This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer Setup for College

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
I was going to get a Macbook for college, but some people pointed out that I could just get a Netbook for taking notes in class and have a desktop in my dorm room.

I'm studying computer science. Will I need CPU/GFX power (I'm not actually much of a hard core gamer) for college work?

Anyone have experience with this kind of stuff?

Comments

• I was going to get a Macbook for college, but some people pointed out that I could just get a Netbook for taking notes in class and have a desktop in my dorm room.
    I was just about to post something about just using paper and a pen for notes in class but then noticed you are doing computer science. Although if it is just straight forward lectures, paper and pen is always the best bet for taking notes at uni.
  • edited May 2009
    1) College == never knowing where you're going to spend the evening (at least if you're doing it right) -> don't buy anything heavy or expensive.

2) Back things the fuck up. Not only to your desktop/usb drive. Use the Colleges network storage if that's not crappy/limited. Get something like JungleDisk, it's cheap.

3) Take notes on paper. Seriously. Course material will be available in electronic form anyways.

4) You won't need CPU power, so spend your money on two big monitors. Screen real estate, when doing actual work on code, is essential.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I haven't taken any notes with paper and pen throughout my entire 12th grade year, but I guess that was possible since I had a tablet PC..

I guess paper and pen will be the best bet for math, physics, and those kinds of stuff but I'm pretty sure I'll want to take notes on my laptop most of the time if I can. Heck this year I even scanned all the printouts my teacher gave me and pasted them into my notes on the tablet.

So I don't need CPU power, so I should just get a portable laptop that I can have with me all the time?
  • edited May 2009
    I was going to get a Macbook for college, but some people pointed out that I could just get a Netbook for taking notes in class and have a desktop in my dorm room.
    I was just about to post something about just using paper and a pen for notes in class but then noticed you are doing computer science. Although if it is just straight forward lectures, paper and pen is always the best bet for taking notes at uni.
    I completely disagree. I type faster and with greater ease than handwriting notes. Also, when I have wi-fi, which a lot of Colleges and Universities have in every classroom now (heck, even the elementary school where Adam teaches has wi-fi in every classroom), I can link to pertinent web pages/video/audio, copy and paste relative text, and look up research information relevant to class discussion. With a mic/webcam on my laptop, I can even record bits and pieces of the class that I may want for later, like visual demonstrations.
    Plus, if it is a crap class, I can work on other homework or entertain myself.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • RymRym
    edited May 2009
    So I don't need CPU power, so I should just get a portable laptop that I can have with me all the time?
    It's been my experience that the people who use laptops in class for taking notes (or "taking notes") often have trouble with their grades. Just pay attention in class, and take occasional pen/paper notes. You should really avoid the laptop if possible. Recording the lecture or anything like that will just leave you in a situation where you tried to do too much with it.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • It's been my experience that the people who use laptops in class for taking notes (or "taking notes") often have trouble with their grades. Just pay attention in class, and take occasional pen/paper notes. You should really avoid the laptop if possible. Recording the lecture or anything like that will just leave you in a situation where you tried to do too much with it.
    I've never seen a laptop used for notes. It's always either IM, WoW, or random web browsing.
  • edited May 2009
    It's been my experience that the people who use laptops in class for taking notes (or "taking notes") often have trouble with their grades. Just pay attention in class, and take occasional pen/paper notes. You should really avoid the laptop if possible.
    I think that has more to do with students focusing more on the laptop than on the class. This is a discipline/focus issue, not a problem with the tool itself. I think the type of class and subject matter makes a big difference, as well.

EDIT: I always keep the laptop slightly to the left or right of me so that I would be facing the front of the class and typing to the side. I take my college studies seriously, they are simply too expensive not to. The laptop is the best tool and I attempt to use it to its fullest potential. If a student is playing on the laptop rather than engaging in the class, then that person is simply wasting money and deserves the crap grades they receive.
  • This is a discipline/focus issue, not a problem with the tool itself. I think the type of class and subject matter makes a big difference, as well.
    While I agree, I have never in my entire life seen someone using a laptop effectively in a classroom. ^_~
  • While I agree, I have never in my entire life seen someone using a laptop effectively in a classroom. ^_~
    I've seen it my entire high school life. More than 80% of all my classmates take all their notes on their laptops provided by the school. Of course the school created this environment, but it seems to work well anyway.
  • More than 80% of all my classmates take all their notes on their laptops provided by the school.
    Do they actually take effective notes, or do they dick around? ;^)
  • edited May 2009
    Do they actually take effective notes, or do they dick around? ;^)
    Er... It really depends on the class but of those 80% I'd say about 40% doodle around while the others take notes. Some do both. At least it works for the other 60% which includes me :)

