This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spirited Away

Comments

• Let the others wait until they are 7 or 8ish.
    Really? I was thinking maybe 10-13. Mononoke had beheading and arms being severed from a flying arrow. Don't forget scary empty pig skins and maggot type worms.
    I saw Vampire Hunter D when I was 8. My little brother was 5.5. We both decided it was the best thing ever.

It really depends on the kid.
    Really? I was thinking maybe 10-13. Mononoke had beheading and arms being severed from a flying arrow. Don't forget scary empty pig skins and maggot type worms.
    Hokuto no Ken is for 8 year olds.
  • Stick with Kiki's Delivery Service or My Neighbor Totoro.
    Yeah, both of these are great movies, and should be fine for pretty much everyone to watch.
    It may also be the case that even though the kids are perfectly fine with the movie, the parents still feel uncomfortable showing it to them. This could definitely be the case with Princess Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies.
    Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this thread. I just watched Spirited Away with my kids this weekend. I think the characters may have been a little too scary for them (they're 3 & 5).
    I have a friend who tells me his girlfriend was frightened by Spirited Away and did not want to continue watching it.
    I saw Vampire Hunter D when I was 8. My little brother was 5.5. We both decided it was the best thing ever.

Hehe, my 5 yr old is afraid of the witch in Snow White, so we'll probably hold off on that one.

Thanks everyone!
  • Hehe, my 5 yr old is afraid of the witch in Snow White, so we'll probably hold off on that one.
    I don't understand why people try to keep their kids from getting scared. A little fright is good for you.
  • I was super scared of the witch, but I'm glad I watched the movie when I was mini. Keeping the fears of childhood (monsters, etc.) away just lets them not imagine.
    Besides, the McDonald's characters scared me a lot more and there is no way to shield kids from weird random mascot advertisements.

I would say Totoro is key. Totoro was my favorite ever as a kid!
    Also, Brave Story would be good, maybe in a few years. (There are a lot of creepy monsters in that one.)
    Welcome to the Space Show is a good movie visually to show elementary school kids. It's crazy looking!
  • Hehe, my 5 yr old is afraid of the witch in Snow White, so we'll probably hold off on that one.
    I don't understand why people try to keep their kids from getting scared. A little fright is good for you.
    True. I believe Walt Disney said parents would be surprised to learn that children loved to be frightened once in a while.

The problem is that our bed gets pretty full with all our "scared" children in the middle of the night. I need my sleep!
  • I've said it a million times, Hokuto no ken. It builds up character.
  • The problem is that our bed gets pretty full with all our "scared" children in the middle of the night. I need my sleep!
    Cory Doctorow has a solution for this. Your mileage may vary, but he says it works for him. He has a calendar that he puts stickers on when he will have a sleepover with his kid. On those days the kid can sleep with them, and they make a big deal about it. If the kid tries to come over any other day, they point at the calendar and send them back.
  • I'll have to try that, Apreche.

By the way, an update since my last post: We watched Howl's Moving Castle (quite a few times, I might add) and liked it! The kids liked watching the parts with the scarecrow for some reason. Anyway, I have my neighbor Totoro next on the queue. I've added Porco Rocco, Kiki's delivery service and Castle in the Sky. Is there a certain order you would recommend them in? Are there any that are more advanced than others (In terms of understanding)?

These are getting fun to watch! It's nice watching good moral movies that differ from your typical cartoon and story.
  • I have Porco Rosso but have yet to watch it. I don't think there is any particular order you need to watch them. Both Totoro & Kiki's Delivery Service should be easy to understand.
  • Porco Rosso is a little harder for the kids to understand.
  • Porco Rosso is a little harder for the kids to understand.
    Yeah, it's more for adults. Or kids who like airplanes and can ignore the more deep political intrigue.
    It's mostly just Miyazaki's love-letter to airplanes.
  • I have such a soft spot for Porco Rosso. I know it's not the best Miyazaki movie, but it might be my favorite. It just really touches something in me.

