This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Christian Death Threats?

Comments

• I think the first response video is worth posting.
  • Why aren't you a muslim?
  • I think the first response video is worth posting.
    pwn3d. I love it when logic wins out.
  • edited April 2009
    The Colbert one was pretty good too.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • If you don't want to discuss these topics, stop posting in this thread.
    QFT
    The problem was that the discussion had completely drowned out any discussion of the original topic, the same way it does every time it is brought up as a tangent. I don't have problem with people having a discussion about Christianity vs Atheism, but it would be nice it it was done in a dedicated thread instead of hijacking a thread and taking it off-topic. I find religious philosophy and it's endless variations to be fascinating, but they have their place.
    I wonder if they give the Christians time in school to teach about God and creationism alongside evolution theory and alongside all the theories of the other religions and cults including scientologists and wiccans all with the same importance and all taught as possibilities without commenting on the flaws, then what would they say? I don't think that the Christians would like it if some one teaches their kids that according to some religion gays are A-OK...
    I believe there are actually schools that were trying to get this kind of curriculum approved. Their rationale was that the kids are more likely to have respect for freedom of religion if they learn about other religions rather than fear the unknown. I like the idea, but I don't see how it could possibly be done right. It would have to be done at a fairly early age in order to preempt environmental bigotry, but how old do the kids need to be before they can really understand the concept of multiple religions? We don't teach philosophy in grade school in the states. I think that speaks to the average level of our students. Kids are imprinted with prejudice before they become capable of abstract reasoning, which is the main obstacle.
  • edited April 2009
    The problem was that the discussion had completely drowned out any discussion of the original topic, the same way it does every time it is brought up as a tangent. I don't have problem with people having a discussion about Christianity vs Atheism, but it would be nice it it was done in a dedicated thread instead of hijacking a thread and taking it off-topic. I find religious philosophy and it's endless variations to be fascinating, but they have their place.
    I guess the only problem with having it on this board is if someone made a overt thread on that topic, Scott would shut it down :-p so people have to be subtle about it ^_^ So I guess we'll just have to make a thread that is disguised. :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Honestly though, why should Scott nanny us?
    Can't we be free to waste our time on pointless discussions if we choose to do so?
  • I would agree but he would say it's his board, go find another board to discuss it on.
  • LOL. Stealth debate.
  • Honestly though, why should Scott nanny us?
    Can't we be free to waste our time on pointless discussions if we choose to do so?
    I would agree but he would say it's his board, go find another board to discuss it on.
    Wow, argument by Scott-Proxy.
  • Wait. Did they just say "a rainbow coalition has come together to protect marriage"?

• Wait. Did they just say "a rainbow coalition has come together to protect marriage"?

I sorta think that's the point. You know, Colbert and his irony/burlesque.
  • And his intense fear of bears. Don't forget that.
  • I sorta think that's the point. You know, Colbert and his irony/burlesque.
    The original certainly wasn't being ironic, and that's the one he was quoting.
  • I sorta think that's the point. You know, Colbert and his irony/burlesque.
    The original certainly wasn't being ironic, and that's the one he was quoting.
    No, the original didn't say anything about a rainbow coalition. I'm pretty sure.
  • edited April 2009
    No, the original didn't say anything about a rainbow coalition. I'm pretty sure.
    Yes it does.

Happens at 0:47, if you can't stand the idiocy:
    Post edited by misakyra on
  • No, the original didn't say anything about a rainbow coalition. I'm pretty sure.
    Yes it does.

Happens at 0:47, if you can't stand the idiocy:

Oh wow...That's pathetic. They don't know anything about gay rights at all if they use rainbow in their anti-gay argument. Seriously, what morons.
    Well, it is just Colbert's burlesque then. Can't say I understand why the original used other than their idiocy and failure to make a logical and cohesive argument.
  • edited April 2009
    Oh wow...That's pathetic. They don't know anything about gay rights at all if they use rainbow in their anti-gay argument. Seriously, what morons.
    This isn't the only instance.

Teabagging.
    2M4M.

Really, they should keep this sort of thing up. Eventually, they'll come up with a slogan that even the other right-wing nuts see as a hilarious double entendre/lack of any knowledge of modern slang, and they'll be universally recognized as a bunch of fringe crazies. Like the Flat-Earth Society.
    Post edited by misakyra on
  • Oh wow...That's pathetic. They don't know anything about gay rights at all if they use rainbow in their anti-gay argument. Seriously, what morons.
    This isn't the only instance.

Teabagging.
    2M4M.

Really, they should keep this sort of thing up. Eventually, they'll come up with a slogan that even the other right-wing nuts see as a hilarious double entendre/lack of any knowledge of modern slang, and they'll be universally recognized as a bunch of fringe crazies. Like the Flat-Earth Society.
    Why does a hate group have to label themselves as a church? Gives a bad name to all churches.

