This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geeking out in (your place here)

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
So how about we talk about all the cool places to geek out in you town or city.

D.C. had much geekery close or downsized in the last few years. One of my favorites places are Big Planet Comics in Georgetown. They have the best indie selection I have ever encountered and have only quality manga. You won't really find an endless shelf of mediocre shojo and shonen. Politics and Prose is great with the indie titles and Vertical stuff, but I mostly shop there for books. Lastly there's Fantom which is good on titles and always have sales. I usually find customers and shopkeepers ALWAYS going on about some underwear pervert.

DC Anime club is around and they have events, but it's of questionable quality. I haven't been a member in years.

Everything else I can think of that's fun is either not so geeky or in NoVa and MD that metro accessible. Like Katsucon, Anime USA or Magfest. Or cool groups like the NoVa Lolitas. (Fashion of course! :P)

Comments

• DC Anime club is around and they have events, but it's of questionable quality. I haven't been a member in years.
    Yea, the Head of DC anime club is a kinda strange dude.
  • DC Anime club is around and they have events, but it's of questionable quality. I haven't been a member in years.
    Yea, the Head of DC anime club is a kinda strange dude.
    Understatement. How do you know him by the way? O_o?
  • Understatement. How do you know him by the way? O_o?
    He likes to steal anime club summits from me at conventions back in the day ^_^
  • My anime club president is a pedophile. And crazy creepy. It's true.

My japanese class is geeking out this thursday night by going to karaoke after the final.
    Overthrow him!
    anime club summits
    Whenever I read this I think of a dark room filled with smelly nerds watching the latest episode of Magical Boob Nurse Doll 2: Loli Trouble, followed by an image of the summit of Mount Everest. I'm treasuring this hilarious image.

Viga, I see this thread as one for you to just gloat. You're evil! The closest thing one could Geek out at is if you are a geek of ships etc. We have one such museum. Other than that, nothing. Book store still has 3 manga, Shaman King, WITCH and a third shitty one. Remembering too much crap is hazardous for my health you know.
    Call the cops and report him.

The Troy Public Library use to do an anime/game night before the girl who ran it got fired. -_-

Their is a cosplay group the meets up in Albany. Not my gig but the people who do it are alright. The idea of cosplay bowling is pretty cool.

I've considered trying to advise either the SUNY Albany or RPI anime club.
    Call the cops and report him.
    Someone has to break a law before you can call the cops on them.
  • edited May 2009
    Someone has to break a law before you can call the cops on them.
    Word. Nothing illegal about just BEING a pedophile. I truly feel sorry for those people. It's when you start messing with kids that it becomes a real problem. And anyway...
    My anime club president is a pedophile.
    How so? For real? Or in the colloquial, high-school-student-dating-a-junior-high-student way?

Anyway, as for my town and its geekiness: I live in the vicinity of Los Angeles, which has great comic shops and a Kinokuniya, but far enough away that it's not reasonable to go often. In my local area, we have one comic shop, and it's a total Android's Dungeon.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I have yet to discover all the geekeries New York has to offer, but I do love the Compleat Strategist game store near the Empire State Building and both comic books shops near my dorm (Forbidden Planet and a small place on St. Mark's). Being a part of the NYU Games Club also helps tremendously. Next year, I'm hoping to utilize a little NerdNYC.com to find a Burning Wheel game and other cool geekeries.

As for home, I like to consider myself my grade's social nerd. I was the one to set up our town-wide Brawl tournament and should be DMing a Dungeons and Dragons game for some new role players this summer. We've also got a pretty nice comic book shop one town over and a very friendly group of Magic players who frequent the library.
    Overall, Clark, NJ is actually a really happening geeky town. We even had a Pokemon renaissance my sophomore year of high school.
  • Unfortunately this part of rural North Carolina is a veritable black hole of interesting geekery.
  • Here in northern Michigan there isn't really much geeky. In a nearby town there is a small anime rental store that's about the size of my bathroom, and a comic book store a few blocks down. Neither place really gets much of my business because I have netflix, and I don't buy many non-trade comics. The only reason I really go to the anime store is because he sells used games and stuff like that.
  • Geekeries in the San Francisco Bay Area abound! In Berkeley there is the fantastic Games of Berkeley, as well as another comic shop down telegraph (technically northern oakland-temescal, but the No. 1 bus goes there). In Oakland proper (12th st, technically 4 BART stops away from Berkeley Centre) there is an amazing comic/games store.

There are numerous comic/anime shops, and a bunch of cool cultural stuff (Japan Town, Little Koreatown, etc). There are meetups of various geeky groups, and the general level of geekiness is so high that you have NORMAL, un-"geeky" people playing Carcasonne and Settlers of Catan in the coffee shops.
  • edited May 2009
    Kinokuniya
    Honestly is it really that good? I was just at Acen and the prices were shit, and I found many of the same books they were offering (like a Tekkonkinkreet art book for 55 fucking dollars) at other vendors for up to half as much as Kinokuniya wanted. I was vastly unimpressed with them.

As for the Cleveland area, at Strongsville/Southpark mall there is a tabletop gaming store called Recess. There are various comic shops and classic gaming shops around (one just got shut down, though). There's also an arcade in Macedonia called Fun n Stuff which is home to gaming nerds from around the area. It's a cool geeky hangout.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Honestly is it really that good? I was just at Acen and the prices were shit, and I found many of the same books they were offering (like a Tekkonkinkreet art book for 55 fucking dollars) at other vendors for up to half as much as Kinokuniya wanted. I was vastly unimpressed with them.
    I'm sure a lot of the stuff is very expensive. They sure have a lot of it, though! Also, change "Kinokuniya" to "Japantown" in general, because I kinda forgot about that. There are a lot of little geeky Japanese shops down there, with tons of manga and toys and whatnot.
  • So there's been a board gaming group I joined earlier this year and it just had it's 4th b-day. Why, oh why didn't I find it sooner! There's a LGBT gaming group and a Scrabble group now too. Add in the fact that there's Labyrinth Games in Eastern Market and SynDCon (not sure if it's on in 2012), MAGfest being moved closer and Intervention on it's second year, DC geekery is getting higher!
  • edited September 2011
    A few months ago, I was a founding member of a board gaming group here in SoCal! I've been an attendee pretty much every week since it started.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I got an email from Meetup saying there was a new LGBT gaming group starting in my area. Isn't it hard enough to get a quality group of gamers together? Why put additional stipulations on it? (no issue with the LGBT crowd, just want to see more successful gaming groups).