This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeoCities is shutting down.

2»

Comments

• NeoPets is one of those fads that I fortunately managed to avoid, along with custom emotes in MSN chat and having a GeoCities page.
    You probably used MIRC to chat, EWW.
  • edited May 2009
    Aww yeah, my pets are still alive!! That hotel loop hack thing worked, and my cash mountain kept it going!
    Good riddance to bad fansites, now if only angelfire would go the same way
    Well there were some really cool indie RPG's on that. I'd hate to have them vanish into the mists of the internets. Like there was one called Zabetsu or something like that, that was way cool in a Burning Wheel, except before Burning Wheel, way. All six sided dice and such. Just wish I could find it again, in all it's Cyberpunk awesomeness

Not like I ever will *sigh*
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • NeoPets is one of those fads that I fortunately managed to avoid, along with custom emotes in MSN chat and having a GeoCities page.
    You probably used MIRC to chat, EWW.
    XChat, bitch.
  • I'm sure you all saw XKCD today.

To those too young to remember, this is exactly what the Internet looked like in the '90s in America. It is also, scarily, what much of the Internet outside of the US still looks like. ^_~
  • I'm sure you all sawXKCDtoday.

To those too young to remember, this isexactlywhat the Internet looked like in the '90s in America. It is also, scarily, what much of the Internet outside of the US still looks like. ^_~
    It needs more fire and spinning skulls.
  • edited October 2009
    It needs more fire and spinning skulls.
    Everything needs more fire and spinning skulls, it shall please Ormagöden.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • It needs more fire and spinning skulls.
    flame.gif is sadly missing.
  • edited October 2009
    To those too young to remember, this isexactlywhat the Internet looked like in the '90s in America. It is also, scarily, what much of the Internet outside of the US still looks like. ^_~
    I showed the site to my little brother. His exact words were "Wait, seriously? Just like that? Oh my GOD... It's horrible!"
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Don't forget the background images that are hosted by angelfire that the website creator takes down so the background just says "hosted by angelfire".
  • edited October 2009
    Ah, "Under Construction" and "Guestbook." Hello again, old friends.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    Read the source code for bonus lols.
  • Read the source code for bonus lols.
    Well thank you for making me break my brain. I'm actually kind of surprised that such horribly formed HTML can even render at all these days. I don't miss those days at all.
  • Ah Geocities, it helped make my first (and to date only) webpage. I remember wanting to get those web site phonebooks but my mom said no, because they were pretty expensive.
    Read the source code for bonus lols.
    That actually hurt my eyes.
  • edited October 2009
    Where's the MIDI song in the background?
    Post edited by Viga on
    Nope, rss reader. Today being Monday, not Tuesday which it is now.
    It is also, scarily, what much of the Internet outside of the US still looks like. ^_~
    The western, english internet using, countries you mean.
    I'm actually kind of surprised that such horribly formed HTML can even render at all these days.
    You do realize that HTML parsers don't care at all about fucking formatting, right? The basics are just correct, sure, used in a way no longer commonly suggested, but still. The rest of the useless crap just gets dropped. Tables, it just works, always has, always will. Thank FSM for better support these days.
  • Oh mans, I just went back to my geocities account to save any possible image files I have on there for old webpages I made. Some of them have me laughing so hard from embarrassment.
    Nope, rss reader. Today being Monday, not Tuesday which it is now.

It is also, scarily, what much of the Internet outside of the US still looks like. ^_~
    The western, english internet using, countries you mean.
    I'm actually kind of surprised that such horribly formed HTML can even render at all these days.
    You do realize that HTML parsers don't care at all about fucking formatting, right? The basics are just correct, sure, used in a way no longer commonly suggested, but still. The rest of the useless crap just gets dropped. Tables, it just works, always has, always will. Thank FSM for better support these days.Is there an explanation to the highlighted words in Nine's replies to other posts? Bored much Nine?
  • edited October 2009
    Is there an explanation to the highlighted words in Nine's replies to other posts? Bored much Nine?
    People got upset about misquotes, so Nine has decided that males will be quotes as Penis and females as Vagina to avoid such a thing from happening in the most mocking way possible. Or, at least, this is what I'm assuming.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Is there an explanation to the highlighted words in Nine's replies to other posts? Bored much Nine?
    I think the joke is pretty obvious...
  • edited October 2009
    I went to show my sister and it was GONE! Did anyone, perchance, save the xkcd page?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I actually more sad GeoCities became the cesspool of bad design more then the fact it's finally closing. It's probably a mercy killing to take it offline at this point.
  • edited October 2009
    I went to show my sister and it was GONE! Did anyone, perchance, save the xkcd page?
    I have screenshots of the page I just have to upload them to the internet. I have found a still up geocities website it even has a midi on the main page.

edit: I'm going to try and combine them into just one picture and when I do I'll take these down and put the new one in their place.
    geocities,shutting down,geocities shutting down
    I don't suppose you also have a shot of the source code? I saw the site yesterday, but I didn't think to look at the code.
    no I don't have the Source code I was in a rush when I was getting the screenshots.
    Post edited by usrName on
  • I don't suppose you also have a shot of the source code? I saw the site yesterday, but I didn't think to look at the code.
  • Or we could stop posting screenshots and just link to a mirror I found on the XKCD forum.
  • That would be a good idea now, wouldn't it?
  • Let it die in a fire. We had to make a Geocities page in my Computer Utilization class in High School. Our teacher just wanted to keep adding tons of random ugly crap. I got rid of mine as soon as the class was finished.
    Ugh, my artistic sensibilities are still reeling.