This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bad Music

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
There's a lot of music threads going on. Because of something today, I needed to start this thread.

Utada Hikaru, the JPop star who did the awesome theme song in Kingdom Hearts has a new album. It's called "This is the One." In the news this morning it said that this album is the first Japanese album to reach the top 100 in the US since 1986. Based on that, I Pirate Bay'd the album and put it on my iPhone. I listened to it this morning on the way into work.

It is painfully bad. It's so painful, that I couldn't finish listening to it. I suffered through the first two tracks. Then I scanned every remaining track one at a time. They were all painfully bad. Part of it was that she sang in English, so I was able to comprehend the insipid lyrics. But the major problem was that none of the music was even catchy. It was entirely below-average MTV drek. The only thing I can say is that Utada does appear to still have singing talent, although there is no way to know whether she was digitally assisted. It's simply that the songs she is singing are terrible.

Avoid this album!

Also, post other bad musics to avoid.

Comments

• edited May 2009
    All Things Considered would occasionally have this guy on with a bunch of clips of bad music. It was hilarious. That was some bad music to be sought out, because it crossed the line from bad to awesome. I wish I remembered that guy's name.

In that vein, "Highly Illogical" by Lenoard Nimoy and "Rocket Man" by William Shatner are not to be missed.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • in b4 jason posts my music
  • This is from the metal discussion, but it's just so funny I can't stop listening to it.

BLARUHBLAUBLUARHGALBURABLHAGLUHR, BREE BREEE, BLAURHALUHARHB.
  • Even for someone who is pretty noise-tolerant, this hurts my ears.

• Utada Hikaru, the JPop star who did the awesome theme song in Kingdom Hearts has a new album. It's called "This is the One." In the news this morning it said that this album is the first Japanese album to reach the top 100 in the US since 1986. Based on that, I Pirate Bay'd the album and put it on my iPhone. I listened to it this morning on the way into work.

It is painfully bad. It's so painful, that I couldn't finish listening to it. I suffered through the first two tracks. Then I scanned every remaining track one at a time. They were all painfully bad. Part of it was that she sang in English, so I was able to comprehend the insipid lyrics. But the major problem was that none of the music was even catchy. It was entirely below-average MTV drek. The only thing I can say is that Utada does appear to still have singing talent, although there is no way to know whether she was digitally assisted. It's simply that the songs she is singing are terrible.
    Oh my Gawd, we were just making fun of her first English album at work, the one that was released back in 2004.

...It had lyrics like "You're easy breezy and I'm Japaneesy"
    Total facepalm.
  • edited May 2009
    All Things Consideredwould occasionally have this guy on with a bunch of clips of bad music. It was hilarious. That was some bad music to be sought out, because it crossed the line from bad to awesome. I wish I remembered that guy's name.
    This is the guy I was talking about.
    Here's his show.

Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited May 2009
    I just downloaded the recent Tori Amos album "Abnormally Attracted to Sin". As much as it pains me to say it, the majority of this album is just awful. It seems she attempted to merge early nineties synth electronica with prog and pop elements. The experiment could have proven wonderful or at the very least interesting, but it came across as anemically schizophrenic. While there are a few enjoyable tracks, they couldn't redeem this inept and indulgent album. I would rather listen to "Strange Little Girls" or "Y Kant Tori Read". Since "Choir Girl Hotel", I find her music less and less compelling. "Scarlets Walk" was intimate and expected and "American Doll Posse" while raucous and fun seemed lacking lyrically (it was all stale shock value with none of the subtly she once possessed). Despite their inequities, her past few albums worked in their niche. It is unfortunate that the same cannot be said for her latest effort.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited May 2009
    Iced Earth released The Crucible of Man: Something Wicked Part II in September of '08, a sequel to Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part I). It's the third part of a saga created by the band, starting with the album Something Wicked This Way Comes, released in 1999. Something Wicked is a remarkable work of progressive heavy metal. Framing Armageddon was an alright album, but replacement vocalist Tim Owens was not a big hit with the fans. Matt Barlow, the original and better-liked (and better overall) vocalist was tapped for The Crucible of Man, causing a great deal of joy among the fans. Certainly this album would be better than anything they had released yet.