EDIT: I'm actually currently chatting with my junior friends who are supposed to be in class.
    Post edited by flux on
  • you tried to do too much with it.
    Tell the story again, please!
  • 3) Take notes on paper. Seriously. Course material will be available in electronic form anyways.
    This, I've only ever seen a few people with a laptop during lectures, some of them were called out for not paying attention (while they sat in the back) and one guy used his macbook for note taking. Everyone else used pen and paper for their notes and most of those did better than the laptop users. Now I feel the need to insert the "Think different" motivational poster, but I don't have it on this laptop.

Bottom line, pen + paper > laptop during lectures.
  • Again, these are issues with students, not the tool. If someone needs to hamstring themselves using pen and paper because they can't focus in class if they have a laptop; I would contend that they are too immature for collegiate study (baring true attention deficit issues).
  • If someone needs to hamstring themselves using pen and paper because they can't focus in class if they have a laptop;
    When did I say that the pen and paper users can't focus when having a laptop with them? All I said is that the laptop users failed the courses. What I wanted to point out that a bringing a laptop to a lecture has no benefit over just normal pen and paper.

You appear really down on pen and paper Mrs. MacRoss, "hamstring"? Really? I suspect you just can't take notes if you consider that one has to hamstring themselves to write on paper during a lecture. ;)
  • edited May 2009
    If someone needs to hamstring themselves using pen and paper because they can't focus in class if they have a laptop;
    When did I say that the pen and paper users can't focus when having a laptop with them? All I said is that the laptop users failed the courses. What I wanted to point out that a bringing a laptop to a lecture has no benefit over just normal pen and paper.
    You appear really down on pen and paper Mrs. MacRoss, "hamstring"? Really? I suspect you just can't take notes if you consider that one has to hamstring themselves to write on paper during a lecture. ;)
    Excuse me? I went through my first B.A. with pen and paper and was consistently on the Dean's List. Using a laptop provides me faster, more accurate note taking and immediate access to supplemental materials. From my experience, it is the superior educational tool. The fact that others don't not use it appropriately in the class room does not lessen the tool. Apparently the students you refer to do not have the study skills and maturity to use the tool properly and must resort to simpler, more primitive tools as a crutch as they refuse to control themselves.
  • edited May 2009
    I really agree with Mrs. MacRoss. In addition to allowing me to take faster and, thus, more thorough notes, laptops also allow me to flexibly arrange and rearrange as well as recall my information. While in grad school, there have been several times that I have wanted to look up past notes from my undergraduate experience. By having them in my computer, these notes are easily searchable and always at my disposal.

EDIT: As far as making a decision goes, however, another thing to think about is the frequency that you will be going back and forth from school to campus. If you live close to campus and like your room, then you will likely use your desktop a lot. If there is some reason for you not return to your room frequently, however (time taken traveling back and forth, roommate incompatibility, noise/concentration issues) then you will probably be doing a lot of work around campus. In which case, it could be useful to have a laptop that can perform all the tasks you will need while away from your room.
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • Excuse me?
    ;)
    Just joking. Sorry, I should have caught your mood and not tried.

I still don't think there's a benefit to bringing a laptop during the lecture. Access to supplemental materials isn't really an argument if you ask me, since you have to change your focus to the laptop and those materials to access them, thus taking your focus away from the lecture. Not to mention the fact that said laptop can be stolen, or break, when you bring it to uni. Unless of course you go with your own car, or walk.

As for the laptop users I referred to, sure, they might lack maturity or just aren't interested in the lecture (other discussion, let's not go deeper in there). You, however, cannot say a single thing about the pen and papers users, even though you imply such, again. Just as mature as said laptop users.
  • edited May 2009
    Nineless, people are trying to have an intelligent discussion, there are plenty of other threads you could start a pointless argument in.
    You, however, cannot say a single thing about the pen and papers users, even though you imply such, again. Just as mature as said laptop users.
    That they're probably not paying much attention either? As such, lacking the required maturity?

