This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games you think are good but it seems no one agrees

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
Legend of Legaia.

Every time I hear this game mentioned, its just negative. However I just loved it, the story, the combat system, trying to find a way to press more than one combo into one bar by what would overlap. I rarely hear a kind word about it whenever its brought up in a podcast or anywhere else.

Comments

• Team Fortress 2 (yes, I am somewhat sarcastic here)
  • Dynasty Warriors 3
    Yes, the series became the Army Men of this generation (anybody remember that series?), but the third game was a perfect beat 'em up. There were plenty of unlockables, campy dialogue, and some fantastic co-op play. I was hooked when it came out, and I will still go back to the game occasionally, regardless of the flack I get for "supporting" the series (as if me playing a game I bought five years ago gives Koei more money).
  • Assassin's Creed: I really enjoyed this game (it was probably my favorite game of 2008), but yet nobody seems to enjoy it without qualifying it heavily. It's as if they're ashamed they liked it, or something.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: The first PC game I really got into, the first FPS I played, and the first WW2 game I played. I have fond memories of trading off places at the controls with my father one day when I was sick from school, of obliterating the Nazi scourge, and of my squad dying in every mission. However, it seems to have fallen by the wayside after the release of Call of Duty. A real shame, and a game well worth playing... it's hands down the best old-style WW2 shooter around.
  • Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: The first PC game I really got into, the first FPS I played, and the first WW2 game I played. I have fond memories of trading off places at the controls with my father one day when I was sick from school, of obliterating the Nazi scourge, and of my squad dying in every mission. However, it seems to have fallen by the wayside after the release of Call of Duty. A real shame, and a game well worth playing... it's hands down the best old-style WW2 shooter around.
    Almost my entire class loved MoH:AA. We played it endlessly during LAN parties, mostly V2 Rocket Facility and Omaha Beach.
  • The Stalker Series

I really don't know why
  • Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft
  • Pretty much any game I play. :(
  • Breed - Everyone thought it sucked, it got terrible reviews as far as I've seen, but I thought it was awesome.
  • I liked Children of Mana. One of the few games I've actually finished. All of my friends want sophisticated, meaningful games, so they constantly dis CoM. It was perfect for my gaming style, though...I didn't have to remember a bajillion complicated details to figure out what to do next.
  • edited May 2009
    Guitar Hero, since it's "not a real guitar." May as well be Inverted Piano Hero.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter.

I won't claim it was good by any objective measure, but I enjoyed the hell out of that game.
  • Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter.

I won't claim it wasgoodby any objective measure, but I enjoyed the hell out of that game.
    That's the one where if you die, you start over at the beginning again, but with all your levels right?
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

I put in 100 hours into it...and everyone seemed to hate it.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

I put in 100 hours into it...and everyone seemed to hate it.
    What? I loved that game. I hated A2.
  • That's the one where if you die, you start over at the beginning again, but with all your levels right?
    Yes, but you could also restart from the last save point (which were fairly far apart, though there was a quick save feature apart from that).

The save system in that game was weird; I think it was meant to make you really care about not dying and planning ahead, but if you weren't willing to play along and forgo things like save-and-load-before-each-boss, it was very awkward.

The timer was the most interesting mechanic in it, though - it counted up with every step/action you took in the game, and if it hit 100% the game was over. You could turn into dragon form and blow through even the boss fights, but doing so accelerated the timer ridiculously (and of course the later bosses just about require you to do so for at least short bursts). The tension of managing that was what made the game cool.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics A2.
  • edited May 2009
    I found I Wanna Be The Guy entertaining - the whole thing!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2009
    I foundI Wanna Be The Guyentertaining - the whole thing!
    Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with being a masochist.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Legend of Dragoon
  • Legend of Dragoon
    I know a girl that likes that game but then again she does not like Hokuto No Ken :S
  • Most people I talk to seem to dislike World of Goo. It's legitimately fun regardless of plot.
  • I foundI Wanna Be The Guyentertaining - the whole thing!
    Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with being a masochist.
    Indeed.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2009
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    I really enjoyed these games until I realized that there was zero difficulty curve. The game never progressed beyond supremely basic strategy and had no tactical elements whatsoever. Cute, stylish, good music, and fun for a while, but engaging games they are not.
    Guitar Hero
    This only actually seems to be fun on the easier difficulties in social situations. Beyond that, the investment/reward ratio was way too low. At least DDR is also exercise.
    Team Fortress 2 (yes, I am somewhat sarcastic here)
    Sarcasm aside, I knew this game was bad from the start, but it wasn't until I started playing Quake 3 again that I realized just how bad it truly was. Achievements ruined this game like kernels of corn ruin a good piece of poop.

I'll have to put Quake 1, 2, 3 up as my nominations (Aerobiz and Gemfire aside). Most people can't seem to handle them.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Final Fantasy Tactics A2.
    Seconded.
  • Dwarf Fortress. None of my friends seem to like it.
  • Dynasty Warriors 3
    Yes, the series became the Army Men of this generation (anybody remember that series?), but the third game was a perfect beat 'em up. There were plenty of unlockables, campy dialogue, and some fantastic co-op play. I was hooked when it came out, and I will still go back to the game occasionally, regardless of the flack I get for "supporting" the series (as if me playing a game I bought five years ago gives Koei more money).
    Good times. If only they'd fix the draw distance.
  • I enjoyed Oblivion far more than anyone else I know.
  • edited May 2009
    I enjoyed Oblivion far more than anyone else I know.
    Probably not more than my girlfriend...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • DOA Beach Volleyball.