This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sims 3!

edited May 2009 in Video Games
Is anyone here a huge fan of the Sims? After not being exposed to it as a kid, about a year ago I started playing the Sims 2, and I became obsessed.

The Sims 3 comes out June 2 (omg 4 days!) What I am most excited about is customizing the furniture and other objects in the game. While controlling virtual dolls and watching them do silly things is fun, I am more interested in building crazy houses and decorating them. I think I might dedicate a section of my website to screenshots of my creations.

Is anybody else excited as I am, or am I just a crazy person?

Comments

• edited May 2009
    I should be excited. I liked Sims 2. I played it for a month several years ago and then completely forgot about it. The Sims 3 release makes me want to play Sims 2 again (unless Mr. MacRoss sold it).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Yeah, I'm a fan. I have Sims one and two. I'll probably get number 3 here soon.
  • The Sims is for women.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • edited May 2009
    The Sims is for women.
    It's just a digital form of playing with dolls.

Which is different than playing with action figures.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Which is different than playing withaction figures.
    G.I. Joe is to Barbie as Men of War is to Sims?
  • Will the game still have weird mumbling sounds as voices?
  • The Sims is for awesome people.
    Yes, I agree. Finally, a rational opinion on this most beloved franchise, and I congratulate you on being brave enough to say it!

I play the game like it's an interactive version of Scarface. Start out from the bottom, accumulate money and power (and de wimmin), then watch as the following generations wreak havoc on the neighbourhood.
  • I own Sims 1 and Sims 2, I'd like to pick up Sims 3 but I've got so many games to play/finish that it would just eat up all my time.
  • The Sims is for women.
    It's just a digital form of playing with dolls. Which is different than playing withaction figures.
    Bullshit. Action Figures are a subset of Dolls.
  • The Sims is for women.
    It's just a digital form of playing with dolls. Which is different than playing withaction figures.
    Bullshit. Action Figures are a subset of Dolls.
    I agree. I thought the original point of action figures was to give boys something to play with that was more "manly," rather than them playing with their sister's dolls. I used to play with Power Ranger, Ninja Turtles, etc. action figures as well as Barbies.

I consider the Sims much better than dolls because you can customize them to look like anyone you want (and now even more so with the new game). I think its fun making celebrities and people I know and then making them do stupid things.

I actually recorded the Sims for a video for one of my school projects. I used them to demonstrate a product I invented, and everyone was impressed with my "awesome 3-D characters" that were way better than their stick figure animations.
  • Relevant:
  • edited June 2009
    It's funny because it's ironic (screw CAD)!

I loved the sims as a young boy. Some of my fondest memories are of inviting my friends over and playing Sims 2 on my PS2. One time we made the Osbornes and tortured, tore apart, and killed the entire family. Good times.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • It's funny because it's ironic (screw CAD)!
    What is with the CAD hatred? It isn't the best webcomic, but it is far from the worst.
  • What is with the CAD hatred? It isn't the best webcomic, but it is far from the worst.
    I think I've only chuckled at one CAD comic out of the many I've seen. The rest are completely lame, unfunny, and nothing about the strip has improved since 2004.
  • What is with the CAD hatred? It isn't the best webcomic, but it is far from the worst.
    I think I've only chuckled at one CAD comic out of the many I've seen. The rest are completely lame, unfunny, and nothing about the strip has improved since 2004.
    It's the Garfield of web comics.
  • It's the Garfield of web comics.
    Hardly. The characters progress, they have one-offs that are usually mildly funny and occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. They aren't Penny Arcade by any means, but I would qualify them as decent.
    This is a taste issue, though, so there isn't much point in arguing it. We shall agree to disagree, no?
  • We shall agree to disagree, no?
    No. Historians have a pretty clear picture. The step down after toilet humour is CAD.

Concerning The Sims. Back in my day, every male looked the same, and every female looked the same, if we wanted to have a different couch we had to model and texture it ourselves, if we wanted to make a second room we were laughed at by our Sims. Spoiled teens these days. My interest in the game disappeared after a short peak in excitement when Sims 2 was announced, now I don't really care much. Perhaps one day I'll step back on the Sims metro.
  • Good thing this comes out this week, now I have a gift to give my significant other for our anniversary.
  • Never really saw the appeal of the series. Everything I thought was interesting was just something scripted in the game. These were funny at first, but were spaced out by lame gaps of go to work, talk to friends, sleep, etc.

I suppose, to bring everything full circle, I may even call CAD "The Sims of Gaming Comics": I know there's humor, but it's really spaced off and predictable. Also, you wonder just how it became such an enormous success.
  • I'm surprised to see that more debate took place about whether or not Ctrl+Alt+Delete is a good webcomic than whether or not "The Sims is for women."
  • Never really saw the appeal of the series. Everything I thought was interesting was just something scripted in the game. These were funny at first, but were spaced out by lame gaps of go to work, talk to friends, sleep, etc.

