This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Getting into a Band

13»

Comments

• Yeah, metal's not silly at all.
  • I think the problem with a lot of metal bands is that no matter how silly some of them may be, they still take themselves seriously.
  • I think the problem with a lot of metal bands is that no matter how silly some of them may be, they still take themselves seriously.
    LULZ. This is hardly true.
  • The best way to get into a band is picking an acclaimed album and then playing it low, as back ground music, this will get your subconscious acquainted with the album. Then listen normally. That's how I do it, If something jumps at me when listening as background music, I'll listen to that track first, unless it's a continuous album.
  • What? Dude, listening like that absolutely ruins records for me. When I put something on as background music before giving it a thorough, active listening, I get used to it and when I do feel like actively listening there are no surprises. For me, and I know it doesn't apply to everyone, I do most of my active first listening in the car. I feel like on my first listen I owe it to the musicians to put some effort into appreciating what they've done.
  • I feel like on my first listen I owe it to the musicians to put some effort into appreciating what they've done.
    By riding a car... Wow, American? You could try and actually hear the song(s), just, don't play it over your standard shitty car stereo while you're driving.
  • I feel like on my first listen I owe it to the musicians to put some effort into appreciating what they've done.
    By riding a car... Wow, American? You could try and actually hear the song(s), just, don't play it over your standard shitty car stereo while you're driving.
    Who says your car stereo has to be shitty?

I'm also a fan of listening as an activity. One of the reasons that I like very aggressive and complex metal is that it really can't be background music. It demands your attention.
  • Who says your car stereo has to be shitty?
    Over 95% of car stereos are pure shit. It is very darn likely that he does not have a car stereo worth shit. You're also ignoring the driving part, car noise, other car noise, you are really doing it wrong if you get into a band that way.
  • You're an idiot. There is no wrong way to get into a band.
  • Over 95% of car stereos are pure shit.
    in Europe.
  • edited June 2009
    Krishna doesn't drive. He means listening to it on headsets while riding in the car, I'm fairly sure.
    Post edited by Sail on
    There are stupid ways. The meme's inflexible.
    Krishna doesn't drive. He means listening to it on headsets while riding in the car, I'm fairly sure.
    Now I'm even more baffled. Why? You wouldn't bring a running portable generator with you to a concert/performance, now would you? I can see the point of, hey you've got little else to do than listen music, but it's not that hard to just sit down in a chair and listen.
  • Krishna doesn't drive. He means listening to it on headsets while riding in the car, I'm fairly sure.
    Yeah.
    Now I'm even more baffled. Why? You wouldn't bring a running portable generator with you to a concert/performance, now would you? I can see the point of, hey you've got little else to do than listen music, but it's not that hard to just sit down in a chair and listen.
    That comparison doesn't make any sense to me. It is hard for me to sit down in a chair and listen. When I am in a car (being driven by people who are not me for upwards of 30 minutes while wearing great headphones) I find it a lot easier to concentrate on the music.
  • That comparison doesn't make any sense to me. It is hard for me to sit down in a chair and listen. When I am in a car (being driven by people who are not me for upwards of 30 minutes while wearing great headphones) I find it a lot easier to concentrate on the music.
    Basically you have no attention span, le sigh. Ah well. More crazy unfathomable stories!
  • edited June 2009
    don't play it over your standard shitty car stereo while you're driving.
    Over 95% of car stereos are pure shit.
    Is this another one of your trolls? I drive a 2004 Chevy Cavalier and the stock system is by far better than any set of speakers in my house. If you have some high end shit on your computer, good for you. Most cars usually have pretty decent stereos, and if it doesn't and you care about music, you should damn well go do something about it.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • The only thing that sucks about listening to music with car speakers is that all the noise from driving can make some parts of the music difficult to hear if you're listening to something with a lot of highs and lows. But that has nothing to do the stereo being bad.
  • edited June 2009
    Note how I said some, not all. Are you trying to tell me that no metal bands take themselves seriously?
    You're an idiot. There is no wrong way to get into a band.
    Listening to a band's most recent single and then deciding whether or not you like them based on that song alone is a wrong way...unless it's 3oh3 or hollywood undead or some garbage like that. In that case it's perfectly fine.
    The only thing that sucks about listening to music with car speakers is that all the noise from driving can make some parts of the music difficult to hear if you're listening to something with a lot of highs and lows. But that has nothing to do the stereo being bad.
    True. On the other hand, you can just turn it up. Also, with the windows up, most cars filter out a good deal of noise.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited June 2009
    Note how I said some, not all.
    No, you didn't. You said a lot.
    I think the problem with a lot of metal bands is that [no matter how silly some of them may be,] they still take themselves seriously.
    "Some" is modifying the wrong subject. You said the problem is with "a lot" of bands and that "some" of them are silly. You did not say "some" in reference to bands having the "problem". I hope you see the error in your wording and why it makes your original statement untrue and completely different from the opinion you are now expressing.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Regardless, gimme a couple of interview links. I want to see some hard facts and shit to back this up.