That's ironic though. These guys are such idiots.
  • I went to a catholic school, religion teachers made it clear, evolution is correct, Adam and Eve was just a metaphor as well as the seven days of creation, as in those times I'd probably be a waste of time explaining the whole shebang as it happened. Same hardcore catholic priests told us, not to judge gays, lesbians, etc. as God is the only one to judge, just live your life and let the others live theirs, and if God could forgive a killer baby rapist if he truly regretted it in his deathbed, how could he not forgive someone who lived a good life just because they liked to take it up the ass(almost with those exact words). One of them as well said that if we have a sense of humor, God does as well so lighten up.
  • I went to a catholic school, religion teachers made it clear, evolution is correct, Adam and Eve was just a metaphor as well as the seven days of creation
    If there's nothing miraculous about it, then why do you need God at all?
  • I went to a catholic school, religion teachers made it clear, evolution is correct, Adam and Eve was just a metaphor as well as the seven days of creation
    Well, they believed that whatever created life in the way that it happened was the miracle and the fact that we are talking to each other is the miracle.
    Well, they believed that whatever created life in the way that it happened was the miracle and the fact that we are talking to each other is the miracle.
    Oh, so circular reasoning? Awesome.
    Oh, so circular reasoning? Awesome.
    I'm sorry, you seem to have thought that it was my point and thus I should back it up. My point was, that at least not all people who believe in God are THAT gullible when it comes to creationism and some other rules.
  • I'm sorry, you seem to have thought that it was my point and thus I should back it up. My point was, that at least not all people who believe in God are THAT gullible when it comes to creationism and some other rules.
    But that's my point exactly. What's the point of believing in an all-powerful god if you're going to just move the benchmark to rationalize away any kind of divine intervention anytime science solves a piece of the puzzle? If god's not responsible for doing in the big things, then why call him god? It's like these so-called believers just want to keep on saying their god is great (just not great enough to do the things that society has come to understand are part of the natural order). Their god is so great (just not great enough to do the whole creation in seven days thing). Their god is so great (just not great enough for the whole Adam and Eve thing). If their god isn't great enough to stand by the things their holy manuscripts claim, then why call him god? Why care about him at all? Why waste time at church? And if you can't believe that part of the bible, then why believe, honor, cherish, or obey any of the rest? After all, the bible is all Christians really have to cling to as any kind of objective definition of what they believe. When they start giving ground of the fundamental parts of it, doesn't that pretty much negate all the rest? Admit defeat about creationism and they've pretty much admitted there is no god -- or at least no useful construct called god.
  • You seem to be making a lot of assumptions there, you are saying that the bible is the foundation of religion, when the belief of a God is, the bible is just a book, and even though it's supposed to be the word of God, it was still written by men, that lived in different times, translated, re-translated. The bible is more of a guideline, its basically be good, don't judge others, don't kill, etc. Assuming and believing that the bible is to be taken word for word, is really dumb, it's like reading poetry and taking it word for word. Its written as stories so they can still work for all time, just like a Dr. Seuss book, even though he talked about butter on a piece of bread, it works for old wars, new wars and all wars.
  • You seem to be making a lot of assumptions there, you are saying that the bible is the foundation of religion, when the belief of a God is, the bible is just a book, and even though it's supposed to be the word of God, it was still written by men, that lived in different times, translated, re-translated. The bible is more of a guideline, its basically be good, don't judge others, don't kill, etc. Assuming and believing that the bible is to be taken word for word, is really dumb, it's like reading poetry and taking it word for word. Its written as stories so they can still work for all time, just like a Dr. Seuss book, even though he talked about butter on a piece of bread, it works for old wars, new wars and all wars.
    No, I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The Bible is the sole source and foundation of the Christian faith. The belief of god without doctrine is deism.
  • edited April 2009
    You seem to be making a lot of assumptions there, you are saying that the bible is the foundation of religion, when the belief of a God is, the bible is just a book, and even though it's supposed to be the word of God, it was still written by men, that lived in different times, translated, re-translated. The bible is more of a guideline, its basically be good, don't judge others, don't kill, etc. Assuming and believing that the bible is to be taken word for word, is really dumb, it's like reading poetry and taking it word for word. Its written as stories so they can still work for all time, just like a Dr. Seuss book, even though he talked about butter on a piece of bread, it works for old wars, new wars and all wars.
    No, I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The Bible is the sole source and foundation of the Christian faith. The belief of god without doctrine is deism.
    Well, first of all, if it is so, then what where they called when there was no bible or complete bible? were they Beta Christians wait... I guess jews? cuz it wasn't like poof! here be the whole bible!

The belief that there is a God and faith that there is an afterlife is the base of Catholicism, the bible is just the guideline as to how to get there, it's not deism, they believe in prophecies, they believe in prophets, etc.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • The belief that there is a God and faith that there is an afterlife is the base of Catholicism
    Then what is the difference between Judaism and Catholicism then?
  • The belief that there is a God and faith that there is an afterlife is the base of Catholicism
    Then what is the difference between Judaism and Catholicism then?
    Christ, the Virgin Mary? but its basically the same God and same principles