This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Getting into a Band

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I'm going to stay out of the Wolfmother argument for now (though you could also argue that they rip off Jethro Tull's flute in Witchcraft...and you'd be right, since they do).
    As for getting into them. It's easy. They have 1 CD. Listen to it.

I personally love it, but I also realize that they're very similar to Zeppelin (is that really a bad thing?) and rip off many old bands.

For other bands, I usually download the entire discography and just go through it. Jethro Tull is a little daunting, but I already listened to Pink Floyd's discography, which is equally daunting in length. Greatest hits albums aren't a bad idea, but picking random stuff is not always a good idea. There are horrible songs by bands, and there are horrible albums by bands.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Start with Stand Up for Jethro Tull.
  • edited June 2009

I personally love it, but I also realize that they're very similar to Zeppelin (is that really a bad thing?) and rip off many old bands.
    I suppose the argument boils down to where you put the line between "Ripping off" and "Inspired/influenced by".
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2009
    So after a few days of talking crap about wolfmother I came up with a band to listen to instead.

Try Clutch. They are a sort of a throwback like wolfmother, but with much better instrumentation. Download The Elephant Riders. It's a really good album.
    Post edited by Sean on
  • but with much better instrumentation.
    I don't think that means what you think it means.
  • Well i just googled it to make sure and the first thing that came up was:

instrumentation: The application or use of instruments.

Bearing that in mind, I am pretty comfortable with my use of the term.
  • Well i just googled it to make sure and the first thing that came up was:

instrumentation: The application or use of instruments.

Bearing that in mind, I am pretty comfortable with my use of the term.
    You mustn't have looked very hard.

Instrumentation is the particular combination of musical instruments employed in a composition, and to the properties of those instruments individually. Instrumentation is sometimes used as a synonym for orchestration, which more properly refers to an orchestrator's, composer's or arranger's craft of employing instruments in varying combinations.
  • Wow, I wouldn't have thought that direct copying from wikipedia while simultaneously dismissing my explanation from some random website thrown up by google would be so damming.

The interesting thing is that the explanation that you used still demonstrates my point. The original point that I was trying to make was that Clutch uses their musical talent and mastery over their instruments in a much more effective fashion than that of Wolfmother. In effect, their use of musical instruments employed in a composition is better than Wolfmother's use of musical instruments employed in a composition.
  • edited June 2009
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought that direct copying from wikipedia while simultaneously dismissing my explanation from some random website thrown up by google would be so damming.

The interesting thing is that the explanation that you used still demonstrates my point. The original point that I was trying to make was that Clutch uses their musical talent and mastery over their instruments in a much more effective fashion than that of Wolfmother. In effect, their use of musical instruments employed in a composition is better than Wolfmother's use of musical instruments employed in a composition.
    So to cut the pretentious shit, what you're saying is that you believe Clutch play their instruments better, and make music that sounds better to you. Correct or incorrect?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Look, irrespective of whether or not Clutch is greater than Wolfmother, Li really needs to get checking out Amon Amarth. That should be priority number 1. Don't agree?

Thor thinks otherwise.
  • Lol if there is a real world version of Metalocalypse then Amon Amarth is it...
  • edited June 2009
    Too bad Clutch's lead singer doesn't even compare to Wolfmother's. The dude sounds like shit.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited June 2009
    Both bands sound like shit.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited June 2009
    @ Pete, I have to listen to the song with my eyes closed, that silly video had me crackin' up and I couldn't focus on the song.

EDIT: Nope, still crackin' up. The instrumentals are great, but the vocalist sounds like he is burp-chanting and the lyrics are silly. Apparently this is not FOR me.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Look, irrespective of whether or not Clutch is greater than Wolfmother, Li really needs to get checking out Amon Amarth. That should be priority number 1. Don't agree? Thor thinks otherwise.
    That was pretty epic, but because the singer/growler is wearing a shirt for the band, does that make him "that guy" at the concert?
  • The instrumentals are great, but the vocalist sounds like he is burp-chanting and the lyrics are silly. Apparently this is not FOR me.
    I agree with the instrumentals. But what lyrics? He just grunts a lot. In my opinion most metal bands only become worth listening to if you grab instrumental versions of the songs.
  • edited June 2009
    Look, irrespective of whether or not Clutch is greater than Wolfmother, Li really needs to get checking out Amon Amarth. That should be priority number 1. Don't agree? Thor thinks otherwise.
    That was pretty epic, but because the singer/growler is wearing a shirt for the band, does that make him "that guy" at the concert?
    Well, Amon Amarth is one of the few bands where it's OK to wear their shirts to their shows. It's a rule.