To conclude: If you can't concentrate with a laptop in front of you, not using pen and paper is a minor problem.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • As a CS student, you'll probably find yourself in a situation where processing power will save you a lot of time (in my case: I wrote a facial recognition system that banked heavily on Single Variable Decomposition, which is not a fast operation.) On top of this, you might find yourself in a position where you get to play around with come of the new NVidia CUDA stuff (or GPU programming in general), so having a good video card is probably a good plan.

Personally, I think there's merit in the idea of the MacBook. This allows you to do the work you need to do, where you want to do it. Sometimes you want to work in the library. Laptop has your back. Need to go to a group meeting? Laptop. The desktop tethers your work environment down, which I have never been a fan of. Though consider getting a dedicated monitor for those longer-than-average code sessions in your dorm room.
  • Don't forget that your CS department will have at least one computer lab if you need to do any real heavy computations.
  • Don't forget that your CS department will have at least one computer lab if you need to do any real heavy computations.
    True, though I could go on and on about how useless RIT's CS department's computer labs were. ;)
  • edited May 2009
    Personally I have a similar problem. I love my desktop and all the options it gives me, but my problem derives from the lack of access I get to it. I'm leaning toward a laptop for the coming school year, a Dell Studio 17, but the size and weight make it a problem. The only problem I have with a net book is the lack of power. Should I go with the real laptop or go with the net book to restrict myself to real work? (I understand that my own maturity is a factor but that's the reason for the restriction in the power of the net book.) Any Suggestions?

EDIT: I also have an issue with the smaller net books, the keyboard is too small for my fingers.
    Post edited by Sir_Xander on
  • edited May 2009
    I say a laptop is still necessary in college. At some point, you will want to study with someone at the library/have a group project with some other people/have a roommate who is ruining your concentration. During these situations, having a portable workspace is essential (and something you can't do with a desktop). I got a Macbook, and I regret that decision somewhat, primarily because I am very restricted, and not really using my computer for anything creative.

Your desktop/laptop idea sounds good (and something I considered), but make sure it is a netbook that you can comfortably use. To make something that tiny, they will often need to squeeze the keyboard or use a tiny trackpad. If you decide to take notes on it in class (something I have no opinion about), you need to make sure it's something you can type on. This counts double for essays.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I'm leaning toward a laptop for the coming school year, a Dell Studio 17, but the size and weight make it a problem.
    I find a lot of the weight problem is what type of bag you are using. Get a quality backpack that is designed to distribute the weight and life should be fine. I had a shoulder pack for the first year of college and it screwed up my shoulder. But I'm fine with a good backpack.
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks for the advice but I think I'm might go with one of these. This is, by far, the coolest net book I have ever seen.
    EDIT: Not as cool as it looked at first glance.
    Post edited by Sir_Xander on
  • True, though I could go on and on about how useless RIT's CS department's computer labs were. ;)
    What are you talking about? They were fine. I often SSH'd to hilly or holly with X-forwarding.
  • Excuse me?
    ;)
    Just joking. Sorry, I should have caught your mood and not tried.
    I am not actually persnickety about this. It comes off that way, but it is just bravado.
  • What are you talking about? They were fine. I often SSH'd to hilly or holly with X-forwarding.
    For standard X forwarding: yes. In fact, I did more than one project like this. If all you needed to do was anything Unix ever, you were fine.

The problem was when they decided to replace all the OLD Sun machines with NEW Sun machines. I took CG1 and CG2 after the transition, and we were told that we couldn't use the new Sun machines to do our projects, despite having recently been stuffed full of NVidia Quatro cards. You see, the drivers Sun provided for those cards were only OpenGL 1.4 compatable, writing off any possibility of using GLSL, and transitively any possibility of doing our projects. :D

Of course, then there was the CS department's phobia of "Foreign" operating systems. The Mac lab did not allow you to use your username/pass, favoring instead shared logins. I'm not sure if they were unable to get it working with their system, or simply unwilling. My guess is the latter, looking at the state of the Windows lab, arguably the largest travesty on campus.
  • Personally, I never could never really simultaneously take notes and pay attention to a lecture adequately enough to justify it. My notebooks would often be full of doodles, or might have the one or two useful notes that I genuinely needed outside of a professor's lecture notes, presentation, or the textbook.

Of course, it might be different with a science education. I learned most of my material in the lab, where I actually got to apply things that I had heard in lecture.