This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geeknights blog?

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
I've been thinking about this for quite a while. Many of us have blogs, and quite interesting ones. I think I can say without Narcissism that we're a pretty fucking smart and insightful bunch, too.

But one thing I don't like about my own blog is that one person writing doesn't get much exposure. And face it, I'm a glory hog. I like when many, many people see what I write. I want to attract more. I don't like throwing my ideas into the black hole of the internet for a few measly folks to see. It occurs to me that more content equals more page views.

So I thought that if we were all writing in one location, we would prosper. Is this something that would interest anyone? If we started, say, a Geeknights blog, would anyone write on a regular (weekly) basis? Just one article a week? I'd be glad to moderate and edit.

And would we have the blessing of Scrym to use their branding in the blog?

Comments

• We'll have to discuss using the branding.

However, here is a simple way to get started. I know that my blog is creative commonsed, and I'm sure others are as well. Someone can setup a WordPress, or something else, that takes the RSS from our individual blogs and combines them into a single blog.

Also, there's still a lot of work to be done on our new web site, which I will maybe have some time for soon. It helps that I have a much better django knowledge now, thanks to my new job. The news section, at least, will probably expand into more full-blogness.
  • Or you can guest blog on a friend's blog who gets more traffic than you.

Don't underestimate the power of commenting on other blogs that allow you to link back to your own blog.

• Don't underestimate the power of commenting on other blogs that allow you to link back to your own blog.
    That would be an incredibly cheap thing to do. Anyone who actually did that should be embarassed.

• Don't underestimate the power of commenting on other blogs that allow you to link back to your own blog.
    That would be an incredibly cheap thing to do. Anyone who actually did that should be embarassed.
    You don't comment with the link in the comment.

Most blogs that use wordpress allow you to specify a name, email and web address when you leave a comment. If your comment is a good one many other readers of that blog will click on your name and go to your site.
  • I'd be on board with this, assuming I was welcome. I don't have an existing blog, but I've attempted many times to find an outlet for writing on a regular basis. I think that if I were able to join on with you and a group of people, it would motivate me to reach my weekly deadline and get in the habit of writing regularly.

Either way, I think you're right on the money with this idea. If forum members were to combine their efforts, I think that the result would be one of the most insightful, consistent, and topically diverse blogs on the internet.
  • Yea, A shared blog idea would be pretty cool, I would consider writing more, since I occasionally want to write about something but don't really do it enough to require and maintain a blog of my own.
  • I've been trying (and failing) to write on a more regular basis, so I would be on board with something like this.
  • Question:
    Wouldn't a shared blog just be the forums, with a tighter focus on the OP?
  • Question:
    Technically yes, but I don't think you would get much of a readership outside of the forum itself.
  • Question:
    Technically yes, but I don't think you would get much of a readership outside of the forum itself.
    I don't think you guys understand the difference between articles and forum posts.
  • Forums allow for better discussion of an article. This is one reason many popular 'blog' style sites are ditching comments and having each article link to a forum post of the article.
  • edited May 2009
    I don't think you guys understand the difference between articles and forum posts.
    From a layout standpoint posting an article on a forum is the same as posting an article on a blog, the comments section is just bigger.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I don't think you guys understand the difference between articles and forum posts.
    From a layout standpoint posting an article on a forum is the same as posting an article on a blog, the comments section is just bigger.
    Format? You think format makes something an article? Try writing style.
  • edited May 2009
    Format? You think format makes something an article? Try writing style.
    Format makes something a blog. I was trying to clarify what I meant by:
    Technically yes...
    If you post and article on a forum it's still an article, you're just posting it somewhere where a specific community is meant to view it (as well as somewhere with a bigger comments section). I guess I wasn't taking Neito's properly, now that I think about it. If only I had terrible grammar; I might have thought about that post a little longer...
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited May 2009
    I'm not trying to rain on anybody parade, but having more contributors on blog is not necessarily going to grab more readership. Still sounds like a pretty fun idea though.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Okay, peeps. Scott has given a green light. Sign up for Wordpress if you haven't already and give me your e-mail addresses. I will add you to the roster at Geeknights Fans and we'll start posting.

Some rules:

1) Everything will be edited for grammar, consistency, and cohesion.
    2) Write at least three paragraphs in every post. Just throwing up a link and saying, "I really like this," is not enough.
    3) Sail has to write something about music.
    4) I will add a byline to your post.
    5) Transformers is better than G.I. Joe, but MASK is better than GoBots. Jayce and the Wheel Warriors and Centurions get to tag-team the Thundercats.
  • 5) Transformers is better than G.I. Joe, but MASK is better than GoBots. Jayce and the Wheel Warriors and Centurions get to tag-team the Thundercats.
    And Voltron is better than all of the above.
  • 5) Transformers is better than G.I. Joe, but MASK is better than GoBots. Jayce and the Wheel Warriors and Centurions get to tag-team the Thundercats.
    And Voltron is better than all of the above.
    I think Superion might be able to give Voltron a mortal wound.
  • Sail has to write something about music.
    Wow, I'm really glad you said this because I started writing it earlier today. I didn't realize I was so predictable.
  • I'm so into this idea. Jason, I've sent you an email - hook me up, bro. I have words to say.
  • I'm grooving on it, but I'll have a think about it and maybe write a piece before I decide if I want to contribute or not.
  • Sounds like minty fresh awesome, mind if I use it to grow interest for my comic review blog project?
  • Those who have given an e-mail have been added. Those who wish to be added may provide an e-mail. Those who wish to promote a comic review blog may do so.
  • @Omnutia and Cremlian: You have to sign up to use Wordpress.com before I can add you with your e-mails.
  • Jason, it seems WordPress is being lame about the RSS. It's only posting the summary (first paragraph) in the RSS instead of the entire article. Is there any way you can change that in the settings for those of us who are addicted to Google Reader?
  • Jason, it seems WordPress is being lame about the RSS. It's only posting the summary (first paragraph) in the RSS instead of the entire article. Is there any way you can change that in the settings for those of us who are addicted to Google Reader?
    Yes.
  • edited May 2009
    Wordpress hates video embeds.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Add me again, I changed my account over to my gmail address.
  • Wordpress hates video embeds.
    Use this.
  • Alright, post submitted for your editing pleasure.