This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Achievement Unlocked

2»

Comments

You sir, are full of fail.
    God, are you two really such shallow morons? Buying liquor is nothing special, nothing amazing, nothing noteworthy and requires zero effort. So you fail. You lose. Good day sir.
  • full of fail.
    Failful? Should that be a new word?

Failful: (fail-ful)
    adj.
    1. Having an unfavorable outcome: a failful heart transplant.
    2. Failing to obtain something desired or intended: was failful in stopping the leak of oil.
    3. Having failed to achieve wealth or eminence: a failful architect.

fail·ful·ly adv.

The lad devoted time and resources to his Pokemon farm and became very failful in his endeavor.
  • God, are you two really such shallow morons? Buying liquor is nothing special, nothing amazing, nothing noteworthy and requires zero effort. So you fail. You lose. Good day sir.
    Go watch Sucken teh Japanen Showen or whatever the fuck you do these days. RAGES.
  • -Have Ryoichi Ikegami draw my portrait.
  • edited May 2009
    Hmm. Some things I wish to accomplish in the next few years:

-Get my own apartment, without housemates (no matter how nice they are)
    -Pay off moving and poverty debts from the past year
    -Furnish said apartment in a manner befitting a social, geeky abode
    -Learn to cook various curries and other foods
    -Get a second job / work on a fun project / go back to school
    -Meet an interesting, intelligent, beautiful woman and start a lasting, healthy relationship with her. (I've got a date tonight!)
    -Invest in fine clothes and fine food
    -Ship my library and musical instruments out to California from NY.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • -Own a building. Optimally a large art-deco one.
  • Oh, yeah, you want to own the Chrysler Building, I remember.
  • Oh, yeah, you want to own the Chrysler Building, I remember.
    That would be great, but I wouldn't be unhappy with a different building. There are plenty of awesome buildings that are relatively small. NY is full of small buildings with retail on the bottom and a few apartments on top, but still have the awesome old facades from the original owners.
  • edited May 2009
    Oh, yeah, you want to own the Chrysler Building, I remember.
    That would be great, but I wouldn't be unhappy with a different building. There are plenty of awesome buildings that are relatively small. NY is full of small buildings with retail on the bottom and a few apartments on top, but still have the awesome old facades from the original owners.
    This was one of the most obvious aspects of New York that was different from LA I saw when I was there. It seems like you guys on the east coast are all about preserving your architecture. When a building gets old, you renovate the inside and it's structural components but keep it looking pretty much the way it was originally. What happens when a building gets old in LA? Knock it down, build a new one.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2009
    This was one of the most obvious aspects of New York that was different from LA I saw when I was there. It seems like you guys on the east coast are all about preserving your architecture. When a building gets old, you renovate the inside and it's structural components but keep it looking pretty much the way it was originally. What happens when a building gets old in LA? Knock it down, build a new one.
    That's because New York is 150 years older than LA. Our old stuff is historic. Your old stuff is merely obsolete.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That's because New York is 150 years older than LA. Our old stuff is historic. Your old stuff is merely obsolete.
    Do-ho-ho-ho-ho. Oh Grand Scott, you are so funny..
  • edited June 2009
    I'm going to teach myself to escape from handcuffs soon (buying a gimmicked pair with part of my first paycheck). Then, I want to escalate the act further. Forearm cuffs, leg chains, the whole nine yards. I have this sudden huge interest in escapology. I honestly can't explain it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm going to teach myself to escape from handcuffs soon (buying a gimmicked pair with part of my first paycheck). Then, I want to escalate the act further. Forearm cuffs, leg chains, the whole nine yards. I have this sudden huge interest in escapology. I honestly can't explain it.
    Get a pair of decent ones. It'll be either the same price or slightly cheaper, and you're learning an interesting skill, rather than a gimmick or a trick.
  • Get a pair of decent ones. It'll be either the same price or slightly cheaper, and you're learning an interesting skill, rather than a gimmick or a trick.
    So like, actual S&W; 100s, and not break-aways?
  • edited June 2009
    Get a pair of decent ones. It'll be either the same price or slightly cheaper, and you're learning an interesting skill, rather than a gimmick or a trick.
    So like, actual S&W; 100s, and not break-aways?
    Pretty much, yeah. Essentially, Real handcuffs. They generally have very simple locks (even the Saf-lock Designs, though you need actual picks for those, and it's rather harder to do behind your back) and are easy to learn, with practice.

Edit - Practice with them in front of you till you get the hang of it, obviously. Also, practice getting your shackled hands around to the front of you, or develop the flexibility to at least get your hands to the side of you. Make your own picks and shims, too, if you can, except if you're practicing on saf-loks.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I've decided to go with some Hiatts. I'm making some shims and picks with brickstrap and a dremel (my neighbors are remodeling, so I keep scoring free spring-steel). Any advice as to where to get pick and wrench designs, and what picks to start with?
  • edited June 2009
    If you can hit me up with pictures of the cuffs, I'll whip you up some designs - It's pretty easy to do if they're post-style keys, but I'd prefer to be able to clap eyes on them before I start running my mouth.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2009
    S&W 100s.

Also, any tips on getting started in locksport would be greatly appreciated.
  • Bump because I finally have the money for picks and handcuffs but I need advice.
  • This should make a good enough start for handcuffs.

As for getting started in locksports, just grab yourself a cheap kit, a book or two on the topic of picking locks, a few different locks, and get picking! It's not something you can learn from reading so much, it's very much a tactile skill - I thought otherwise when I started, and I was really, really wrong - it would take me a good five to ten minutes to open a really basic padlock from my local hardware store. Seriously, it's all practice, and practice is fun to boot. Just don't forget the golden rule - listen to the feedback your fingers are giving you.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for the input; I'll probably order all my stuff in a few days.

EDIT: Oh mans, I wish I had heard of Scam School earlier. Crappy theme song, GREAT tricks for college.
  • Thanks for the input; I'll probably order all my stuff in a few days.
    No worries, search around a bit, you might be able to find some gear that's more to your liking. Also, search around in your are, it would propably be helpful if you could find some locksport groups to help you out with things.
  • edited November 2011
    So, I kept a notebook of my goals for a little while, and then it mysteriously vanished. Just found it in a drawer at my office... no clue how it ended up there. Here are a few highlights that I completely forgot about:

-Be mentioned in a wikipedia article
    -"Successfully" matchmake two friends (Done!)
    -Make a youtube video that gets +25,000 views (what can I say, I'm more realistic than someponies...)
    -Take Improv Classes (Planning on doing that this summer!)
    -Have a surprise party
    -Shut off the internet for a month (Wow, past Socha, I don't think that's possible anymore)
    -Surprise someone in my will
    -Start a scholarship
    -Be one of those atheists who has read the bible

How's everyone else doing with their goals?
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Most of my goals can be combined into a simple "become noteworthy" goal, but I'll elaborate on my long-term goals.

- Find a life partner (may very well have already done this, time will tell)
    - Start a profitable game development company
    - Write and publish a book that sells 100,000 copies
    - Own and run a cocktail bar
    - Be a part of a band that has a respectable following (working on this)
    - Write and produce an entire music album by myself
    - Get to a point where I no longer have to worry about money
    - Visit Japan, Australia, and most of Europe
    - Be talked about (or even better, be a guest) on a highly regarded podcast