This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• You know what the creationists say; "A new fossil now means two missing transitional fossils."
  • edited May 2009
    I really don't like that the mass media throws around the "missing link"-tag. The evolutionary chain of humans had already been documented as deeply as we could have ever hoped for and further than that. I view this as an additional confirming discovery.

Nevertheless, it is still an important discovery.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited May 2009
    I cannot express to the forums how much I hate the term "missing link." This is just yet another piece of evidence to throw on the already sky-high mountain that came before it.

However, this is also wicked cool. I find it particularly neat that the gut contents were preserved.

Science is so fucking awesome.

EDIT: Damn you chaos for beating me to the "missing link" point.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Neat find, and I also agree with the "missing link" point.
  • The dino-empire is upon us. They are hiding in our genes :O
  • Why are they still calling her a Lemur-Monkey on some networks when scientists have already said she isn't related to lemurs? Way to further confuse the public crappy reporters. Some people will start to think that lemurs are their ancestors. Having been previously misinformed that lemurs jump from cliffs, they may "discover" that they are compelled to jump off cliffs in mass numbers.
    Way to go mainstream media. Killing off the gullible twits that I need to run my money making pseudoscience and religious scams on.
  • Um, it contains some structures that are similar to lemurs and other related animals. It also contains structures that are more similar to humans. So, while calling it a "lemur-monkey" isn't completely accurate, it's not exactly inaccurate either. That's why it's a transitional fossil; it contains a mix of structures that place it between one species and its ancestor.
  • edited May 2009
    Way to further confuse the public crappy reporters.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Um, it contains some structures that are similar to lemurs and other related animals. It also contains structures that are more similar to humans. So, while calling it a "lemur-monkey" isn't completely accurate, it's not exactly inaccurate either. That's why it's a transitional fossil; it contains a mix of structures that place it between one species and its ancestor.
    I know, but it was first identified as a lemur like animal, and the jolly little scientist interviewed on BBC News last night had to politely correct the newscaster several times.
  • Having been previously misinformed that lemurs jump from cliffs, they may "discover" that they are compelled to jump off cliffs in mass numbers.
    Isn't that lemmings?
  • edited May 2009
    Google used is a logo,idiots are outraged(viaUnreasonable Faith)
    Did you see what Google has for its logo today? Those BASTARDS! Who do they think they are?!! Damn, dirty, hippie, liberal, scumsucking sons of whores!

Goddamn them. Goddamn them to hell for posting that offending logo.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Having been previously misinformed that lemurs jump from cliffs, they may "discover" that they are compelled to jump off cliffs in mass numbers.
    Isn't that lemmings?
    D'oh.