought SC1 comes with SC2 when you buy it....
  • They're mostly hot for Kerrigan, and read the rest of the plot to pretend that she isn't the object of their true interest.
    I was always a fan of Raynor but not in that gay sort of way :-p
  • I thought SC1 comes with SC2 when you buy it....
    If it does, then I will wait for the box to arrive before I make any digital purchases.
  • edited July 2010
    I think that the system has a flaw in that the skilled people actually have to win a bunch in order to prove to the game that they have skill. The result is that you don't play against newbs, you play against skilled players who are just starting out. The game should ask you if you have played Starcraft before, and put you in a separate ladder.
    So you tell it you've played SC before (even though you sucked at it). It sticks you in the ladder with the more experienced players, where you can continue to get your ass handed to you until the skill system figures out where to rank you. Telling it you've played before doesn't do you any good, because everyone would still be starting from rank zero in the "experienced" ladder. It's only a problem now because the matchmaking system is still reading all the accounts as newbies. Give it a week or so for things to shake out and the match-ups will become more even.
    Oh, it seems that Blizzard sells a Starcraft anthology digital download for $15 from their site. I might pick that up so I get the whole plot.
    Didn't we already suggest doing this? *checks the board* Yep - back in the thread on the episode about RTS games. Get the first one and its expansion. Play it through. Learn the units and the tech trees. Then move on to SC2 and you'll be better prepared.
    I thought SC1 comes with SC2 when you buy it....
    If it does, then I will wait for the box to arrive before I make any digital purchases.
    Go ahead and get the digital edition. The only version of SC2 that comes with SC & BW is the $100 collector's edition.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • So you tell it you've played SC before (even though you sucked at it). It sticks you in the ladder with the more experienced players, where you can continue to get your ass handed to you until the skill system figures out where to rank you. Telling it you've played before doesn't do you any good, because everyone would still be starting from rank zero in the "experienced" ladder. It's only a problem now because the matchmaking system is still reading all the accounts as newbies. Give it a week or so for things to shake out and the match-ups will become more even.
    But I tell it that I've NEVER played SC before, and it puts me with all the other chumps. We can all be level -1 together.
    Go ahead and get the digital edition. The only version of SC2 that comes with SC & BW is the $100 collector's edition.
    Ok, I'll get it when I get home probably.
  • Have been playing it two days. Played a practice match yesterday, and won because my opponent failed to expand until later in the game, when I already had a booming economy and could easily move around the map to stop him from expanding. I learned a couple of things while playing this and watching the replay for it:

1) Scouting is god damn important! The more I know about what my opponent is throwing at me, the more easily I can adapt my economy to develop a counter system.
    2) Expand when I have the advantage.
    3) Map control is essential. I didn't move my units around a lot, I need to be more proactive about that.
    4) Learn my match ups and my tech tree for the race I'm playing with. Learn it like my life depends on it.
    5) If all else fails, build more gathers. Can never go wrong with more gathers.

Listing the things I learned and the things I need to do to improve is easy. Implementing it in the game is hard as balls. The combination of coming up with a strategy and implementing it with tactics is tough, largely because your doing so much at the same time. If that wasn't enough, the game also demands a certain level of precision with the mouse and keyboard that is far more daunting then any other game I played. In an army that contains mixed units, coordinating between the lot requires some ADD like attention. I feel like for people who are just starting the game, your better off learning more optimal ways in controlling the game (the micro part of it). Whats the use of creating a perfect strategy if your hands can't perform the task that is required to pull it off?
  • edited July 2010
    When the beta was out I played practice rounds and got ranked and such. Do I get a redo?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • But I tell it that I've NEVER played SC before, and it puts me with all the other chumps. We can all be level -1 together.
    Yep. And so will all the other people who have played before and then lied about not having played before so they can stomp chumps and boost their ranking artificially. There's no good way to get around it other than to let people fight it out and then rank them on their results. The people who are godlike will rise to the top faster than someone who is still playing point-and-click and doesn't understand hotkeys yet. It'll be a painful process for the total newbs, but losing builds character, eh?
    When the beta was out I played practice rounds and got ranked and such. Do I get a redo?
    They wiped all the beta rankings prior to release.
  • They wiped all the beta rankings prior to release.
    Hooray and also boo.

Hooray for me I get to start over.

Boo, the guys who proved they were good should have started at least +1 from everyone else.
  • So I tried to buy Starcraft 1 on Blizzard.com and their site totally fucked up. Now waiting for Blizzard support to fix it. Give up the stupid battle.net. Everyone fuckin' use Steam.
  • So I tried to buy Starcraft 1 on Blizzard.com and their site totally fucked up. Now waiting for Blizzard support to fix it. Give up the stupid battle.net. Everyone fuckin' use Steam.
    For what it's worth, I'm in a similar boat. Monday night I decided I should add some security above and beyond the normal password to my battle.net account, so I started the process of buying an authenticator. Right before submitting I realized I had put in the wrong credit card's number so I canceled the order. Now for whatever ungodly reason my account thinks it has to have an authenticator code to let me in. I discovered this on Tuesday morning. 60 hours later and still no word back from Blizzard on getting it fixed, other than the initial auto-email. I've had SC2 sitting on my desk since Tuesday mid-day and haven't been able to play it because I'll be damned if I'm going to go register a different account just to play it. Blizzard needs to get their shit together.
  • It fixed itself.
  • edited July 2010
    If anyone on here has issues with their Battle.Net accounts or anything Blizzard related in general, don't be afraid to whisper me. I'm still in CS for now and even when I leave, I know people and can get stuff done.

@ Tech - Email me at davidw.support@blizzard.com with a short description of the issue. I'll look into it personally.
    Post edited by Dromaro on