This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Have You Been Listening To? (Don't make this thread a wall of embedded youtubes)

Comments

• I'm not comfortable with overwhelming lameness.
  • I'm not comfortable with overwhelming lameness.
    Ah, OK, that's more like it. :)
  • I picked up the new Coheed and Cambria this week. First CD I've actually bought in over a year. After a few times through, it's definitely as good as their last album, though that one is only my second favorite.
  • edited May 2010
    I've been listening to The Unholy Terror by Army of the Pharaohs. I don't usually enjoy rap songs and artists that are exclusively about violence towards one group or another (usually whack emcees and cops), but I've got a soft spot for AOTP. The orchestral samples and non-stop punchlines give all the brutal violence a sense of fantastical, almost silly fun. There are some unfortunate exceptions in the group; front man Vinnie Paz too often descends into bigotry and downright creepy power fantasies, but when you've got several other artists on the same song it drowns most of the BS out. That's another thing to love; the sheer number of incredible rappers they can pull together at once, bringing us tracks like The Ultimatum, which has nine different members going at it in quick succession.

There aren't many songs that can get me pumped like an AOTP battle rap.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I've been re-listening to Red This Ever's first CD. They're a local synthrock band. I'm really looking forward to the next album.
  • Nujabes First & Second collection.

I'm beyond digging that mellow-bob-your-head-smile-relax-and-realize-that-life-is-good vibe to it.
  • edited May 2010
    The new Gogol Bordello album is the finest in immigrant-underdog wanderlust gypsy punk! PARTY!

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2010

Also: @Koholint: I still prefer "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place" to "All of a sudden.." but it's not bad.

What are you looking at me like that for..?

Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The new Gogol Bordello album is the finest in immigrant-underdog wanderlust gypsy punk! PARTY!
    If you like Gogol Bordello you should check out Emir Kusturica & The No Smoking Orchestra, there's a lot of overlap musically, just less loud. Actual music starts at ~:50
  • It seems like every new Hold Steady album is initially disappointing, but after listening it a few times, it never fails to grow on me. Heaven Is Whenever has one or two truly shitty tracks, but there's still a lot of gold here. The new stuff is a lot less piano-centric, mostly due to the fact that their awesome keyboardist left the band to pursue his solo career, but these songs are still the hotness.

• This is Artcube, been listening to this song for a while now, the bass line is pure addiction.
  • Going to see them Friday night.
  • edited May 2010
    pretty much anything by the lapfoxtrax / vulpvibe records guy despite my aversion to furries

for some reason I'm really digging this in particular

also crazy conspiracy bs on coast to coast, it helps me get in the mindset to write.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • pretty much anything by the lapfoxtrax / vulpvibe records guy despite my aversion to furries
    Well, I have to admit that this is indeed a cute shark.
  • edited May 2010
    He made an album called sharktits. I bought it for like 4 dollars. The music is good and I own an album called sharktits.

My favorite character he made though is Jackal Queenston. Nothing like a Jackal wearing a nazi uniform while insanely happy music with dadaist type lyrics play in the background.

This is a good summary of my views on life. You have to come out laughing, especially after you lay waste to your opposition :D

I love the way this song has that maniacal groove to it. If I were an advance wars CO, this would be my theme for sure. Yes, I know how dumb that sounds too.

also more shark for rym's apparent furry love

I love the references in this song, it's impressive how it sounds like it was meant to go together when it's just a bunch of sampled stuff from a game. Kudos to the artist for making something interesting with an overused meme.

This song gets stuck in my head and requires a prybar to dislodge it. Remixed from dj tsar I believe, but I like the music aspects of this one better.
    lyrics to the eggs song will be clarified here
    Post edited by Sova on
  • edited May 2010

Pretty much a lot of a.b.s., but this song has been a favorite of mine recently. a.b.s. mixes rock, techno, and pop perfectly for me, with a little bit of hip-hop for good measure sometimes. Takanori Nishikawa always wins.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Can we repurpose this thread to be some kind of "Music you are listening to" thread along the lines of the "Movies you just watched" thread? I feel like I'd post in here a lot more if it was more like that.
    See, my only problem with that is that it's just going to become a wall of YouTube embeds, like an even more useless version of the Things of Your Day thread. At least with the Movies thread, you have to actually talk about the movie.
    Pay attention, guys. If you have nothing to say about the song you are posting, don't post it.

