This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

UP

edited June 2009 in Movies
I'm kind of surprised no one has commented about this movie. I loved it. It's easily one of the best Pixar movies ever made. I'm not going into details but the movie had far more depth to the story then I was expecting.

Go see this movie. Yes Scott, even you should see this.

Comments

• Go see this movie. Yes Scott, even you should see this.
    If it's not Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, I'm not paying $15 to watch it in a room full of screaming babies. Put it in the queue with everything else.
  • This is now in my top 3 of favorite Pixar movies. I saw it last Friday. I went in, not really knowing the basic storyline, and came out amazed. templar21 is right, the movie has a lot more depth. I can't believe how much I cried during that movie, but that's because some of it hit me on a personal level. However, this is one particular scene that had me laughing out loud so hard because of the awesome fan service to Star Wars.

I definitely recommend for people to to see it. I might even see it in 3D, if I chose to watch it again.

Also Scott, you can try going to an early bird showing, especially on a weekday. Barely any children.

On another note, I recommend Jason's review about it. ^_^
  • Scott, you may find this meaningless to your impenetrable wall of meh, but there is something to be said about going to see a movie at a theater, Especially if it's a nice theater. Go and see a night time showing, there ought to be less kids there.
  • The movie is in 3D as well, I believe. Might be enough reason to go see it that way.
  • I don't know if it is my absolute favorite Pixar production (That honor goes to Ratatouille), but it is definitely up there. There were many times I got all misty eyed, and many times when I laughed out loud. That in and of itself is a great recommendation for the movie. Also, I really liked his revelation at the end.

Also, the dog Doug was wonderful. "The cone of shame" face = LOL
  • edited June 2009
    Also, the dog Doug was wonderful. "The cone of shame" face = LOL
    Yes, Doug was awesome. His voice, his design, *SQUIRREL!*, and his expressions were all very enjoyable.

My boyfriend and I do the Wilderness Explorer call from time to time as well.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Especially if it's a nice theater. Go and see a night time showing, there ought to be less kids there
    There are no nice theatres near my house. Late night shows in the city are expensive, and mean I will get home very late, if at all. Early morning shows in the city mean getting up stupid early. When a movie ticket is almost the price of a DVD, and things like Netflix streaming exist, the movie theatre rarely becomes a good idea.
  • Especially if it's a nice theater. Go and see a night time showing, there ought to be less kids there
    There are no nice theatres near my house. Late night shows in the city are expensive, and mean I will get home very late, if at all. Early morning shows in the city mean getting up stupid early. When a movie ticket is almost the price of a DVD, and things like Netflix streaming exist, the movie theatre rarely becomes a good idea.
    Dates.
  • Dates.
    Scott.
  • Scott.
    Sorry, Scott. I just couldn't resist that one. ;^)
  • Sorry, Scott. I just couldn't resist that one. ;^)
    If you hadn't, one of us would.
  • Scott.
    Sorry, Scott. I just couldn't resist that one. ;^)
    I almost did something to that effect, but I felt bad. Instead, I set it up to make someone else look like an asshole. :P
  • Even if you were to go on a date, a movie theater is not a good choice. If the movie is good, you're not paying attention the other person, which is the point of a date. If the movie is bad, and you're only paying attention to the other person, you didn't need to waste money buying a ticket. You could have had a better experience going to the park or whatever.

Let's play innuendo softball.

The best place to go on a date is the zoo.
  • edited June 2009
    Even if you were to go on a date, a movie theater is not a good choice. If the movie is good, you're not paying attention the other person, which is the point of a date. If the movie is bad, and you're only paying attention to the other person, you didn't need to waste money buying a ticket. You could have had a better experience going to the park or whatever.
    It is entirely possible to split your attention. Also, you can make preliminary moves at the theater, and then follow up afterward.

The best place for a date: your mom.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • The best place for a date: your mom.
    Like I just said, the zoo.
  • Like I just said, the zoo.
    Oh snap! Scott 2, Pete 1.
  • *dons sports commentator headset* That's right, Rym. This is turning out to be a startling match versus two masters of biting innuendo. Who will fire the next shot? It's anyone's guess.
  • I liked every single character in the movie. It's not very often when that happens.
  • I absolutely loved this film. I would rank it as Pixar's #2 behind Wall-e and before Ratatouille. I really want to see it again, but in 3-D. It seems that the 3-D would add a lot to the locales portrayed.
  • Best place to go on a date: Anime con after 10:00 PM.
  • Best place to go on a date: Anime con after 10:00 PM.
    If you've got a girl who's into the H-scene, then yeah, I guess. You gotta watch out for that, though. I dated this hardcore YAOI fan for a while. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but she tried bringing me into it in weird ways sometimes ...

Anyways, saw UP twice, once in 3D once in not. Definitely a good date movie, but with someone who is either trigger-happy with commitment or someone you've been with for a while. I thought it was a great movie on its own merit, though. I definitely squirted a couple at times. Can get really dense with messages at times, almost preachy, but I think it avoids it pretty well.
  • Can get really dense with messages at times, almost preachy, but I think it avoids it pretty well.
    How was the movie at all preachy?
    Anyhow...my friend dragged me to see the 3d movie a few days ago. I was skeptical about the 3d, but it was ok because it wasn't the shitty red and blue glasses.

Doug was awesome, and I nearly cried when he said "I hid under your porch because I love you". It was pretty heartwarming, to be honest.

Was it worth the $10? Eh....but it was worth my time at least.
  • edited June 2009
    By the way guys, his name is spelled "Dug," not "Doug."
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • his name is spelled "Dug," not "Doug."
    How cute!
  • I thought the bird was the funniest thing in the movie. The way that its eyes got all big every time it squawked was just hilarious to me. I want my own Kevin...
  • edited June 2009
    If you've got a girl who's into the H-scene, then yeah, I guess. You gotta watch out for that, though. I dated this hardcore YAOI fan for a while. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but she tried bringing me into it in weird ways sometimes ...
    There's this funny Japanese webcomic about a programmer dating a YAOI fangirl. Tonari no 801-chan. I wonder if there are translations...
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • This is not coming out in the UK until 16th October, sigh.
  • Is it worth it to see it in 3D?
  • Is it worth it to see it in 3D?
    I saw it in 3-D at my local theater, and it was great. Luckily they gave us new fancy 80s music video style glasses, not old gross ones. Anyway, I was blown away by how realistic it was. I think watching it in 3-D added an extra depth to it that made even more realistic. It wasn't cheesy at all- nothing flying at you from the screen and no water guns squirting your face. (Like stupid 3-D theme park movies...)

The only downside is that as soon as the ads go 3-D, everyone goes "OOOhohohho WOW!!" like its the awesomest thing in the world. Stupid kids.
  • I saw Coraline in 3D. While I liked the movie quite a lot, the 3D experience added so very little that I wonder if it is worth the added expense. I haven't seen UP yet and I am debating whether a 3D showing is worth it over all. If it is equivalent to the Coraline 3D experience, it was neat at the beginning, but I quickly forgot about the 3D effect.