This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dish Network Disconnect Fee?

edited April 2009 in Everything Else
My mom signed a contract with Dish Network for out home two months ago that I did not know about. Now we have to cancel it for various reasons, but they say that it will cost $12.75 per remaining month on the contract to disconnect, which comes out to $280.50.

Now, my question is, is it actually legal for them to do this in a contract, is there any action that I can take against them, etc.? Also, they told me that it had to be charged in 72 hours and cannot be billed to be payed over time, how is that right?

Comments

• I'd say it depends on what is in the contract, but I am assuming it is legal. After all, you've got 2 year contracts on phones when you get a "free" phone. You cancel the contract, you have to pay a penalty fee.
  • edited April 2009
    It's legal, provided it was in the contract. Depending on where you live, you could probably take them to court over it, but your chances of winning would be slim (there is a small bit of legal precedent for termination fees' illegality in California, but Dish'd probably bring out a team of corporate lawyers to stop you), and the cost would be high. Your best odds in court are in states where there are unfair corporate practice laws in place.
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • It's right and legal. Read contracts before you sign them. You've only got three choices. Pay, cancel, or have collections come after you. Welcome to the real world.
  • edited April 2009
    It's right and legal. Read contracts before you sign them. You've only got three choices. Pay, cancel, or have collections come after you. Welcome to the real world.
    My mom signed a contract with Dish Network for our home two months ago that I did not know about.
    Alright, I just wanted to make sure before we payed without having to.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on