• I can't stop listening to this song. Though it seems like some random funny folk song, it's oddly compelling and moving once you know the story of it - It was written when he started feeling rather sick, mistaking it for simply aging and the accompanying decay, two years before he was diagnosed with Lung Cancer, which killed him a year later. This particular recording is from his final performance on Letterman.

Remember, not going to the Physician for 20 years is probably a grave tactical error, and enjoy every sandwich.
  • "Silver Dwarf" and "Sun I Call" by Solefald. All the time.
  • edited May 2010
    In celebration of the fact that I'm going to be leaving for the forces soon and will be leaving this god forsaken hellhole I wanted to drop some culture on you.

I just have to throw this out there because it combines my favorite things in life, pure hate, especially for winnipeg, and interesting music.

I feel the need to point out how much winnipeg deserves hate again. The climate goes from -50 (thats degrees Celsius you heathens) to +40 with like a 98% humidity. The place is infested with gangs, drugs, murder and all that lovely stuff. Going downtown is a risk to your life because of all the natives hopped up on lysol and gasoline fumes. Our super 'high class' hotels are basically bum hangout places where you could get assaulted for your wallet in the middle of the day in a clearly visible public place and nobody would give a shit. Also the police are totally corrupt drug dealers and amount to little more than just another gang who occasionally duke it out with the hell's angels/zig-zags or rock machine when turf gets crossed, but usually they work together.

Here is another song that also expresses the winnipeg experience.
    There is a fairly ironic sign that you see when you drive into this shithole that says 'winnipeg, one great city' which is a blatant lie.

If anyone else can find songs about how much winnipeg sucks please post them.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • edited May 2010
    Edited...
  • I just have to throwthisout there because it combines my favorite things in life, pure hate, especially for winnipeg, and interesting music.
    Yes, you're slow.
  • edited May 2010
    I just have to throwthisout there because it combines my favorite things in life, pure hate, especially for winnipeg, and interesting music.
    Yes, you're slow.

FUCK.

Anyway, let's ignore my massive failure to read posts all the way. Instead, let's focus on how the new Broken Social Scene album is pretty boss:

• Wait, what? did I mess something up in my first post or am I missing something? I can't tell if you're making fun of me for doing something stupid, or if windupbird said something or what.... I re-read what I posted and was surprisingly coherent in my rage from what I could tell.

Aside from that, that song is pretty sweet, I haven't heard of those guys before, but I'm digging that tune... almost reminds me of m83 with either coldplay or the arcade fire style lyrics. Not my normal type of music, but pretty cool.
  • I can't tell if you're making fun of me for doing something stupid, or if windupbird said something or what....
    I didn't read your post; all I saw was "post any songs you find about how much Winnepeg sucks." So I posted all of Winnepeg is a Frozen Shithole, not having seen that you linked it.

I'm listening to a lot of AJJ and trying to hold my shit together, because I feel like everything might fall apart this week.

• edited May 2010
    Algernon Cadwallader is pretty exceptional. Mathy guitar riffs, emo vocals, pop-punk sensibilities, and a lot of creative instrumentation. I had put off checking out this band for like a year before I finally listened to this album about two months ago. Very much looking forward to them releasing something new in the near future.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Baroness' "Red Album" and "Blue Record."
  • Embedded. Just FYI.
  • Flight of the Conchords. Particularly "Business Time" and "Sugalumps"

...yeah, I'll be watching that show. I'm so glad humor/geeky music is on an upward slope. ^_^
  • the past few days I have been listening to music I already play or want to play at open mics. so a lot of Tom Petty and The Gaslight Anthem