Amon Amarth is definitely a silly band, and like all extreme metal, you have to "get" it to like it. The thing that solidifies one's love of the band is their live show; when you see them up on stage doing their thing with all the energy they've got, and everyone around you is as into it as you are, it takes the experience to a whole different level. That's really what metal is all about; at its core, it's all somewhat silly music, but the point is to bring people together over the collective love of something that's a bit silly. It helps you learn to stop taking yourself too seriously, and start being social.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Amon Amarth is definitely a silly band, and like all extreme metal, you have to "get" it to like it. The thing that solidifies one's love of the band is their live show; when you see them up on stage doing their thing with all the energy they've got, and everyone around you is as into it as you are, it takes the experience to a whole different level. That's really what metal is all about; at its core, it's all somewhat silly music, but the point is to bring people together over the collective love of something that's a bit silly. It helps you learn to stop taking yourself too seriously, and start being social.
    If that's the case, then you shouldn't be listening to it alone on your iPods, no?
  • edited June 2009
    Amon Amarth is definitely a silly band, and like all extreme metal, you have to "get" it to like it. The thing that solidifies one's love of the band is their live show; when you see them up on stage doing their thing with all the energy they've got, and everyone around you is as into it as you are, it takes the experience to a whole different level. That's really what metal is all about; at its core, it's all somewhat silly music, but the point is to bring people together over the collective love of something that's a bit silly. It helps you learn to stop taking yourself too seriously, and start being social.
    If that's the case, then you shouldn't be listening to it alone on your iPods, no?
    Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it on its own. The whole point is to make music that appeals to a certain type of person, and then create a culture through which those people can socialize. You really sort of need to like the music in order to go to the show, though I do know a good number of people who enjoy shows simply for the live experience and don't really care about the music. Still, enjoying and appreciating the music by itself gives you the tools you need (and want) to socialize with other like-minded people.

Think about one of the main activities at a metal show: the mosh pit. You inherently cannot enjoy a mosh pit alone. In fact, the experience requires at least 8 people, and the more people you add, the more fun it becomes.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Amon Amarth is definitely a silly band, and like all extreme metal, you have to "get" it to like it. The thing that solidifies one's love of the band is their live show; when you see them up on stage doing their thing with all the energy they've got, and everyone around you is as into it as you are, it takes the experience to a whole different level. That's really what metal is all about; at its core, it's all somewhat silly music, but the point is to bring people together over the collective love of something that's a bit silly. It helps you learn to stop taking yourself too seriously, and start being social.
    Initial D is definitely a silly show, and like all dumb anime, you have to "get" it to like it. The thing that solidifies one's love of the show is the show; when you see them up on Mount Akina doing their thing with all the energy they've got, and everyone around you is as into it as you are, it takes the experience to a whole different level. That's really what Initial D is all about; at its core, it's all somewhat silly drift racing, but the point is to bring people together over the collective love of something that's a bit silly. It helps you learn to stop taking yourself too seriously, and start being social.
    Initial D is definitely a silly show, and like all dumb anime, you have to "get" it to like it. The thing that solidifies one's love of the show is the show; when you see them up on Mount Akina doing their thing with all the energy they've got, and everyone around you is as into it as you are, it takes the experience to a whole different level. That's really what Initial D is all about; at its core, it's all somewhat silly drift racing, but the point is to bring people together over the collective love of something that's a bit silly. It helps you learn to stop taking yourself too seriously, and start being social.
    Yes, but Initial D doesn't have vikings. Vikings make everything better.

And yes, metal shows = anime clubs = catalyst for socialization amongst social misfits. That's one reason (among many) that you find a high degree of correlation between geeks and metal fans. Welcome to the metal panel.
  • edited June 2009
    What is there to "get"? It is silly music. It makes me snort with glee. ^_^
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • And yes, metal shows = anime clubs = catalyst for socialization amongst social misfits.
    Or maybe anime fans just have horrible taste in music?
    What is there to "get"?
    I'm wondering this, too.
  • If you're wondering, you don't get it.
    No, I do get it. It is just not hard to get. It is obvious.
    NO YOU DON'T. YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND US!

Anyhow, this doesn't stop Amon Amarth from kicking all sorts of ass.

If you wind up liking their stuff, Li, you should check out some other melodic death metal. Give At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul a listen.
    What are you, 14? Peter, I understand you all too well. ^_~
    What are you, 14? Peter, I understand you all too well. ^_~
    No, I'm all dark and mysterious and shit. An enigma wrapped in...something. I won't tell you what. It adds to the mystery.
  • An enigma wrapped in...something. I won't tell you what. It adds to the mystery.
    Metal is not silly enough. If you want to be silly (read fuckwin awesome) you will have bagpipes in your band, that is silly, all these other metal bands just make music.
  • Metal is not silly enough. If you want to be silly (read fuckwin awesome) you will have bagpipes in your band, that is silly, all these other metal bands just make music.