This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nervous Habits

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
Everyone has their own set of nervous habits. In my case, a lot of them occur when I'm in front of a computer. These include
  • Continually scrolling my MX Revolution's free scroll wheel.
  • Randomly middle clicking on blank places
  • Middle clicking and scrolling in Firefox with the auto scroll
  • Playing with the arrow keys
The habits involving the middle click button/scroll wheel always causes random links to open, a document I'm reading to scroll way down, etc. but I just can't seem to stop.

What nervous habits do you have?

Comments

• Fixing my glasses. I do that every now and then, even if I'm not nervous nor wearing glasses.
  • edited May 2009
    I like to crack the joints of my fingers, and not just cracking the knuckles. You can crack any individual joint by bending them forwards, but towards either side using the other hand. Pulling them out also works. I also often crack the joint of my big toes by putting them behind the toe next to them and trying to bend the big toe forward until it slides past the toe and snaps forward.

Weirdly enough, every woman which has by accident observed me doing this has immediately begged me to stop since apparently many women hate the sound it produces. For that reason I try to not do this stuff around women.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I can crack my knuckles without the other hand.
  • I like to crack the joints of my fingers, and not just cracking the knuckles. You can crack any individual joint by bending them forwards, but towards either side using the other hand. Pulling them out also works. I also often crack the joint of my big toes by putting them behind the toe next to them and trying to bend the big toe forward until it slides past the toe and snaps forward.
    My hand automatically crack if I make a fist. Very odd..
  • Checking for my wallet, keys or anything of importance for a certain thing I have to do.
    I like to crack the joints of my fingers, and not just cracking the knuckles. You can crack any individual joint by bending them forwards, but towards either side using the other hand. Pulling them out also works. I also often crack the joint of my big toes by putting them behind the toe next to them and trying to bend the big toe forward until it slides past the toe and snaps forward.

Weirdly enough, every woman which has by accident observed me doing this has immediately begged me to stop since apparently many women hate the sound it produces. For that reason I try to not do this stuff around women.
    I hate that sound! I thought I was the only one.
  • I hate that sound! I thought I was the only one.
    I can stand it, either. Even when my own joints crack, I dislike the sound.
  • I bite my nails and chew on the insides of my cheeks. My nervous habits seem to bring out the worst in my oral fixation. If everlasting gobstoppers were real (really everlasting, not the crap jawbreaker things), then I would probably always have one in my mouth.

I also hate the sound of cracking knuckles. I used to crack my own knuckles until I started having horrible joint pain. Doc said quit doing that, it's bad for your joints. I stopped and the pain went away. Now the sound drives me crazy.
  • chew on the insides of my cheeks
    I do that too and consequently I have bumps on the insides of my cheeks...
  • chew on the insides of my cheeks
    I do that too and consequently I have bumps on the insides of my cheeks...
    I do it involuntarily, usually while sleeping.
  • edited May 2009
    Checking for my wallet, keys or anything of importance for a certain thing I have to do.
    I do that. I also have a habit of double checking or sometimes triple checking on tasks to make sure I did something. Even though I know fully well I did the thing and acknowledge I did the thing on the first check. I still to my dismay absentmindedly forget shit anyways.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
    • I chew my nails continuously. Sometimes I become aware of it when I bite my thumbnails, since I don't want to look like I'm sucking my thumb.

• I chew my lips all the time, especially any dried skin.

• I become fixated on certain bumps on my skin like pimples and I just keep rubbing or touching them.

• I used to pop my retainer off and on although I only wear them during the night now.

• I take my iPhone out randomly.
    There's probably more....
  • edited May 2009
    Are you sure it's just women? It seems to bother my father as well. I make my neck go crick and it freaks people out.

I have a lot of weird habits. I like to line things up on my desk in straight lines and stuff like that. I also rub my chin or eyebrow when I am thinking.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • - Grinding my teeth
    - picking at my nails...never biting at them
  • I bite my nails and lips when stressed, and I clean my glasses habitually.
  • I knew a kid once who would tug on his ear until it turned bright red when he was nervous. I'm glad I don't have that problem. I grind my teeth and bite the inside of my cheeks.
  • Another nail biter here. It was worse when I was younger. I would bite my toenails when I ran out of fingernails back then, now I just can't reach anymore... but every once in a while, I have a strange feeling in my right big toe.
  • Nail biting is my biggest pet peeve. Every time I see or hear someone munching on their nails, I want my fist to magically appear in their face.
  • I drum out beats with my hands, and if I don't use my hands I use my teeth. If I tap right bottom canine against the inner right side of the first premolar it works as a bass hit, and the left side works as a snare. My back molars can are also used as toms from time to time.
  • edited May 2009
    I pick my nails, suck on the back of my left hand, crack joints, twist my right hand around, tap beats with my feet or my teeth, twirl my hair, or just constantly look around.
    EDIT: I also develop a massive twitch when I get cold.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • My nervous habits seem to bring out the worst in my oral fixation.
    You know what Freud would say about that.
  • I grind my teeth and crack my knuckles. After what Nuri said, I'm gonna try to stop. My biggest "nervous habit" is that when I'm on the web, I'll frequently be highlighting random chunks of text, alternating left and right, at a rate of about twice per second. People always think it's really weird when they notice. Now that I'm all conscious of it right now, I've caught myself doing it three times as I read this thread.
  • I tend to play with my braces, pick my nails, twist my hair, or crack my knuckles.
    I like the sound my knuckles make when they crack.
  • I crack my knuckles and run my hands through my hair a lot.
  • edited May 2009
    I tug on and twist my right ear. There is also the knuckle-cracking. Also, I chew on my lower lip.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Also, I chew on my lower lip.
    I used to have a lip ring, and I got in the habit of gnawing on it. After I took it out, I still chewed on my lower lip for a year or two.
  • edited May 2009
    I bite my nails
    Me too, to the quick. I can force myself to stop, but only for a bit. Eventually it gets to be too much and I start up again, especially during movies, when I tend to gnaw away when popcorn is not available.
    Fixing my glasses. I do that every now and then, even if I'm not nervous nor wearing glasses.
    This as well.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2009
    Not really "nervous" habits, but my physical and verbal habits (at least the ones I notice) are:
    • Touching my neck and clavicle while listening (to others or to programs). If I have a necklace, my hand will rest on/run my hand over it.
    • Clicking pens or lightly chewing pens.
    • Saying "You know what I mean?" or "Does that make sense?"
    • Slipping into my Southern accent when I have to talk to strangers (I hate this because it seems affected, but is really unconsciously done).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited May 2009
    I always keep my hand in the wasd configuration. Not just because I play games, but as a quick way to close most windows to stop my teachers/parents from seeing what I'm doing.

Edit: I came back to this tab and reread what I just said. Yup, my hands were in the wasd configuration.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • I always keep my hand in the wasd configuration.
    While browsing the web (and not typing) I keep my hands in FPS mode as well, as I have easy access to control, shift, and tab as well as the ability to click links.
    [...]but as a quick way to close most windows to stop my teachers/parents from seeing what I'm doing.
    Slacking off or whacking off?
  • My nervous habits seem to bring out the worst in my oral fixation.
    You know what Freud would say about that.
    Oh believe me, I've heard it before. The words "oral fixation" seem to translate directly to "giving head" in most men's minds.