This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Christian Death Threats?

12346»

Comments

• He who uses ctrl+F is ignorant of the ways of the /
    If you are a photoshop user, CTRL+F comes more natural
  • Plus the / doesn't have a Next/last/highlight all button.
  • Actually, I'm on a mac so it's Cmd+F. Meanwhile, Cmd+F takes exactly the same number of keystrokes as Shift-7, and has more functionality, so I'll stick with it.
  • not if you use the / on the numpad, unless it's a laptop
    But to use that one, you have to move your fingers from the home keys, which probably takes longer than just hitting ctrl/cmd+f.
    But to use that one, you have to move your fingers from the home keys, which probably takes longer than just hitting ctrl/cmd+f.
    You are preaching to the choir here I also use CTRL+F, my pinky is always hovering the CTRL key anyways.
  • I'm just trying to add to the silly discussion.
  • More aggressive Christian awesomeness.
    I love how "The Sunshine State" is printed right under it.
    You're assuming that all of us use the home keys. I have my own system of typing. It looks funny, but it gets the job done and it's pretty fast.
  • edited April 2009
    I never learnt to type properly, so I too have an alternate system, which I can still do something like 80wpm with. However, I intend to fix that as soon as I can find the time, because I know proper touch typing would be better. In particular, that 80wpm I get involves a bit of mistake correction, which could be eliminated.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2009
    Totally off-topic...

Just out of curiosity, how would it be better?

Most people I watch touch-type make more typos than I do. I have a tendency to look at the keyboard so that I know my fingers are hitting the correct keys. That means I make less mistakes and know when I hit the wrong key. Of course, it also means I'm a bit slower at typing if I need to copy something from paper (a rare enough occurrence in the modern world that it's not a big deal) or if it's dark. Of course, computing when it's too dark to see the keyboard strains my eyes and gives me headaches, so I avoid it.

I also like the fact that if one of my fingers is injured or I can't use one of my hands, I can still type relatively quickly. I've gotten pretty good at typing with one hand. I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited April 2009
    First of all, the more fingers you can use at once, the faster you can go. It's simple mathematics.

As for the ability to type without looking at the keyboard, it lets you focus on the output from the screen, which is what's important. Sure, if it's plain text, then maybe the output from that doesn't matter, but you could still see output from other sources.

To clarify: the way I have ended up typing, and I intend to fix it, is that I don't look at the keyboard, but I use less fingers than I ought to.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Show on typing, coming up.
  • First of all, the more fingers you can use at once, the faster you can go. It's simple mathematics.

As for the ability to type without looking at the keyboard, it lets you focus on the output from the screen, which is what's important. Sure, if it's plain text, then maybe the output from that doesn't matter, but you could still see output from other sources.

To clarify: the way I have ended up typing, and I intend to fix it, is that I don't look at the keyboard, but I use less fingers than I ought to.
    I use all of my fingers typing my way. Therefore there would be no mathematical difference. I guess for your way, it would make a difference. If I hit the keys any faster, the computer wouldn't know what order to put the letters in. My writing is limited by the speed at which my brain puts words together into cohesive sentences and not by my typing, so I think that's good enough for me.

I usually position the screen so that I can see both the computer screen and the keyboard. I have pretty good peripheral vision. I can also hit the keys without looking...I just prefer to watch my hands so I know they hit the right key.

I guess it really depends on each individual. Sounds like our personal typing styles differ enough that they can't be equated. Touch-typing is pretty standardized, but even using that method, people still have their own individual differences. I look forward to the typing show and listening to Rym and Scott tell me why the way I do it is wrong. :)
  • I look forward to the typing show and listening to Rym and Scott tell me why the way I do it is wrong.
    Simple. ^_~

1. I can type in total darkness without issue.
    2. I can transcribe via the keyboard text that I am reading as I read it. (Much faster and more accurate than looking back and forth).
    3. I can type incredibly fast (around 120 wpm on average).
    4. I can type quickly with minimal wrist/finger movement, preventing repetitive stress injuries.
  • I look forward to the typing show and listening to Rym and Scott tell me why the way I do it is wrong.
    Simple. ^_~

2. I can transcribe via the keyboard text that I am reading as I read it. (Much faster and more accurate than looking back and forth).
    4. I can type quickly with minimal wrist/finger movement, preventing repetitive stress injuries.
    While I don't listen to the show much anymore, I can think that a show on typing would be a show I definitely wouldn't listen to :-p
    Simple. ^_~

While I don't listen to the show much anymore, I can think that a show on typing would be a show I definitely wouldn't listen to :-p
    Really? I'm really interested in it.
  • I often find the shows about mundane issues to be more entertaining that the shows about specialized or complex issues. Maybe it's just because I don't knwo much about Linux.
    I look forward to the typing show and listening to Rym and Scott tell me why the way I do it is wrong.
    Simple. ^_~

1. I can't look at the lit screen in total darkness without getting a headache, so point is moot.
    2. Already listed that as a down side, but how many times do I really do this nowadays anyway?
    3. Also addressed this; I have to type slowly enough for my brain to keep up and actually formulate real sentences. Also, you have no data on MY typing speed, so this is simply a statement of why your system is good, not why mine is bad. :P
    4. You are assuming I don't also have this benefit with my own typing system. I also have minimal movement of my wrists and a variety of different movements for each finger.

Would probably be a good idea for me to learn to touch type, but I really, really tried to do it in middle school and just couldn't get the hang of it. I made many, many typos and was incredibly slow, even after a whole year of practice. I have always had issues trying to get my pinky and ring fingers to move independently from my other fingers. They are really great at support, but not so much with the autonomous functioning. It makes me wonder if that's just not the way my brain works. Trying to type that way really didn't work for me, so I came up with my own way.
  • edited April 2009
    I learned to type on an IBM XT. I don't know how people learn to type if only new fancy keyboards are available. They're good for typing, but not for learning.

Think about it like this. You don't learn to drive a Ferrari. You learn to drive some junky old sedan. If you learn to type on a modern keyboard on a modern computer, you are doing it wrong. If you want to learn to touch-type, start on one of these babies. The big spaces between the keys and heavy springs make it so that a lot of naturally developed methods and bad habits will not work. There is also a very strong audio and physical feedback on every keypress that psychologically helps a great deal.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • We had a keyboarding class in high school. It really improved my typing speed and accuracy. Unfortunately, I get lazy with IM and end up with typos galore.
  • 3. I can type incredibly fast (around 120 wpm on average).
    I challenge you to Typeracer!
  • 3. I can type incredibly fast (around 120 wpm on average).
    I challenge you to Typeracer!
    And I challenge both of you to Mario Teaches Typing!
    I probably won't win though...