I already know that System of a Down is a bunch of jokesters. No need to link to that interview they have up on youtube.
  • Here are some videos of people from metal bands being silly.

Here are some videos of people from metal bands being humble.

Listening to a band's most recent single and then deciding whether or not you like them based on that song alone is a wrong way...unless it's 3oh3 or hollywood undead or some garbage like that. In that case it's perfectly fine.
    Yeah, there's plenty of wrong reasons to choose not to get into a band. However, if you get into a band, but later change your mind, you haven't really lost much.
  • I want to listen to some more Pirate and Viking metal. I already listen to Amon Amarth, Swashbuckle, and Alestorm. Any suggestions?
  • edited July 2009
    Pirate metal, I have no idea. In Viking metal, it depends on what you're after. Most Viking metal is really folk metal, and most folk metal is not like Finntroll or Korpiklaani. Most folk metal has a strong black metal streak through it, so it can be very abrasive. If you're really interested in going there, check out the album Yersinia Pestis by Helheim. The band Oakenshield also deals a lot with Vikings.

EDIT: One last word of warning about Scandinavian folk metal. Remember that folk music is generally about, well, the people that made it, so most folk music can have a bit of a nationalistic bend at times. It's often just folksy pride with regard to your roots and that sort of thing. Scandinavia is full of white people, so their folk music talks about white people stuff. Some people take it to the white power extreme.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I want to listen to some more Pirate and Viking metal. I already listen to Amon Amarth, Swashbuckle, and Alestorm. Any suggestions?
    I'm not too familiar with Pirate metal, but I know a really good Viking metal band. They're called Wintersun, they've only released one album so far, but they are on their way with a 2nd one this year I believe.
    I'm not too familiar with Pirate metal, but I know a really good Viking metal band. They're called Wintersun, they've only released one album so far, but they are on their way with a 2nd one this year I believe.
    Just wiki'd them. I'll have to check them out.

Also, check out Ensiferum.
  • Does anyone know anything about Cellador?
  • Beatle's Greatest Hits.
    "She Loves You"
    "Love Me Do"
    "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
    "Can't Buy Me Love"
    "A Hard Day's Night"
    "I Feel Fine"
    "Eight Days a Week"
    "Ticket to Ride"
    "Help!"
    "Yesterday"
    "We Can Work It Out"
    "Paperback Writer"
    Side two
    "Penny Lane"
    "All You Need Is Love"
    "Hello, Goodbye"
    "Hey Jude" (Edited 5:05 version)
    "Get Back"
    "Come Together"
    "Let It Be"
    "The Long and Winding Road"

Looks like a winner to me. Could use some gently weeping guitars, though.
    that album isn't even available and it is only comprised of #1's. The Red and Blue albums serve much better as a greatest hits album