I suppose, to bring everything full circle, I may even call CAD "The Sims of Gaming Comics": I know there's humor, but it's really spaced off and predictable. Also, you wonder just how it became such an enormous success.
    Well, Therein lies the problem. It USED to be a good comic, had it been a few years earlier, it may have even been a competitor to Penny Arcade, instead of a worthless imitator.

That's a scary thought, actually - can you imagine if Tim "Ego the Size of a Planet" Buckley had ended up with the success that Penny Arcade did, rather than Gabe and Tycho? Jeeeeeeeeesus.

The problem is, Buckley had try to put in drama when he's not actually any good at it. Remember the CADbortion, for one example? The whole "Lucas's girlfriend is cheating on him, is also a criminal" storyline?
    He's ham-fisted, and has far too high an opinion of himself as being the Shakespeare of Webcomics, blending comedy and tragedy masterfully - when in reality, he's just an unsubtle hack, trying to imitate and better Penny Arcade, while trying to be a "serious" webcomic by throwing in some badly done drama.
  • I tried Sims 2 a bit after it came out. I was really bored and never picked it up again. It just never appealed to me.
  • I saw the "collector's edition" of Sims3 today at the local WalMart of all places (yes, I know, WalMart sucks. It's also damn near the only place to shop in this part of BFE, so I go there. But I digress.) That version comes with a green sim gem thingy, like the one that floats over the active Sim's head, which also happens to be a 2 Gig flash drive. Props to them for making a pack-in for the "jacked up price with useless tchotchke" version something you could actually use.
  • I saw the "collector's edition" of Sims3 today at the local WalMart of all places (yes, I know, WalMart sucks. It's also damn near the only place to shop in this part of BFE, so I go there. But I digress.) That version comes with a green sim gem thingy, like the one that floats over the active Sim's head, which also happens to be a 2 Gig flash drive. Props to them for making a pack-in for the "jacked up price with useless tchotchke" version something you could actually use.
    I almost got the collector's addition just because of the awesome flash drive. However it was kind of big and would probably not have gone on my keychain very well. Plus I don't really need another one, however cool it may be. *sigh*
  • (yes, I know, WalMart sucks. It's also damn near the only place to shop in this part of BFE, so I go there. But I digress.)
    Does Wal-Mart somehow offer a lower-quality Sims3 experience? Wal-Mart does not suck. If anything, you saved money by getting your game at Wal-Mart. Sheesh.
  • I played a pirated Sims 1 back in 2000 for a few days. It's a doll house plus diner dash. You have to click on each task to progress. Sim is hungry, click fridge then click on sink to do dishes. I don't know what has happened in the sequels, but I doubt they've changed the fundamentals of the game.

The only good part of the game was the architecture aspect of designing houses and such. In the original game, at least, it was far too limited to make anything interesting. I guess that's why there were expansions which added a lot more stuff. Still, if I'm going to pirate something to design houses, I'll just pirate AutoCAD.
  • (yes, I know, WalMart sucks. It's also damn near the only place to shop in this part of BFE, so I go there. But I digress.)
    Does Wal-Mart somehow offer a lower-quality Sims3 experience? Wal-Mart does not suck. If anything, yousaved moneyby getting your game at Wal-Mart. Sheesh.
    Actually it cost the same as everywhere else.
  • Sim is hungry, click fridge then click on sink to do dishes. I don't know what has happened in the sequels, but I doubt they've changed the fundamentals of the game.
    As far as I can tell, they got rid of this requirement. I think the Sims will be able to progress through the day on their own.
  • Sim is hungry, click fridge then click on sink to do dishes. I don't know what has happened in the sequels, but I doubt they've changed the fundamentals of the game.
    As far as I can tell, they got rid of this requirement. I think the Sims will be able to progress through the day on their own.
    They still have a handful of the same needs, but their AI is better about handling them. In the Sims 2, if I tried to let the AI handle everything, my Sim would eat some food instead of going to the bathroom, thus peeing all over himself. But now I can buy a steel bladder with my happiness rewards (or whatever they're called).
  • They still have a handful of the same needs, but their AI is better about handling them. In the Sims 2, if I tried to let the AI handle everything, my Sim would eat some food instead of going to the bathroom, thus peeing all over himself. But now I can buy a steel bladder with my happiness rewards (or whatever they're called).
    It would make sense game-wise, to give you control of your Sim if there were meaningful decisions to be made. Perhaps it is very hot out, but your sim has to pee soon. Should you drink water or go to the bathroom first? Which will make him happier?

However, the game doesn't have meaningful decisions as I saw it. There is always one obvious right and easy course of action. Always one problem, and always one solution. It's just mindless manual labor to manage the Sims. of course, there is the added fun that you can make them do stupid things on purpose, but that gets boring after about five minutes. It would be trivial to make the Sims automatically do what they need to do. But then, what game would there be? All you would do is sit there watching the Sims go about their business.