Nope. The Crucible of Man is pretty crappy overall. It's uninspired and drawn out. Ultimately, the whole Something Wicked saga is the ultimate example of band "doing too much with it;" Iced Earth lost their focus and tried writing an epic trilogy of concept albums, a feat only attempted by the most pretentious of prog bands. The Crucible serves as a bitter reminder that sometimes, we're not as great as we think we are.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Yeah, that first Iced Earth album was good. Never listened to the others. Glad that I didn't.
  • edited May 2009
    Yeah, that first Iced Earth album was good. Never listened to the others. Glad that I didn't.
    Well, most of their catalog is pretty awesome. The Glorious Burden, the first album featuring Ripper Owens, isn't as good as the stuff before it, but considering that the stuff before it was amazing, that's not surprising. Every release through 2004 is pretty solid; it's only the two most recent that suck.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, Iced Earth may hold the record for the most re-releases of their own material of any band I know. Each of their first 3 albums have been recorded and mixed a total of 3 times apiece; each recording is different.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I don't believe this thread can be complete without some of this:

• I actually really liked the Album "The Glorious Burden" by Iced Earth, of course that was before the something wicked stuff which I haven't heard.

Anyways, Austrian radio is pretty fucking terrible. They occasionally play some good songs but most of the time they just play random pop songs up and down. Most recently they got some song called Poker Face which they play like once every hour. The "lyrics" are absolute shit.

Also, while I really like good nerdcore, it is kinda hard to find the good stuff out from a load of crap that is out there.
  • Horrible music from bands I love:
    Ummagumma (album) by Pink Floyd- most of the songs on here are retarded and have no real "music" in them...just animal noises and shit. Note that I said most, not all.
    One Foot in the Grave, Stereopathic Soulmanure, and Sea Change (albums) by Beck - unlike most of the rest of his music, these are almost ALL slow tempo depressing songs. I really can't even finish half of these songs because they're so damn boring, too.

Horrible bands:
    - 3oh3
    - Family Force 5
    - Shinedown
    - Theory of a deadman
    - Saving Abel
    - Nickelback
  • Ummagumma is fucking awesome, one of the few Pink Floyd releases I can really get behind.
  • MMM is also really great, you just need to get into it with the right mindset. Put it on as background music while you do your daily routine around the house. It's blissfully cathartic.
  • edited May 2009
    How about that William Hung guy? He was great.
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • edited May 2009
    Really, if I wanted to hear birds chirping and shit, I'd just open the window instead of putting on "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"

Also, side 2 is cool, but most of side 1 is garbage.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • - 3oh3
    *shiver*

Do they do anything other than that ho song?
  • ...It had lyrics like "You're easy breezy and I'm Japaneesy"
    Total facepalm.
    LOL! That's how you know an album is bad.

I actually don't know too many bad musics other than examples that have already been mentioned or aren't worth mentioning.

• Now this is BAD
  • Cold Play.
  • edited May 2009

Now this is BAD
    Oh look at that, it's just about every song that gets popular in this country. Kill me.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Cold Play.
    I dunno, I don't get why people hate on Cold Play so much. I kinda like some of their songs, like "The Scientist." I don't know if I'd call myself a hardcore fan, but I don't get why people go aggle aggle about their music.
  • edited May 2009
    Because most of it is lame soft rock. The dude's voice is pretty annoying, too.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited May 2009
    Now this is BAD
    If you like that in a non-ironic way:
    1. You are a horrible person.
    2. You are probably a closet chav.
    3. You might be interested in making your own bangin' remix on DonkDJ.com.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Cold Play.
    I dunno, I don't get why people hate on Cold Play so much. I kinda like some of their songs, like "The Scientist." I don't know if I'd call myself a hardcore fan, but I don't get why people go aggle aggle about their music.
    I am with you on this Emily. I am not a fan, but they are competent musicians. The compositions can be a predictable and bland, but they are hardly "bad".
  • The dude's voice is pretty annoying, too.
    Radiohead fans will murder me, but his voice reminds me a bit of a more laid back Thom Yorke.
  • I like Coldplay.