This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How to Not Suck at Restaurants

1235»

Comments

• edited May 2009
    The standard in Britain is 10%. So when you Americans come over here and tip 20%, that's why you guys are really popular with the staff. Although you are still abit backward with your swiping of the cards and not having a clue what chip and pin is.
    Seeing as how the Chip and Pin system is exclusively used in the UK, of course Americans don't use it. It is a good idea, though.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Professional: one engaged in a profession or engaging in as a profession or means of livelihood
    Profession: an occupation requiring special education
    Yes, but if said "profession"'s education is merely a x minute/hour video or demonstration on how to do something properly, and any yahoo off the street can do it, then does it really mean anything? Sure, we had to go through training at my store to learn proper bagging techniques, and of course how to run the registers...but anyone can do it. It's nothing special.
    people give you good service BECAUSE IT IS WHAT YOU DO, rather than expecting a reward.
    Exactly. Good service is, again, in the job description.
    Indulge me in this hypothesis I have. How much do your parents make?
    I don't know exact numbers. My mom currently doesn't work but she was in the restaurant industry for at least 30 years, if not more. My dad makes good money, though. Both of them always tip 18% as standard, then slide around from there. So no, I don't come from a family of stingy non-tippers, if that's the point you were trying to get at.
  • So no, I don't come from a family of stingy non-tippers, if that's the point you were trying to get at.
    The point I was trying to get at is that it's hard for me to imagine anyone who didn't have a privileged childhood holding those views.
  • The standard in Britain is 10%. So when you Americans come over here and tip 20%, that's why you guys are really popular with the staff. Although you are still abit backward with your swiping of the cards and not having a clue what chip and pin is.
    Omnutia will know better than me about this, but as far as I know, you don't really tip here. I've certainly never tipped over here, and nobody so much as blinks.
  • Seeing as how the Chip and Pin system is exclusively used in the UK
    *cough* Not exclusive to the UK.
  • The standard in Britain is 10%. So when you Americans come over here and tip 20%, that's why you guys are really popular with the staff. Although you are still abit backward with your swiping of the cards and not having a clue what chip and pin is.
    Omnutia will know better than me about this, but as far as I know, you don't really tip here. I've certainly never tipped over here, and nobody so much as blinks.
    It really depends on what type of place you are eating in. It it's a pub or cafe then no tip, if it's a restaurant though, then you tip. Generally if you are served by the same person throughout and never have to leave your seat to get a drink/order food, you tip.
  • The point I was trying to get at is that it's hard for me to imagine anyone who didn't have a privileged childhood holding those views.
    I suppose, but people with less money typically go out to eat less often (though the converse isn't always true) and also have less money to tip with...
  • Seeing as how the Chip and Pin system is exclusively used in the UK
    *cough* Not exclusive to the UK.
    Sorry, got the information from Wikipedia that stated it was a UK thing.
  • I suppose, but people with less money typically go out to eat less often (though the converse isn't always true) and also have less money to tip with...
    As a person with less money, raised by a person with even less money, I was taught to, and have always tipped well. I understand that servers are counting on your tips to make their rent. If you can't afford the tip, you can't afford the meal.