But yes, I think it's tougher for kids to follow.
  • Yeah, it's more for adults. Or kids who like airplanes and can ignore the more deep political intrigue.
    It's mostly just Miyazaki's love-letter to airplanes.
    Wow, I think I need to see this, like tonight.
  • Princess Mononoke. Its probably the least kid friendly of the films but I loved it as a kid and still do.
  • I have such a soft spot for Porco Rosso. I know it's not the best Miyazaki movie, but it might be my favorite. It just really touches something in me.
    I agree, but I put it at #2 behind Spirited Away.
    But yes, I think it's tougher for kids to follow.
    Added note: Don't think it's inappropriate for children, just perhaps a little bit over their heads.
  • Some of Miyazaki's movies from the middle of his career are the best and most accessible in my opinion. Castle of Cagliostro requires at least some familiarity with Lupin III and Nausicaa feels like it is the first part of a much longer story, which it is. I was really struck by Castle in the Sky when I was younger, that movie holds the dubious distinction of being the first movie in which I ever saw somebody get pistol whipped. My favorite of his is Kiki's Delivery Service. Totoro is great, especially for younger kids. Stop at Princess Mononoke, IMHO. I never really liked Spirited Away and his recent films are just to scatter shot for me to enjoy.

tl;dr. My order is Kiki's, Then Castle, Then Totoro, Then Porco Rosso
  • Spirited Away
    This is a tough call, certainly.
    Wow, I think I need to see this, like tonight.
    Dude, dog-fighting pulp set in the 20's. Fucking chasing air pirates and shit.

I think I need to watch it again.
  • I'm pretty sure I have the Porco Rosso DVD if anyone needs it.
  • I never really liked Spirited Away
    I didn't care for it either, it just seemed to be going too many different directions for me.
    Dude, dog-fighting pulp set in the 20's. Fucking chasing air pirates and shit.
    Yup, gonna try and watch this tonight.
  • Dude, dog-fighting pulp set in the 20's. Fucking chasing air pirates and shit.
    Yup, gonna try and watch this tonight.
    Oooh. Now I'm intrigued. I'll watch it this weekend since I'm not going to Sakura Con.
  • I can't believe so many people haven't seen Porco Rosso.
  • edited April 2011
    I can't believe so many people haven't seen Porco Rosso.
    Two people does not qualify as so many people. I own it, have had many intentions of watching it, but never got around to it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Good stuff. Thanks everyone! So are Miyazaki's movies considered the best for anime? Are there other ones that are not Miyazaki's that you would recommend for kids?
  • Good stuff. Thanks everyone! So are Miyazaki's movies considered the best for anime? Are there other ones that are not Miyazaki's that you would recommend for kids?
    Most of the best stuff for kids are TV shows that are mostly not translated. Doraemon, for example.
  • Most of the best stuff for kids are TV shows that are mostly not translated. Doraemon, for example.
    Yep. I was going to also say Chi's Sweet Home. They are 3 minute episodes, but not translated.

I recommend getting the graphic novel at least. It's very cute and adorable to read.

Many people will argue that Miyazaki is the best, but there are several other great directors/animators. There are several other Studio Ghibli titles that have been released in the US that aren't directed by him.

FYI, from that link apparently Miyazaki is working on a sequel for Porco Rosso.
  • FYI, from that link apparently Miyazaki is working on a sequel for Porco Rosso.
    Wut!?
    Cardcaptor Sakura was a bit hit with my kid when he was younger. As was Adventures of the Mini Goddesses (despite the fact that neither of us had watched Oh! My Goddess).

Also, I'm inordinately fond of Ground Defense Force! Mao Chan, which is kid-friendly and chock full o' cute aliens invading Tokyo (all the metaphors about the restrictions on Japan's armed forces will go right over the young'uns heads).

And we watched all of Kimba, a huge nostalgia kick for me.

Note that I'm not commenting on quality here . . . just telling you some stuff we liked watching together.

I wish I could find the video programming schedule for AB03. We spent most of Saturday camped out in the one screening room that was child-friendly and dubbed (not interested in dub/sub flame wars here, I just don't find subs practical for those who can't read fast yet).
  • Cardcaptor Sakura was a bit hit with my kid when he was younger. As was Adventures of the Mini Goddesses (despite the fact that neither of us had watched Oh! My Goddess).
    Very true, however the DVD releases aren't dubbed. There was "Cardcaptors" that had a few episodes that aired on US TV, but didn't do so well in ratings.