This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090527 - Anime Boston 2009

edited May 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the events which occurred at Anime Boston 2009. In the news, we're doing stuff at Otakon, where the artist's alley is completely full. Also, Karuo Kurimoto, creator of the Guin Saga, has passed away.

Comments

• The episode isn't uploaded yet. I just made the post. The download will work in a few minutes. Just chill out.
  • Needless to say, I am returning and gonna do panels this time!
  • edited May 2009
    - Definitely best AB ever (at least since I started going in '06). Also, best layout ever -- they maximized space and prevented a LOT of traffic jams/weird line problems.

- Hahaha, got a shout-out for buying Phoenix! (BTW, Scott, last name is pronounced Le-vit).

- I feel like FRC forums needs to team up next year to take over the panels schedule!

- Princess Tutu popularity can definitely be attributed to that epic Princess Tutu AMV matched to a cool Eastern European techno song that won the contest a couple years ago.
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
    edited May 2009
    The pronunciation of Mjølner as TotD? It's a Norse word. All you have to do is read the word.

Also, slides?
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited May 2009
    The pronunciation of Mjølner as TotD? It's a Norse word. All you have to do is read the word.
    Wait.. Nineless complaining about something no-one else is having a problem with? Is it Thursday already?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Has the Front Row Crew attended AnimeNEXT? I'd love to see some of your late panels there...
  • Has the Front Row Crew attended AnimeNEXT? I'd love to see some of your late panels there...
    We went once. I don't think we are very likely to return in the near future.
    We went once. I don't think we are very likely to return in the near future.
    Any particular reason that I can pass on to the higher-ups in the organization? I've passed on some of the things you guys have liked and we're trying to implement them. From the Anime Boston thing I'd love to see us split the gripe session into two components (Cosplay / everything else).
  • Any particular reason that I can pass on to the higher-ups in the organization?
    1. Anime Next requires us to buy badges ahead of time, and then be compensated afterward. While it's a small thing, it is our policy to not purchase badges for conventions where we perform, and no other convention makes us do this.

2. Previously (years ago), we sent our usual annual convention offerings to Anime Next, but were told that we would have to submit each panel individually via a Word document form. We were not given the option of sending them in bulk, and the form was nontrivial to fill out. No one responded for two months, and by then it was too late for us to prepare. With a few exceptions, we plan the majority of our convention events a far as six or more months in advance.

3. We currently perform at Anime Boston, Connecticon, PAX East, PAX West, The New York Anime Festival, The New York Comic Con, and Otakon regularly, not including our press-only attendance at other events. We've gotten to the point that we simply don't have the time or resources to attend any more without special consideration. (We don't even work with Katsucon anymore, a damn good convention that used to be a staple for us). Generally, to get us to add a new convention to the list, we need at least our travel/hotel expenses to be covered, or else broad leeway in terms of the content we provide.

4. We already attend some of the biggest and best of anime conventions, including the biggest and best (Otakon). We're generally expanding into technology and gaming conventions more, and don't have any plans to increase our presence in the anime circuit any time soon.

So, while Anime Next is a fairly solid con, we basically aren't soliciting additional appearances at new conventions, and we're only accepting solicitations on a case-by-case basis.
  • Thanks for the, as expected, detailed list. It might help the process for others, if not sway your crew in the future.

I wish our con would send out badges ahead of time like NYAF & PAX.
  • I wish our con would send out badges ahead of time like NYAF & PAX.
    I wish that about every con. ^_~ Not even Otakon does it.
  • Since I go to Anime Boston every year, you've made me appreciate it a lot more.

-People have dubbed Anime Boston 2008 as Line-Con 2008 because of the long lines and the 10+ hour wait. There were only computer kiosks for the At-Con registration, only two or three badge printers as well. Combined with the fact that The Pillows were there, and it was Easter Weekend; recipe for potential distaster.

-I totally forgot about Kalafina! Quoting my sister, they were really cute. I felt sorry for those that sat behind the concrete columns.

-I honestly felt that the quality of the cosplayers went down a notch. Like last year's was about a 98, this year's a 96. Hey, everyone's a critic, and I may have missed some really cool ones. Next to the professionally done Fire Emblem cosplayers, I think whoever cosplayed Space Channel 5's Ulala got my vote for being shiny. My friend Meg was nominated for best cosplay, she was Portal's Chell, and she also hugged The Cake cosplayer.

-I know I say it in the other thread, I thought that you guys were just visiting, then again I've been catching up on a month's worth of podcasts.

-That's it?
  • Nice podcast. I already noted in the normal thread that I met you guys, but it was only for a minute so I won't blame you for not mentioning me. Hopefully next year I'll be able to hang out more. The problem is next year PAX East and Anime Boston are on consecutive weekends during the school year
  • Nice podcast. I already noted in the normal thread that I met you guys, but it was only for a minute so I won't blame you for not mentioning me. Hopefully next year I'll be able to hang out more. The problem is next year PAX East and Anime Boston are on consecutive weekends during the school year
    Maybe we'll just have to stay there all week?
  • Already started figuring out if I want to do that...if I stay where I stayed this year for anime boston it would be 1800 for 9 nights within a block of the convention center.

Almost want to say screw it, pull the trigger and have a week and a half nerd vacation.
  • Already started figuring out if I want to do that...if I stay where I stayed this year for anime boston it would be 1800 for 9 nights within a block of the convention center.
    Find a couch to stay on.
  • There is that hostel the girl at Wagamama's told me about....

• 3. We currently perform at Anime Boston, Connecticon, PAX East, PAX West, The New York Anime Festival, The New York Comic Con, and Otakon regularly, not including our press-only attendance at other events. We've gotten to the point that we simply don't have the time or resources to attend any more without special consideration. (We don't even work with Katsucon anymore, a damn good convention that used to be a staple for us). Generally, to get us to add a new convention to the list, we need at least our travel/hotel expenses to be covered, or else broad leeway in terms of the content we provide.
    Did Anime Boston actually cover your accommodation expenses? Did you garner some kind of not-really-a-guest-but-still-more-than-panelists status?
  • Do you get that, Alex?
  • Do you get that, Alex?
    Ha! Definitely not!
  • Did Anime Boston actually cover your accommodation expenses?
    Yes.
  • Did Anime Boston actually cover your accommodation expenses?
    Yes.
    How? Awesome!
  • Hey, you said for people from the forums who met you at AB to give you a shout out, so hey! I was the big guy at the Know Your Creators panel with the tail. Would have tried to meet up earlier if I'd been sure I'd be going to Anime Boston this year further ahead of time.

The opening to the music acts was awesome, but unfortunately it seemed from where I was sitting that the amps were turned up farther than the system could support, and there was really horrible distortion whenever things got loud. I sort of got in line late, though, so maybe I just had a bad seat. Still, seeing Yuki Kajiura in person was worth it. Kalafina actually didn't do the music to .hack or Noir, they're Yuki Kajiura's newest project and I think have only been around for a year or so. Before that it was Fiction/Fiction Junction (which did the music for Tsubasa and I think El Cazador), and before that I don't think there was any official band she had.

I look forward to seeing more of your panels next year.